• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting the itch for a TacOps. Questions for those that have shot these

mosquitoshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
OK, just took delivery of my GAP 338 Lapua 3 weeks ago and am looking for whats next. I have a serious custom rifle and 1911 problem!!! Anyway, I left a message a couple days ago on Tacop's VM but have not heard back. Called back again today and got the VM. Obviously, they are busy. I have searched forums high and low to try to see how these guns perform for their owners as long range rifles . Also, if the groups they guarantee (1/4 MOA) are in fact the norm for these people that own them. Obviously, it depends on the shooter!!!! The test targets that come with them are AMAZING!!

If you search for owners' of any other high quality custom rifles you will have many people that are more than happy to show off the performance and groups online. I just havent seen these posts/videos with Tacops so I am curious as I am thinking of ordering one. With that being said, I have also NOT SEEN ONE incidence where any owners were indicating they had an "issue" with their's. But again, not much in the area of performance. I went to youtube and found nothing other than a guy shooting something 400 yards away without even aiming. If you saw it, you know what I am talking about. I would imagine the lack of information out there is just because they are not as "common" as some other custom rifles. Basically, I am wondering if I go with the TacOps for $1k or so more than my #2 option. Or, go with my #2 option. I love the pictures in the other thread but to me the cosmetics is only cherry on the top. I use the shit out of my stuff!!!

Owners, do you have any stories/groups to share about the 100 - 1,000 yard capabilities of your Tacops?

I am thinking of the XRay in 308 as I like the Mcmillan A5 stock. I am 6'6" with long limbs so i want it as adjustable as possible. Any opinions are welcome.

Be persistent in getting in contact with Mike - he's the best person to run through your questions and help guide you towards the right configuration for you.

Mike builds some of the best rifles out there. I've got a 308 and a 300WM and both shoot .1s. However, if you order one, you're looking at a 2 year wait. If I were you, I'd save up and buy one used. There's one for $3600 in the for sale section that's a screaming deal. My favorite model is the Tango series, by the way. Great combo of handiness and dead-nuts accuracy.

Mile High has a TacOps 300wm in an A5 stock and I believe a 260 with a Surgeon action too.

They are nice rifles and shoot great. I'll bet you that you won't be able to replicate the test target; Not even once. :D

Keep an eye out for them in the For Sale forum.

They are nice rifles and shoot great. I'll bet you that you won't be able to replicate the test target; Not even once. :D

LOL, i think i can come close. To your point it does look like Mike not only builds a hell of a rifle, he can shoot too!!

Mike and his crew provide awesome customer service. I have found calling Mike later in the afternoon/early evening was the best time to get a hold of him. Your results may vary though!

Actually it has been done more than you may think.

My previous Delta51 came with a test target of 0.099

I beat it shooting 0.017.

Also the new owner of said rifle also beat it and wrote a good review of the rifle. Rather than editing it, here is the entire review along with the photos:

First off id like to send a BIG BIG thank you to Danny from delta tactical for helping me a quire this amazing rifle, Thanks Danny for everything mate, id like to say Danny was nicest most honest , professional person i have delt with in a long time, he went above and beyond the call of duty in this transaction, we spent many emails and phone conversations, he always took the time to answer any questions i had and made me feel assured that everything was going well, especially when dealing with such a high value transaction, and to top it off Danny personally drove the rifle up from victoria to deliver it to me at my dealer in sydney, hows that for customer service, once again thanks heaps mate much appreciated. Ifs there is anything i can do for you you know where to contact me.

The rifle is a Tac Ops delta51 chambered in 308w, these rifles come from Tactical Operations Beverly Hills California, built by Mike Rescigno and his team.
The core of the Tac Ops rifles is the Remington 700 action. Every aspect of the action is trued or "blueprinted" to precise Tac Ops standards, which is considerably more than the typical squaring of all the surfaces. From the recoil lug and action face, threads, bolt face, locking lugs, even the bolt body, everything is lined up precisely, and then faced for squareness, parallelism and concentricity. At all times they try to hold their tolerances to .0001”.

Tac Ops delta51 barrel come from Krieger this one is chrome moly but they are made to a specific proprietary spec provided by Tac Ops the chamber is cut at Tac ops for federal Gold Medal Match and headspaced to .001" . They also use their own precision ground recoil lugs and their own crown design with thread protector. The complete action and Barrel are cryogenically treated to relieve stress.
The barreled action is bedded into the stock using a traditional aluminum pillar glass bedding procedure with a free floated barrel channel.

The stock on the Delta 51 is the McMillan A3 stock which has adjustable cheek weld, length of pull and cant, The bottom metal is Tac ops own design and stock is fitted with anchutz rail with sling studs and atlas bipod mount. Again, paying extreme attention to fit and finish, Tac Ops takes the standard McMillan stock and refinishes it with their own application of a rough texture for all weather gripping and then a durable epoxy paint.

The trigger is the old style factory Remington set at 2.5 lbs. Its very crisp and breaks cleanly and without any creep.

The rifle is incredibley well-balanced. All metal work is finished in Birdsong BlackT and Green T, its a special finish that was developed by Walter Birdsong and is a finish that all other rifle finishes are judged by, here is a good review of the rifle finish: http://www.snipercen...om/birdsong.htm

Someone once called Mike Rescigno of Tactical Operations, Inc. the “Hattori Hanzo of rifle builders”. With this extreme attention to detail, I would have to agree!

If you want an extremely accurate rifle with a very high level of attention to the details, then any Tac Ops should be considered. Words alone cannot adequately describe the quality of these rifles. They must be handled and shot to truly appreciate their capabilities.

The tac Ops rifles are used by over 600 agencies world wide, including the alphabet agencies of the USA, and many law enforcement snipers, these are pure sniper rifles capable of delivering surgical precision in the hands of a skilled shooter. All the tac ops rifles are guaranteed to shoot better than 1/4 MOA @ 100m with Federal Gold medal match ammunition.

This rifle came with a test target of 0.099 but sorry Mike i beat it mate, best groups so far are as low as 0.022 shot twice in a row, at 100m with FGMM 168gr.

If anybody would like to purchase one of these masterpieces i recommend you contact Danny @ delta Tactical, they are the sole Australian distributor of Tac Ops rifles in Australia, Danny has all the import permits in order to bring these into the country, Danny also has first hand experience and has traveled to meet Mike and his team in the USA to see how these babies are made. Once again Big thank you Danny.

tac Ops website can be found here:
Tactical Operations Inc.

Specs: Tac Ops delta 51
Caliber: .308w
Action: Remington M700, Accurized and blue-printed to Tac Ops specs
Weight: 7kg with Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 FFP M5 & atlas bipod.
Barrel: Tac Ops 21” with 1 in 10” twist, Match Grade proprietary chrome moly Krieger, threaded with a Class 3A thread for sound suppressor & Cryogenically treated.
Chamber: Match spec reamed with .001 head space
Stock: McMillan A3
Base: Tac Ops 2 piece 34 moa piece base in Black-T
Trigger & Pull: Remington factory trigger with 2.5 lb pull
Metal Finish: Birdsong proprietary Green-T and Black-T

regards Ed

Last edited:
I am the current owner of a Tango51 and can say without a doubt it will shoot 1/4 MOA. I don't have any pics on my phone at the moment but I can post some later.

A TacOps is like a Ferrari IMO. Not only are they bad ass, but there is something cool about saying "yeah I own a TacOps"

PS if you already own a GAP, might as well add a TacOps to the collection [emoji16]

It's amazing how one can turn a cheap Remington 700 action into a $5000 rifle.

I don't know that I could pay 1k more for a tacops than a gap. But everyone has their own opinion.

I don't know that I could pay 1k more for a tacops than a gap. But everyone has their own opinion.

Mike called me back and I talked to him yesterday. Wonderful guy!!!! Knowledgable too!!! Very willing to take the time to listen and answer questions. It is actually $1,500 more than a GAP. This isnt a problem for me but my wife is having issues giving me the go ahead. I will keep chipping away at her:)

Mike called me back and I talked to him yesterday. Wonderful guy!!!! Knowledgable too!!! Very willing to take the time to listen and answer questions. It is actually $1,500 more than a GAP. This isnt a problem for me but my wife is having issues giving me the go ahead. I will keep chipping away at her:)

I'm sure it's a awesome rifle. Good luck with your decision. 1500 buys a lot of 338 and 308 ammo for practice

My take-
They're boring. They're boringly accurate. You know exactly where the bullet will hit before you squeeze the trigger. Sometimes I get bored shooting my Tango-51 with no wind as I know what will happen. At least with wind there is some challenge and some unknown. The quality is top of the line. The craftsmanship is unreal. The attention to detail is unrivaled. Mike has a two year wait and spends zero dollars on marketing- what does that tell you?

Just traded my X-Ray 51 for my 3rd Tango 51 + $$. Have owed/shot most of the variants Echo, Lima, Delta 55. You get what you pay for and can't go wrong with any of them. The tango for me is more versatile and not as heavy. Accuracy is no issue and you need your trigger time.

Also, here's a very good read that Mike posted when he was called out by another well known smith as well as several other individuals. This post really shows how smart the guy really is. Very knowledgeable would be an understatement.

Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)

Yeah, I just re-read this a few days ago. Check the part about the bullet in flight describing a "helix" around a center, and about how a bullet from a more accurate rifle, traveling in a tighter helix, is affected less by wind. After I read all this stuff, I ordered a lightweight Delta 51 (308) with a Tango barrel from Mike. Or you could say it's a Tango with the Delta adjustable stock. It will prob. be another 6-12 months before I get the call…….

Last edited:
Also, here's a very good read that Mike posted when he was called out by another well known smith as well as several other individuals. This post really shows how smart the guy really is. Very knowledgeable would be an understatement.

Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)

With Mike, "close enough" is not good enough. "Close enough" means there is error and Mike does not accept error. The man is very smart and very OCD. Where most builders take measurements into the thousandths, Mike takes them into the millionths. "Close enough" does not exist in Mikes vocabulary: he is a perfectionist to the core.

Building a super accurate rifle for Mike is simply getting down to the basics. Get everything perfectly square, perfectly concentric, perfectly level, perfectly machined: that is what equals accurate, and he is right. I had a 45 minute conversation with him about this just yesterday. The best ammo with the best barrel in the world can not fix a bolt that is not perfectly square to the bore or a barrel that is not centered on the receiver. Simple math shows that a .0001 error at the start equals a very noticeable error at 600 yards or more. All problems start at the beginning and all solutions start at the beginning.

With Mike, "close enough" is not good enough. "Close enough" means there is error and Mike does not accept error. The man is very smart and very OCD. Where most builders take measurements into the thousandths, Mike takes them into the millionths. "Close enough" does not exist in Mikes vocabulary: he is a perfectionist to the core.

Building a super accurate rifle for Mike is simply getting down to the basics. Get everything perfectly square, perfectly concentric, perfectly level, perfectly machined: that is what equals accurate, and he is right. I had a 45 minute conversation with him about this just yesterday. The best ammo with the best barrel in the world can not fix a bolt that is not perfectly square to the bore or a barrel that is not centered on the receiver. Simple math shows that a .0001 error at the start equals a very noticeable error at 600 yards or more. All problems start at the beginning and all solutions start at the beginning.

I couldn’t have said it better myself – you’re spot on. Don’t bother Mike while he’s in the Shop – he might crack you in the head with a Krieger #9. You could eat of his workbenches in the Shop, but he’s also got a Cook’s Kitchen with a Wolf gourmet stove & secondary grill for steaks and chops. If you’re ever in town get him to cook for you sometime he as good in the kitchen as he is in the shop .<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Keith<o:p></o:p>

I have a Delta 51 and I love it. I have not shot much with work schedule and all but what I have shot it is laser accurate. I had a great experience with Mike and have become friends with him.

The steel target was a three shot group in the black at 450 yds with a witness. We didn't have anything to measure with but we all know the size of a .308 bullet.

Some pics of targets and the rifle...

Attachments

• DSC03615.jpg
    DSC03615.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • group 2.jpg
    group 2.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Tac Ops 450yds.jpg
    Tac Ops 450yds.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: