• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Glass for LTR

chancemack

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2012
Hey there guys,

I am a newbie to precision bolt rifles, but just recently picked up a .308 LTR to use for long range(600yds)/hunting applications. I am looking for recommendations on good glass to start with. I have a Seekins 20moa base and badger medium(30mm) rings already. I have been kicking around the Mark 4 4.5-15x50 L/RT and the Viper PST. I don't have a ton of experience with nicer glass, so my apologies ahead of time if I say or ask something stupid. The best thing that I am running currently is a Super Sniper HD 1-4 on my Recce build.

I have entertained NightForce scopes but in a side by side with the Leupold, the NF seemed noticeably heavier.

I am looking to stay in the 800 to 1100 dollar range and have no problem buying used, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Re: Glass for LTR

You could keep it in the family and get a Super Sniper 3-9x42. I've never used one but I've heard good things. FFP, mil/mil, 3x on the low end for hunting and 9x is plenty to get you to 600 yards. And well below your budget.

One way to go about choosing a scope is to think about what features are important to you and then prioritize them:

- Is Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA important?
- Illuminated?
- Specific reticle?
- First focal plane or second focal plane?
- Power range?
- Objective size?
- Covered or Target style turrets?
- Durability?
- Weight?
- Eye relief?

I originally went with a Sightron SIII then upgraded to a Nightforce NXS. I always wanted the NF but could not afford it in the beginning. The Sightron kept its value and after a year I easily upgraded. Now I'm upgrading to a Nightforce F1. Personally, NF offers everything I want in a scope at a price I can stomach. They are heavy, but I'm willing to ignore those extra ounces considering what else I get. You may find another brand better meets your wants and needs once you start narrowing them down...

My SWFA 3-9 x 42 kicks ass. It's what came on a certain GAP rifle I just absolutely love. No I didn't put it there, and at the time all I owned was a pair of USO's. AS a entry level, low dollar scope, the SWFA SS's are freakin awesome and a superb choice for a first rifle with budget in mind. Oh, and if you think they can't shoot, I did pretty darn good with it in a smiley comp a few years back, but my kid outshot me with my rifle!

I ran an LTR with a NF 2.5-10X32 and it was a great fit for the 20" barrel. Short of that, the SS 3-9 was pretty good in most respects when I tried one out on it.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I am looking forward to soaking up a considerable amount of optic knowledge from the site. It is going to be a toss up for now, I think I am going to search for a used Nightforce NXS for the time being. If I dont have any luck tracking one down, I may just go with a new SS.

Lonely Wolf, great advice on looking at must haves and eliminating from there. Which NXS did you have?

Thanks for the replys.

I had the 3.5-15x50mm Mil/Mil with MLR. It’s a great scope. I like the power range as I can hunt or target shoot easily with it.

Honestly, the only reason I’m upgrading is I’m slowly building my first custom rifle and figured I’d get some new glass to go with it. I had no complaints with my NXS so it seemed only logical to step up to the F1 and have a first focal plane scope. I'm really just spoiling myself as I really don't need a FFP scope...

A Mil/Mil MD2 should be shipped any day now…
smile.gif

I started with a Leupold M1 3.5 to10x40 on my .308 LTR. Upgraded to a NF NXS 3.5 to 15x50. Also have a couple NF 2.5 to 10x32s. Any of those scopes will work well on a LTR.

I bought the NXS used when I priced a new Leupold 4.5 to 14 with options.