• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock 19 or Glock 23?

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
Lookin for a new carry gun, but I'm not sure which one I want. I don't own a .40 yet and already have a G17. So a 9 would mean only have to buy one type of ammo, but I don't know if that's enough reason to buy the 19.

What dose everyone think? Both are good, and this isn't ment to be another what's the best cal for personal protection. I'm just trying to decide if I should get my first .40 or stick with the 9mm's.

TIA

Re: Glock 19 or Glock 23?

If you are willing to consider a different caiber, then using the magazines from your 17 isn't a concern. I have a 23, a M&P compact .40 and an XD compact .40. All are excellent choices.

And yet there are other excellent pistols in.40 to further confound you such as those by Kahr, Sig, CZ, Ruger, and others.

Then there's the whole .45 ACP argument
laugh.gif

Good luck

Go with the G23 and get a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel, threaded naturally. 2 guns for the price of one. You can use your G17 mags for secondaries with the std in the hole.....just paint or number your mags so you can readily see your grabbin 40 or 9mm mags. some sort of color marking...... same as running full G22 mags with the G23.

Issues with this conversion idea - some converted 40-9 barrel setups can be fussy with ammo, but they seem to be few and far between and good pressure loads work best. food for thought with carry needs.

(There are some internal differences, just use ole googly.....)

just an idea

I thought about the idea of a 23 and getting the conversion barrel. But will 19 mags work in the 23 with the different barrel? Also will 17 mags work in the 19? I'm not familiar with all the switching availabe with glocks. If I can put 19 mags in the 23 then CC will be easy and I can swap the barrels. But a benifit of the 19 accepting 17 mags is nice for backup mags.

I have a XD45, but for a carry gun I'd rather more capacity then what most .45's offer.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance, and teaching me some along the way.

I had a G23 but after buying a G19 for my wife, I bought a G19 for myself. Now I only have to load for one caliber, and its cheap as hell to reload for which means I can get in more trigger time with less damage to my wallet. More trigger time = me being more confidence and competent with my carry gun.............. One other thing that I noticed right away when I started carrying the G19 is that b/c it uses a lighter bullet you feel less weight on your hip when carrying it even though it holds 2 extra rounds over the G23.

The 9mm utilizes a different follower. It may work but wouldnt want to depend on it. A thing to remember for Glocks...with the exception of the 36 an the SF's...any larger model mag can be used in a smaller frame gun. However...this can't be reversed due to grip size.
Both are great guns/models. The 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and maybe easier to find ammo dependant on how things are in your area. Can't go wrong with either, both are same size so grip isn't an issue. You just get 2 xtra rounds in the mag (without extention)in the 19.
When all else fails feel free to use my scientific method of gun buying:
Step 1: Remove Coin from pocket
Step 2: Determine Heads/Tails for choice
Step 3: Flip said Coin
Step 4: Look at outcome
Step 5: Tell'm which one you will take according to findings
of step 4.
***NOTE: Feel free to change your mind if you step 4 didnt pan out like you were hoping it would.***

the frames are the same basically - which is why you can run G19/17 mags and G23/G22 vice versa.... as stated above. just swap barrels and mags. just mark the mags so you never mix. that could be a BAD deal.

have fun

G19.

I would not try to convert from one caliber to the other. There is no value in doing so, and the ejectors need to be changed to do it properly.

Then of course there's the .357 Sig barrels that will drop right into the respective .40 cal pistols, using identical magazines!!!

.357 Sig is a pricey round but is the equal of the .357 magnum in revolvers of equivalent barrel lengths.

Though the simple barrel swap is all most suggest is necessary, a stouter recoil spring is probably agood idea if you chse that option.

The .357 Sig option in the G22 or G23 is not an option offerred as easily in the 17/19 platform.

Thanks for all the advise, I think I'm guna go with the 19. Not to mention I have a progressive press for 9mm so I can pop them out quickly. But I like the lighter and +2 rounds option. Also I have big hands so I'd prob get the grip extension.

I was leaning this way, just wanted to be sure

If you do end up running the larger frame mags make sure you really test them a lot with range and carry ammo before you rely on them especially if it's a carry gun.

In my experience about 50% of the time the smaller glocks run 100% with larger mags but I've seen multiple glocks that won't run 100% with higher capacity mags. I had an very early G27 that would not run with 23/22 mags reliably and I've ran into a couple G23 that would not run with G22 mags. Typically the 9mm's seem to be more reliable with the higher cap mags.

good choice 87 - less BS to deal with allowing you to focus time and $$ into one product(s).

Trust me, if it's something I'm going to carry and possibly have my life be dependent in, it will be tested hard. I practice under bad conditions because I don't believe the time you will have to actually use it that it will be sunshine and pretty outside with everything being normal around you. I'm a believer if you can practice in chaos thn you can function and not freeze in the real deal.

They are both well suited to the task, so it doesn't matter which one.

Having seen a rather large number of folks shot with handguns I have to say that it isn't the caliber it is ALL about shot placement...

cant go wrong with the G19,I prefer it over the G17 and G26 it is not to big and not overly small.. i think that it is one of the most comfortable guns to shoot.

.40 ammo cheaper and more available now

9mm is harder to come by, and more expensive right now. Wholesale on .40 is about $5.00- $8.00 less per box.

Re: .40 ammo cheaper and more available now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddarB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant go wrong with the G19,I prefer it over the G17 and G26 it is not to big and not overly small.. i think that it is one of the most comfortable guns to shoot. </div></div>

+1

I was in the same situation with the three models that are listed above and I went with the 19 and haven't looked back. The Glock 19 is a very versatile sized handgun, accurate, durable, and its just small enough to be easily concealed. One more thing just FYI I have nothing against the .40sw or the .45acp they are fine calibers. But don't let anyone talk you out of the 9mm by saying its a weak caliber. IMO the way I see it with the reduction in recoil my accuracy improves. I shoot my 19 better than my brothers Glock 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm is harder to come by, and more expensive right now. Wholesale on .40 is about $5.00- $8.00 less per box.
</div></div>

Not where I'm from: Winchester 115fmj's are $12 a box per 50. That's .24 cents a round just about the same as price as 17HMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm is harder to come by, and more expensive right now. Wholesale on .40 is about $5.00- $8.00 less per box.
</div></div>

I load it for less than $8 than a box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm is harder to come by, and more expensive right now. Wholesale on .40 is about $5.00- $8.00 less per box.
</div></div>

I load it for less than $8 than a box. </div></div>

I need to get into reloading.

I'm about to start reloading 9mm, but I can get 9mm NATO 124 gr for $12 for a box of 50. I really like them, feels like a +p round with a heavier bullet. As far as damage to target, I'm a medic so I have seen plenty of things much more harmless then a 9mm tear people up so I'm fine with the that caliber. I have decided that I'm getting the 19, but now my girlfriend wants the 23. Looks like I'll wind up owning both eventually.

wait and get a gen 4 19 or 23. recoil is greatly reduced with the new spring.

</div></div>

That's strange. Is that something that others have experienced? Here 9mm is definitely still cheaper, and available in bulk more frequently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wait and get a gen 4 19 or 23. recoil is greatly reduced with the new spring. </div></div>

A heavier spring will make you feel more recoil, not less.

Springs are regularly and easily changed out by most competitive shooters anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wait and get a gen 4 19 or 23. recoil is greatly reduced with the new spring. </div></div>

A heavier spring will make you feel more recoil, not less.

Springs are regularly and easily changed out by most competitive shooters anyway. </div></div>

The 4th gen springs are harder to change out due to no aftermarket following YET due to the redesign.

Ultimately it's YOUR decision, but since you asked--------buy a G19. You've already got the ammo and G17mags, you'll likely find 9mm ammo cheaper if not easier also. The G19 (and 17) are mostly responsible for all the praise Glock has gotten. Not so much for the .40s. The shootability, ease of concealment, reliability, and magazine capacity all come together for the G19 and make it one of the best Glock models IMO--------the thing's got damn near a cult following for those reasons. You might also find a clean used G19 for cheaper than a new Gen4, which would be just fine since Glock got the 19 right from the beginning. Again, it's your decision.

You're picking between two excellent choices. Try to shoot a 23 before you buy one. Some people find it snappy.

i didn't say HEAVIER spring. i said different as in duo recoil...like two springs in one like the HK's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didn't say HEAVIER spring. i said different as in duo recoil...like two springs in one like the HK's </div></div>

That's even worse...the front sight will be all over the place with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didn't say HEAVIER spring. i said different as in duo recoil...like two springs in one like the HK's </div></div>

That's even worse...the front sight will be all over the place with that. </div></div>

That comes down to fundamentals not so much the recoil springs. I shoot HKs alot and have no qualms with the two springs in the HK messing with my sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the frames are the same basically - which is why you can run G19/17 mags and G23/G22 vice versa.... as stated above. just swap barrels and mags. just mark the mags so you never mix. that could be a BAD deal.

have fun </div></div>

The frames are very different. The relationship between the feed area and the mag catch is the same, hence the reason the 17 mags run in the 19, but the frame dimensions and gun handling are markedly different between the 17 and the 19.

I've seen guys say shooting the gen 4 g22 is like shooting a gen 3 17 - 9mm. less recoil is a good thing. I've owned several HK's in my day and never had problem with my sights.

this is another reason why many people will say they shoot their g26 g27 better than their g19 g 23. (3rd gen or less)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didn't say HEAVIER spring. i said different as in duo recoil...like two springs in one like the HK's </div></div>

That's even worse...the front sight will be all over the place with that. </div></div>

That comes down to fundamentals not so much the recoil springs. I shoot HKs alot and have no qualms with the two springs in the HK messing with my sights. </div></div>

Not sure what kind of shooting you do, but you won't see something like that in use at a match. It really screws with your sight picture.

Shouldn't be a problem for the Glock, though, as most competitors will just remove that contraption and replace it with a single Wolff or ISMI recoil spring.

A friend and I shot the 17, 19, and 34 one after the other on speed drills at poppers at 30 feet. We did it in a fashion where you did not take your hands down from your sight line - you'd shoot 2 per popper left to right, then back right to left, then the other guy would slide one pistol out of your hands and the other in, then you'd go right back to the drill. Repeat repeat repeat.

The 19 is faster on target for the first and second shot. Faster recovery I think is tied to the least slide mass of the 3 along with the shorter grip frame which forces a higher/tighter grip of the gun (and we both have big hands).

It was an eye opener. We both shot the 19 real well and knew it was a great shooter, but not until we did this drill did we realize how well it works compared to the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is another reason why many people will say they shoot their g26 g27 better than their g19 g 23. (3rd gen or less) </div></div>

I for one, will never say that. The G27 is a LOT snappier than the G23. It's just a smaller gun with less to hold onto. Furthermore, I've had the two spring setup in my G27 bind a little. Not enough to cause a malfunction, but it took extra force to rack the slide until I rotated the spring 180. It may be a necessary evil in the Babies, but I don't want it in the full size models. Replacing gen-1 to gen-3 springs more frequently is an easier and simpler solution.

oh yea I had a G27 and unloaded that thing. They do not handle like the 19/23. Stubby, whippy, hard to hold on to. Not enough difference in weight to make it more packable than the 19. I carry the 19 in all the same things (holsters, fanny pack) I carried the 27 in.

Does anyone know if newer glock recoil springs are braided fibers similar to what was only on subcompact models like G26?

I've seen a few and they are not.