• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud case trimmer questions? Likes dislikes?

SuperXJeff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2008
Oregon
I am going to take the plunge for a Giraud case trimmer. Is their anything that anybody does NOT like about them? I full length resize every time and shoot some brass stretchers. 22- 250, 300 Winchester Mag as well as the mundane .270/30-06 and .223, .260 rem. .243 .308
If anybody has dislikes or reasons I shouldn't buy one of these I would like to hear from you. The reasons you love them are nice but i have already talked myself into buying one. Just want to hear about what I may have not thought about. PM me if you want. This isn't meant as a flame to the Giraud just objective opinions from guys who have them or had them. Thanks Jeff

Re: Giraud case trimmer questions? Likes dislikes?

I don't like that they do not have a margarita attachment yet. Other than that you can't beat them.

If you don't have the $ and are going to put it on a card, don't buy it. Other than that....

Really, the Giraud is a best option out there. Even the benchrest guys go for the Giraud. I've tried the Sinclair, Forster, even a Gracey and sold them all to focus exclusively on the Giraud.

That said, the only item that I would like to improve on the Giraud is the case holder setup. This is a suggestion I've sent over to Doug and am hoping that this somehow is engineered at some point.

The case holder screws into the aluminum cutter housing and you adjust the depth by torquing down an external bolt to hold the thing is place. If you need to shorten or lengthen the trim-to-length, you'll have to unscrew the main bolt and gingerly screw the case holder in and out using a large wrench until you get it right. The problems with this setup are that if you don't torque down the external bolt enough, the case holder can rotate on you. In addition, the setup is not repeatable when converting over to another caliber and converting back.

My suggestion was to come up with a case holder that had a fixed bolt permanently bonded to the case holder. From there you would have a micrometer engraved set of lines on the case holder and be able to pull out and twist the inner portion to allow .001" adjustments to trim length. This would allow a "set it up and forget it" capability with the case holders and allow finer adjustment and repeatability when switching calibers. This would essentially have an external housing, a middle unit with finer threading and spring, and the inner portion to support the brass from the index point on the shoulder.

In summary, this would be an improvement on an already industry leading design but is the only way I can think of to improve the setup. Even if these were introduced, you'd be able to retrofit your existing trimmer anyway so you're on the right track as is!

My complaint is that I should have bought it way earlier than when I did. All those hours I wasted doing them the hard/long way, gone forever. Seriously, this thing takes the most time consuming/frustrating part of reloading and makes it very easy and fast. Almost feels like I am cheating every time I use it!

I put in my order with Dougs wife today. I guess he must be pretty close to caught up as I may see mine in less then a month. Im only 41 but my hands hurt for two days after prepping only 200 rounds of brass. Some things are worth what you pay for them for different reasons. I have a hydraulic shot-shell loader not for speed but for ease on my back. This thing may prove to be the same type of thing. Jeff

Fix for Hazardus

Remove the case holder and the dumb hex nut.

Throw hex nut at cat.

Replace hex nut with Forster die lock ring. Once set to desired depth as before tighten Forster die lock ring. Shell holders will now hot swap. They only need to be hand tight into the machine. With the wide surface area of the forster lock ring, they will not unscrew.

Why Doug doesn't do this from the get go is beyond me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My complaint is that I should have bought it way earlier than when I did. All those hours I wasted doing them the hard/long way, gone forever. Seriously, this thing takes the most time consuming/frustrating part of reloading and makes it very easy and fast. Almost feels like I am cheating every time I use it! </div></div>

My thoughts as well!

You will not regret your purchase.

Best money I've ever spent on reloading. PERIOD

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks bachelorjack, I think this is the second beer I owe you.

Re: Giraud case trimmer questions? Likes dislike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fix for Hazardus

Throw hex nut at cat.

Replace hex nut with Forster die lock ring. Once set to desired depth as before tighten Forster die lock ring. Shell holders will now hot swap. They only need to be hand tight into the machine. With the wide surface area of the forster lock ring, they will not unscrew.

Why Doug doesn't do this from the get go is beyond me. </div></div>

Dude that is the smartest idea since sliced bread! Muchos Gracias Senior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fix for Hazardus

Throw hex nut at cat.

Dude that is the smartest idea since sliced bread! Muchos Gracias Senior. </div></div>

This is what I do. I've got the lock rings and you can repeatably screw them in at the right depth every time.

Repeatable post......... Locking ring with a set of Skip's Shims.

I do offer them if you want them. The problem is that while some people think the machine is expensive, but worth it, for every ten orders, I get four complaints that its too expensive. Right now, I use the Dillon lock rings because they are the least expensive that do the job. I am trying to keep costs down. I usually mention to most buyers to take a locking die ring off an unused die if they don't want to spend the extra bucks mine. To offer them as a standard, I would have to add five or six bucks to the price of the case holder. While most don't blink too much at that, I do have to listen quite a bit to those that do.

Thanks,
Doug Giraud
Giraud Tool Company, Inc.

Skip's Shims? I think I can guess how these help with the fine adjustment but please, tell us more? Where? How do they work?

I thought I knew a lot about case trimmers but this thread is proving that you learn something new everyday!

And I have to give kudos to Doug for joining the conversation. A good man for sure. If you need a custom case holder (in my case a 6.5-08 AI), he was more than willing to accommodate.

You will be very happy with the Giraud, my 3 year old loves to help tumble the media from the cases and is always wanting to help me do more with case prep. Lets just say that now with my supervision of course and a helpful hand he can even trim brass using the Giraud. Great product Doug

My 8 yr old son gets to trim now using the Giraud. He says its "as easy as sharpening a pencil Dad!....evan a caveman could do it!" Something tells me he is watching too much tv too..and not trimming enough brass!

As for dislikes for this trimmer, I have none, nada, zippo. I mean, really, you can take this trimmer, a box of 1,000 pcs of brass, and go thru them like a hot knife thru butter in no time at all. Try that with any other trimmer.

ALso be sure to routine clean out the brass shavings from behind the shield...you dont want that crap accumulating in there.

Just bite the dang bullet and buy the dang trimmer for goodness sakes! You will only cry once and then you will smile every time you trim brass and you will laugh at all your buddies that are hand cranking their trimmers! :)

John

As with everyone else, by far the best reloading equipment investment I have made.

However, I do have one little annoying thing. Adjusting the cutter is a lesson in patience. An adjusting screw to move the insert would be much appreciated.

I bought a Giraud Case trimmer with for .223 .308 and .50 I used to load .50 Commercially and I have trimmed 5 5gal. buckets of GI brass every night for a week and everyone was nearly perfect length. It was really making my job alot easier. I guess I have trimmed over 15,000 .50 BMG cases with the Giraud trimmer. It just works. Mike

I'm glad I ran across this post today. I have been looking at these for awhile. I checked out the web site again today and noticed they have a price increase coming up. I'm going to get my order in on Monday.

the lock ring idea is god damn brilliant....

Doug, sent me mine a few weeks ago. I can't believe i didn't order it earlier!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skip's Shims? I think I can guess how these help with the fine adjustment but please, tell us more? Where? How do they work?</div></div>

Doug's trimmer is honestly the best quality tool for the money that I've ever invested in. I've got a trimmer and three heads geting ready to buy 2 more heads.

If you have several rifles in one caliber and you set the shoulders back differently you can use the shims to compensate for the difference in trim length rather than resetting the head each time.

You guys are going to cost me money! I just trimmed on a Wilson/Sinclair and then chamfered and deburred a lot of 223, life is too short to waste it doing these tedious and painful tasks, guess I will have to take the plunge!

How hard are they to change to a different caliber? Say from .308 Win to 7mm Rem Mag to 300 Win Mag? And whats the wait time on them usually?

I wish I would have requested the case hold be made using a Palma or other match reamer. I just specified 308 Win. and it isn't as tight as it could be. If I'm not careful, it doesn't chamfer perfectly symmetrically. Pretty sure you can specify that, and I would if the intent is to use it for a precision bolt gun.

case holder and trimmer blade.... 3 mins... and maybe a few minutes to tune the trim.... now that i use a lock ring with a set screw on the case holder..... 3mins flat....

you guys are stellar

Well I just called and placed my order with his wife. She was very nice and helpful. Did the full setup with extra holders/cutters and the meplat setup.

She quoted me the total and then laughed and said, "Well buy once and cry once I guess."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I just called and placed my order with his wife. She was very nice and helpful. Did the full setup with extra holders/cutters and the meplat setup.

She quoted me the total and then laughed and said, "Well buy once and cry once I guess." </div></div>

I took the plung myself on Monday of this week. I only cried for a couple hours.
wink.gif

Yeah, but once you get it in your hands and start using it, you will be smiling with joy and will never shed another tear! Just reading this thread has got me thinking I might go out, find some brass that needs trimmed and do some trimming just to fire up my trimmer! Weehoo...to actually look forward to trimming! Only with a Giruad!

John

Well I just got the email notice from UPS with the tracking number for my trimmer. I'm guessing the newest batch is done and they are shipping them out now. Can't wait to play with my new toy.

I was away went Dougs wife called but goy with her last Wednesday and my trimmer wasa shipped last week. Should be here on the 30th of October. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Man am I looking forward to not chamfering cases. Jeff

Got my trimmer and trimmed 400 22-250 cases. This machine has already paid for itself just not having to chamfer the bastards. Best reloading tool I have purchased. Jeff

Love it
No short comings
His service is excellent.

2nd, that. Would love to see something for primer pocket reaming (replace my swager) and to uniform/clean primer pockets.

Yeah, UPS is supposed to deliver mine tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.A. Lawman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">case holder and trimmer blade.... 3 mins... and maybe a few minutes to tune the trim.... now that i use a lock ring with a set screw on the case holder..... 3mins flat....

you guys are stellar </div></div>
<span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> Any one have a pic with the locking ring and set screw set up installed?

what is the average life of the cutter? I ordered my trimmer two weeks ago and I don't know if I should get two cutters for 223.

The cutter is carbide and should, if used properly, last a long time. My Giraud is 5 years old and runs just as it did new. I trim both 223 and 308.

OK SHIT I GAVE UP AND JUST ordered one with heads for 6 br 6 xc 308 and 338 Lapua

I have been hearing about these for ever and could not take it any longer!!!!!!!!!!

now waht about that lock ring mod???
where can you get that
Bill

Any forster lock ring??

Sorry just ordered and have not seen the set up yet

Thanks Bill

Bachlor your over your pm limit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fix for Hazardus

Throw hex nut at cat.

LOVES MINE!!! .223 & 7mmWSM! Works wonders for arthritic thumbs!!

gun009.jpg

Bachelor Jack,

Most shooters who seriously reload have extra dies of some type they never use. Just take a lock ring off one of those unused dies and don't spend a penny extra. If you want, I have the forester lock rings for an additional $4 each.

Why I don't do this from the get go is that about a third of the orders don't even know what it is, second third would snag one off thier unused dies, the last third would scream like a stuck pig that they should spend another $4 on top of the order. I just don't want to listen to more complaints that the machine is too expensive as it is. Adding more for the lock rings just didn't seem like time and effort well spent when most users already have them on hand, they just need to look around to find them.

Thanks,
Doug Giraud

Thank You
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any forster lock ring??

</div></div>

This one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=282628
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhg2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bachelor Jack,

Most shooters who seriously reload have extra dies of some type they never use. Just take a lock ring off one of those unused dies and don't spend a penny extra. If you want, I have the forester lock rings for an additional $4 each.

Why I don't do this from the get go is that about a third of the orders don't even know what it is, second third would snag one off thier unused dies, the last third would scream like a stuck pig that they should spend another $4 on top of the order. I just don't want to listen to more complaints that the machine is too expensive as it is. Adding more for the lock rings just didn't seem like time and effort well spent when most users already have them on hand, they just need to look around to find them.

Thanks,
Doug Giraud </div></div>

Doug,

I get it. From a business stand point it makes sense. I just think if you put it up as a hint in your literature or website the lightbulb would go off in more guys heads. This thread alone has caused atleast 6 ah ha moments for members here. I'm basing this off of PM's or phone calls I have recieved since my initial post here.

One thing is for certain. You make an incredible product. I'll be calling you tomorrow for a .243 shell holder and maybe some other goodies. Thanks again for coming on here and posting. We all really appreciate it.

Doug
Thanks for the product, were all just trying to help each other out
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhg2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bachelor Jack,

Thanks,
Doug Giraud </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using the meplat trimmer for the bullets????? </div></div>
I have the meplat trimmer but have been disappointed each time I've tried to use it. I can feel a slight burr on the nose after uniforming the meplat, maybe I need a better techninique for inserting, holding or rotating the bullets during cutting. If Doug reads this, I'm hoping he will suggest one.