• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glock 17 grip...thumb presses on mag release causing failure to chamber round

.308winguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2021
Sacramento
My second rounds were not chambering. Turned out my thumb was pressing down lightly on the mag release, causing the mag to slightly drop. Is this some sort of well-kept secret, or common knowledge. Seems like a beg deal to me!

Your grip would have to be pretty low for your thumb to be pressing on the mag release. Like REALLY low.

The more common problem is a the thumb causing pressure on the slide stop, preventing the slide from locking back on an empty mag.

My second rounds were not chambering. Turned out my thumb was pressing down lightly on the mag release, causing the mag to slightly drop. Is this some sort of well-kept secret, or common knowledge. Seems like a beg deal to me!
I am sorry to question this, but are you gripping your gun like a revolver? Or like the old cup and saucer method? I’m simply unsure how a thumbs forward modern grip could possible engage the mag release.

Could you maybe post a picture so we could see?

Reactions: Racer88
This doesn’t let you off the hook for proper technique but I prefer this.

So for some reason I didn’t compute the original post. If lightly touching the mag release on a Glock by pressing down is releasing the mag, me thinks there is a problem seeing as how they are designed to be pushed in not down like say HK releases. I ignorantly thought we were discussing pressure on the slide stop inadvertently which is very common. The kit I posted above helps that but I stand by what I also said that it doesn’t replace proper technique

He's talking about the mag release, not the slide stop / release.

my grip is high. I use a wedge, forefinger around the trigger guard. The base of my thumb "non-trigger" hand, sits right on top of the mag release. A little pressure seems to be causing the mag to start to (not fully) release. I don't think I'm over thinking this.

Sounds to me like you should move your support hand. No real reason I can think of why you’d want a finger around the trigger guard.

91F4102D-F1FF-44D8-B832-04C4E07806C8.jpeg

I am no pistol-wizard. Not advocating for the above pic.

I found this pic of a fellow doing what I think you do with your off-hand index finger.

I struggle to imagine how on earth you are getting the base of your left-hand’s thumb on the mag release??

Here’s a gen4 g17
1698045861915.jpeg

You’re going to have to post a pic of how you hold the gun, methinks.

as for the grip:

My thumb, per se, isn't on the mag release, it is the meaty part at the lower end of my thumb.

I spoke with a range master and he said he says a failure to battery not uncommon with G-17s

as for the grip:

My thumb, per se, isn't on the mag release, it is the meaty part at the lower end of my thumb.

I spoke with a range master and he said he says a failure to battery not uncommon with G-17s

OK... something just occurred to me... if barely nudging the mag release button is causing the mag to drop down just enough to cause a malfunction...

Maybe it's the mag? There's a notch in the mag that engages with the "mag catch" (the inside extension of the mag release). Is that boogered up?

I found this example:
1698073050508.png

Or is it the mag catch itself? Is it aftermarket? Is it an extended mag release button? Is the spring not seated correctly? Or not strong enough?

OK... something just occurred to me... if barely nudging the mag release button is causing the mag to drop down just enough to cause a malfunction...

Maybe it's the mag? There's a notch in the mag that engages with the "mag catch" (the inside extension of the mag release). Is that boogered up?

I found this example:
View attachment 8255365

Or is it the mag catch itself? Is it aftermarket? Is it an extended mag release button? Is the spring not seated correctly? Or not strong enough?
That’s what I was asking because pressing down on the mag release shouldn’t do anything on a Glock

I have a lightly used Glock 19x bought new. I cannot drop the mag even a little bit, even on purpose and pressing as hard as I can on the mag release with the meaty base of thumb portion of my left hand (I’m right handed).

Like, not even gripping the gun as normal, but specifically trying to press the mag release with the meaty base-part of my left thumb.

Maybe that’s because the release spring is basically new and so are the mags?

I have medium-to-large hands with skinny fingers.

Hmmmm…

Last edited:
That’s what I was asking because pressing down on the mag release shouldn’t do anything on a Glock

I have a lightly used Glock 19x bought new. I cannot drop the mag even a little bit, even on purpose and pressing as hard as I can on the mag release with the meaty base of thumb portion of my left hand (I’m right handed).
Yes... releasing the mag on a Glock pistol usually requires a very deliberate and FIRM press of the button to get the mag to drop.

So, that's why I started rethinking the situation and posted the previous comment about something being wrong, if the mag drops at the LIGHT touch of the "meaty" part of... well.... anything. That's why I suspected that perhaps there's a problem with the retention notch in the magazine or with the mag catch in the pistol.

So, I'll ask again... is the mag catch and mag catch spring OEM / original? Or aftermarket?

And also... what does the notch on the mag look like? Is it intact? Or boogered up?

Yes... releasing the mag on a Glock pistol usually requires a very deliberate and FIRM press of the button to get the mag to drop.

So, that's why I started rethinking the situation and posted the previous comment about something being wrong, if the mag drops at the LIGHT touch of the "meaty" part of... well.... anything. That's why I suspected that perhaps there's a problem with the retention notch in the magazine or with the mag catch in the pistol.

So, I'll ask again... is the mag catch and mag catch spring OEM / original? Or aftermarket?

And also... what does the notch on the mag look like? Is it intact? Or boogered up?
The gun is virtually new. Maybe fired 5 times. Failure to go into battery on the second round, TWICE in sequence after clearing the jam. NO visible damage to mag or gun.

The gun is virtually new. Maybe fired 5 times. Failure to go into battery on the second round, TWICE in sequence after clearing the jam. NO visible damage to mag or gun.
Beats me, man. Maybe have someone take pics from various angles of you holding the gun?

Reactions: Makinchips208
my grip is high. I use a wedge, forefinger around the trigger guard. The base of my thumb "non-trigger" hand, sits right on top of the mag release. A little pressure seems to be causing the mag to start to (not fully) release. I don't think I'm over thinking this.

Post pictures of a G17 in your hands from the left

Failure to go into battery on the second round, TWICE in sequence after clearing the jam. NO visible damage to mag or gun.
Your left hand has to be pressing in the mag release every time you grip the gun.

You either have freakish hands or are using a completely fucked up grip.

my grip is high. I use a wedge, forefinger around the trigger guard.
Please stop using that shit grip

Not only is recoil management compromised, I guarantee that such a grip is changing the angle of your support hand to where the hand is pressing the magazine release.

Do this
1698095731080.png

ETA this is me shooting a pistol (CZ Shadow 2) that has a mag release way more obnoxious than any Glock. I've never had a mag drop when I didn't want it to
1698096096730.png

1698096335241.png

I also have this Ghost extended magazine release on my G17 and I grip that gun like the pic above. Guess what magazines don't move until I want them to.
1698096448337.png

Last edited:
You sure you’re not limp-wristing and positive that the mag is dropping?

Edit: no shame in limp-wristing. I am a basic pistol shooter and I have no probs admitting I’ve done it. Especially occasionally with my brother’s 10mm Glock.

Last edited:
The Ghost forward slide release can be helpful if you shoot a Glock with your thumb up where God intended. ;)
It's not a lot, but it can be enough.

Or get out the Dremel... ;)

GTAB.jpg

Mag release? What the hell you doing down there? :D

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate

I found this example:
View attachment 8255365

It's his grip. My G17 has a huge mag release button from Ghost and a reduced weight mag release spring from RYG.

Magazines still don't drop unless I hit the button with my thumb.

It's his grip. My G17 has a huge mag release button from Ghost and a reduced weight mag release spring from RYG.

Magazines still don't drop unless I hit the button with my thumb.
I dunno.... All my Glock and Glock clone mag releases require a rather deliberate and focused push to release a mag. There's no way I can make a mag drop from any sort of poor grip. I have to push the button IN with the end of my thumb.

I dunno.... All my Glock and Glock clone mag releases require a rather deliberate and focused push to release a mag. There's no way I can make a mag drop from any sort of poor grip. I have to push the button IN with the end of my thumb.
Drop your support hand lower on the grip and clamp down.

I bet you can duplicate the failure.

ETA: it's easier to make this happen with gen 4 and 5 guns because of how their releases extend farther back.

Drop your support hand lower on the grip and clamp down.

I bet you can duplicate the failure.

ETA: it's easier to make this happen with gen 4 and 5 guns because of how their releases extend farther back.
Mine are all Gen 2 or 3. But I will try to duplicate.

In my imagination (at work, away from my Glocks)... it would seem very uncomfortable to grip and squeeze hard enough to do that. But I will try! For SCIENCE! :)

In my imagination (at work, away from my Glocks)... it would seem very uncomfortable to grip and squeeze hard enough to do that. But I will try! For SCIENCE! :)
Might be tough with those. I'm away so my G 17 isn't with me. If one will do it, that one is it.

I do have my 19 gen 3, which has the G 34 oem mag release, with me and I'll see if I can nake it fail.

So I was able to force the mag to drop. It took a really fucked up grip to do it.

1698183195369.png

For grip memory/indexing maybe try a small piece of skateboard tape. Talon Grips also sells small rounded squares to add on. Could use for indexing your support hand. Or, the gun might be defective (if it isn't your grip.) I find Glock mags need pulling out more often than not.

I find Glock mags need pulling out more often than not.
I've literally never had to "pull" a magazine out in my 27 years with Glock pistols (I own three factory Glocks). The mags always drop freely.

The same is true for all my P80 builds.

It occurs to me that it's important to note that my mags are OEM Glock mags. I did try some magpul glock mags when they first came out. I bought five of them. All five of them turned my otherwise utterly reliable Gen 2 Glock 19 into a jam-o-matic. Consistently. So, they sit in the closet unused since then.

Don't skimp on mags for your Glocks or Glock clones. The OEM mags are fairly inexpensive anyway. The aftermarket mags for Glocks... in a word... suck.

That wedge grip is bad technique, simple as that.

That Mas Ayoob guy is shady, always telling guys what they should or shouldn’t do to their guns because of what could happen in court if prosecutors call an “expert witness”… leaving out the part about his part-time gig, him trying to be the expert-witness-for-hire they call lol.

Reactions: Gustav7
I've literally never had to "pull" a magazine out in my 27 years with Glock pistols (I own three factory Glocks). The mags always drop freely.

The same is true for all my P80 builds.

It occurs to me that it's important to note that my mags are OEM Glock mags. I did try some magpul glock mags when they first came out. I bought five of them. All five of them turned my otherwise utterly reliable Gen 2 Glock 19 into a jam-o-matic. Consistently. So, they sit in the closet unused since then.

Don't skimp on mags for your Glocks or Glock clones. The OEM mags are fairly inexpensive anyway. The aftermarket mags for Glocks... in a word... suck.

True, perhaps I should rephrase. Compared to say S&W Shields, where the mag half jumps out after the mag release is pressed Glocks tend to be relatively semi fall out with guided help. For Magpul mags in my experience they could use some help in moving faster.

where the mag half jumps out after the mag release is pressed Glocks tend to be relatively semi fall out with guided help
My Glock mags literally fall out of the gun when the button is pushed. Even when completely empty. No help needed at all. Ever. No lie. Just gravity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makinchips208