• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

I've been thinking about adding a 10mm to the arsenal. What are your thoughts on the Glock 20? Also, is there any other 10mm semi-autos I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

AvsFan:confused:

Me too and after looking around, if I get one, it'l be the G20, was thinking/looking at the Colt Delta Elite but they're just too much money, kind of also think it's a wasted caliber as the 45 will do pretty much the same thing

I own one and I've done plywood tests between it and the 45. I just screwed I think it was 10 3/8' boards together and shot them with both a .45 and the 10mm. I don't remember the exact results but I do remember that the 10 went significantly further. So I would say it is not a wasted caliber just that it's not really suitable for carry as it has a tendency to over penetrate. (do your research into the FBI testing back in the 80's). When I bought my Glock I was looking specifically for a 10 and the only options I found were Colt, Kimber, and Glock. I love 1911's but I was looking for a semi auto woods gun and I didn't want the added weight.

Glock 20 + underwood ammo= change your mind on what that little caliber can do:)

Glock 20 is an excellent 10 mm host. I will advise a heavier buffer spring (22lbs) if your shooting hot loads, otherwise, all you need is new sights.

I'm not a Glock fanboi, but I like my Glock 20. I've used it for hog hunting with 200 grain loads and it knocks 'em down like dominoes.

Here's a little ballistic gel comparison for those who think 10mm is a wasted caliber. ;)

10mm-1.jpg

The Glock 20 is awesome because you can buy several different calibers to use as well.

Go with a model 21 and get a 10mm conversion barrel and magazine for it. I have a few G20's and you will most likely switch out the spring and barrel anyway if you want it to cycle better with hotter loads and have a little better accuracy. I have had stock G20's that are tumbling rounds at 15-20 yards with full power loads that are vastly improved with an after market barrel. I live close to this place: GlockStore.com - Glock Handguns, Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel so I can find what I need rather quickly.

+1 Glock 20
I have run nearly 800 rounds through mine and never looked back.
I would pick up some 40sw dies along with components to reload. 10mil plinking ammo is a bit pricey. An aftermarket barrel wouldnt hurt either.

Over the last 25+ years, the G20 is definitely the most versatile autoloader that is chambered for the world's most versatile "service cartridge" extant.

The 10mm's huge power curve allows you to choose from among numerous factory loads using JHPs & FMJs of various weights and styles. Factory loads range from "mild-to-wild" - from range-plinking ammo to the near-nuclear, from target or competition-level velocities (which for the 10mm are generally .40-level or a bit hotter), to mid-range loads for CCW or duty use, to the "heavy & hot" screamers for hunting or protecting yourself when you're out in the backwoods or bear country. With the G20, you've got the 2- and 4-legged predators covered with an easy-to-pack, 15+1 magnum autoloader of reasonable size and weight. Yep, you can leave that 6 shot boat-anchor of a wheelgun at home, which is the same reason so many of the flyguys and hunting guides in Alaska have replaced their big-bore revolvers with a G20, which they load up "heavy & hot".

Available bullet-weights for the 10mm, given such a wide variety of possible tasks, range from 135gns all the way up to 235gns. Several of the heavier slugs (those exceeding 200gns) are offered in cast bullets.

Once you have a G20, you can also buy aftermarket barrels for it from any number of vendors in .40S&W, .357Sig & 9x25 Dillion. All you need are the spare tubes. These other cartridges run w/o a hitch with the G20's stock 10mm magazines and recoil assembly because their cases are all derived from the 10mm. Think about it - you can shoot 4 calibers from one gun with its stock mags. If you swap in a G21 upper barrel & slide assembly, you've got 5 calibers, all off the same platform. You can do all of these things too with the G20's little brother, the G29.

As far as extra barrels myself, I've got an LWD 10mm stock-length (4.6") tube, w/ fully supported chamber, for my super-hot handloads as well as for shooting cast bullets, and a very old Federal Arms (also stock-length) .40S&W tube for that ammo. Reliability is 100%.

When shooting the near-nuclear 10mm stuff out of the LWD barrel, I use a 24lb ISMI XP recoil (non-captured) spring on a SS rod.
This set-up is very accurate and, again, runs 100%.

Get the G20, ignore the naysayers, and don't look back.

Hope this helps ... :cool:

Last edited:
I have several G20s in 3rd gen. SF and a 4th gen. Also a LW tactical slide with RMR. While Glocks aren't my favorite pistols. The G20 is an excellent platform for "real" 10mm ammo. I also have a couple M1006s, excellent pistols. Maybe someday I will have a Vltor Bren Ten?

I have eight (8) 10MM pistols, the glock 20 is the one a shoot and carry hiking the most. The SW 610 revolvers are way more accurate but they don't hold 15 rounds.
I just hope and pray Glock brings out a model like the 41 in 10mm.
Go with glock, they don't rust, are light weight and work 100% right out the box! replace the sights and you are done.
Cheers.

you really didn't say what you are going to do with it , range toy ,hunt ,carry?
the other 10mm auto that comes to mind is a eaa witness hunter, is a all steel frame and is capable
of a ridged optic mount and there are smiths that can do excellent trigger work
on them. also if you don't reload for a 10mm your not getting the true benefit of it.
i have a 20 with a 6'' and a stock length they run well, the down side is your still stuck
with a glock trigger even after all the mods the trigger is still mediocre.
if you don't need 15 rounds in the mag then a 1911 style my be a better bet.
if you do reload for it, you defiantly open yourself up to a pretty fun gun,
from 135gr bullets up to 200gr and they all can be driven at some pretty good speed.

I have a g20 and it is good to go. The only complaint, if there is one is that I dont have big mitts, so the gun is clunky in my hands.
I also have run it with my SilencerCo osprey, Nice package

I carry it in a Double Diamond chest holster for hiking and playing

Maybe someday I will have a Vltor Bren Ten?

That's my hope too.

I'd also like to see EAA start importing the 10mm variant of the Turkish-made, all-steel Sarsilmaz K2, a CZ-style double stack DA/SA pistol. The .45 K2 model is already on dealer shelves in my area. The 10mm model supposedly holds 15+1. I've handled, though not shot, the .45 K2. It is definitely a sturdy, well-built pistol, although some would find it heavy. The grip itself, I thought, was better formed and more ergonomic than the 10mm Witness pistols I've shot in the past. Trigger-finger reach in first-shot DA mode was fine and the pull itself was smooth.

:cool:

Last edited:
I believe Dan Wesson also makes bobtail 1911 in 10mm

-10mm, more kinetic energy at 100yds than a 45ACP at the muzzle....

Lone wolf makes a long slide and you can run the 6 inch bar. With the right ammo it puts you near a 41 mag. Great hunting pistol or carry pistol for the woods.

I'm not a Glock fanboi, but I like my Glock 20. I've used it for hog hunting with 200 grain loads and it knocks 'em down like dominoes.

Here's a little ballistic gel comparison for those who think 10mm is a wasted caliber. ;)

10mm-1.jpg

Just for the sake of accurate comparision the 45 ACP can be and is routinely loaded well beyond 875 fps. If the 45 ACP is loaded to it's potential then little difference exist.

Just for the sake of accurate comparision the 45 ACP can be and is routinely loaded well beyond 875 fps. If the 45 ACP is loaded to it's potential then little difference exist.

Just for the sake of clarity, the ballistic gel chart is a joke. Notice the nuclear mushroom at the mid-point of the 10mm's penetration. ;)

Had a G20 for a few years. It was a good gun (it's a Glock), And even though I reloaded, I just tended to shoot my G21 more. 15 +1 of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at, but in real world use, my .45 will hold it's own. The "snap" of the 10mm made getting back on target slower than the "push" of the .45. Neither is hard to shoot, but it just didn't offer anything I really needed. I don't handgun hunt, so no need there either. If you don't reload, ammo is expensive and hard to find locally. Online is about the only place to buy.

Edit: If you plan to use it as a CCW, look for the G29. If I were going to get one again, I'd look for the compact version.

Last edited:
I LOVE my G20C; When I shoot +P+ it is a short barrel rifle![very accurate]

I love my G29SF. I'm going to put a KKM barrel and trijicon sights on it. It has some awesome power to it. I really want to get a G30 next and 460 Rowland that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

i have been thinking of one of these for awhile.

other than having a longer sight radius for hunting, what will i gain with an aftermarket 6" slide/barrel? would it be beneficial for a more complete powder burn?

intended use will be woods carry gun when hiking, hunting, fishing, etc with the boy.

Not unless you are calling it 45 Super. And it still doesn't have the penetration the 10mm has.

Go with a model 21 and get a 10mm conversion barrel and magazine for it. I have a few G20's and you will most likely switch out the spring and barrel anyway if you want it to cycle better with hotter loads and have a little better accuracy. I have had stock G20's that are tumbling rounds at 15-20 yards with full power loads that are vastly improved with an after market barrel. I live close to this place: GlockStore.com - Glock Handguns, Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel so I can find what I need rather quickly.

so all one needs is a barrel to convert a G21 to 10mm ?
would the same slide work -a
are barrel od same -or how is the muzzle end supported ?

I've been wanting a 10mm for some time and the Glock is probably the best candidate for standing up to the punishment of full power loads. The problem that has held me back for so long is that from a practical standpoint the 10mm really doesn't perform that much better than the more readily available .45acp. The biggest reason is because of the popularity of .40S&W.

Spend some time looking at ballistic tests and you'll see that for handguns, the best penetration is achieved from high mass bullets. The 40S&W has become so popular that most 10mm/.40cal bullets are designed for it, thus they aren't really designed to hold up in the envelope of the 10mm. They top out around 180 to 200gr and terminally they don't really benefit from the added energy imparted on them by the 10mm case. There are some great cast loads out there but (for obvious reasons) they don't exactly expand.

I still like the 10mm but if you decide to go that path it's going to be a labor of love rather than a practical decision, and you better be rich or a reloader if you plan on having a shooter rather than a curiosity.

I too have been wanting a 10mm for a few years now. I am in the process of getting my CCW here in Orange County and the 3rd pistol I will be adding to my permit will one day be a 10mm. More than likely a 29 over the 20 due to concealable issues. That probably wont happen for another year though but I would also like to get a 20 and possibly retro fit it with a 6" long slide and make it a nice pig or deer gun with some hot loads.

I have a G20SF and it is my favorite Glock. I put a KKM barrel in it and a zev tech fulcrum trigger. For what it is worth this is the best fulcrum trigger I have out of my glocks. I got it adjusted perfect, but I've never been able to get my other 2 adjusted as well, which is annoying.

Anyway, I admit to drooling over the wilson combat and STI 10mm's, but I bought mine as a woods gun when backpacking and bowhunting the high country. For this purpose I think the G20 is what you want. Or the G29 if you want a lighter set up which at times I have wanted. Good luck in your search!

Go for it. The Glock 20 is a versatile and powerful gun/cartridge combo. If reloading the following powders are your friends: 800X, AA#9, and Hogdon Longshot in that order.

Chamber support for current crop of Glocks is much improved and I haven't had any bulges or issues with factory 10mm ammo. For my nuclear loads I swap in the KKM barrel. I shoot a 200gr WFN bullet over a spooky amount of 800X. My standard load is using AA#9 and is a bit over the max loads in most manuals.

The 10mm is a great cartridge and the Glock 20 is a great platform.

I just bought one and I love it. I am trying to get the reloading right. I think the key is the after market barrel to better support the casing.

You won't be sorry.

10mm-1.jpg

that 10mm loading in the ballistic gel chart is a plinking load. it's easy and safe to get a 215gr hard cast lead bullet going 1450+ fps from a 5" Storm Lake Glock 20 barrel. 200gr XTP's will go over 1500fps with no problem. just make sure to use a 24# recoil spring.

i have been thinking of one of these for awhile.

other than having a longer sight radius for hunting, what will i gain with an aftermarket 6" slide/barrel? would it be beneficial for a more complete powder burn?

intended use will be woods carry gun when hiking, hunting, fishing, etc with the boy.

6" barrel will help with more velocity

Go for it. The Glock 20 is a versatile and powerful gun/cartridge combo. If reloading the following powders are your friends: 800X, AA#9, and Hogdon Longshot in that order.

Chamber support for current crop of Glocks is much improved and I haven't had any bulges or issues with factory 10mm ammo. For my nuclear loads I swap in the KKM barrel. I shoot a 200gr WFN bullet over a spooky amount of 800X. My standard load is using AA#9 and is a bit over the max loads in most manuals.

The 10mm is a great cartridge and the Glock 20 is a great platform.

spooky amount being at least 10gr of 800x with that 200gr bullet? that get's me a bit over 1500fps from a 5" Storm lake barrel

While living in Salt Lake City I carried the G20 during the winter when everybody was bundled up in heavy coats -- figured the 10s extra penetration would be perfect solution to the wrapped up bad guy.

If you can comfortably shoot it (by that I mean you don't have small hands) the G20 is a great gun with lots of choices for ammo. Full power loads are still something you have to specifically look for and I would be weary of high volume use in anything of this caliber because you can crack frames.

While living in Salt Lake City I carried the G20 during the winter when everybody was bundled up in heavy coats -- figured the 10s extra penetration would be perfect solution to the wrapped up bad guy.

If you can comfortably shoot it (by that I mean you don't have small hands) the G20 is a great gun with lots of choices for ammo. Full power loads are still something you have to specifically look for and I would be weary of high volume use in anything of this caliber because you can crack frames.

The Gen4 G 20 fixes the issue with small hands.

I just picked up a Gen4 20. The Gen4s just fit my hand better.

Now I have a 20sf I need to get rid of.

I would keep it as the gen 4 has issues with hot loads like those 200gr by Underwood. The new captured recoil spring & possibly magsprings need to be improved... see 10mm-firearms dot com & glocktalk for more info about the gen 3 G20 being more reliable. They arn't making any more gen 3 g20 now too 8>)
My gen 4 10mm g29 subcompact is my concealed carry & my gen 4 fde g20 sits waiting for future developments. The 10 mm glocks are more massive than all the other models - made for hot hard hitting rounds...

I would keep it as the gen 4 has issues with hot loads like those 200gr by Underwood. The new captured recoil spring & possibly magsprings need to be improved... see 10mm-firearms dot com & glocktalk for more info about the gen 3 G20 being more reliable. They arn't making any more gen 3 g20 now too 8>)
My gen 4 10mm g29 subcompact is my concealed carry & my gen 4 fde g20 sits waiting for future developments. The 10 mm glocks are more massive than all the other models - made for hot hard hitting rounds...

Have you had issues with your Gen4 G20? I have some 200g Underwood I'll try out.

How common is this problem? Is it like anything else on the internet where people are more likely to post their problems than have no problems? Makes things look bad sometimes but I'll have to look into it and do some testing.

Thanks

Alaska state police carry G20's.... They deal with 2 and 4 leg predators on a regular basis....

this thread is almost worthless without pictures. here's my Glock 20 with a prototype comp I whittled out of 4140 on a 5.5" Storm Lake barrel. the comp has a 45* baffle plate in front like the old Clark Pinmaster comps. it works really well. it's my daily carry and also my "get the fuck off me hog" gun. added some Arredondo +5 basepads too. it was becoming a pain in the ass to find reasonably priced heavy cast bullets, so I ordered a Lee .401" sizing die and squeezed some 215gr .41 mag .410" cast bullets down that I got really cheap. they worked out really great with 10grs of 800x for 1450fps.

Attachments

• Glocked20withcomp.jpg
    Glocked20withcomp.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 26
Like already stated a G20sf frame and a LW longslide make a great combination.

Also have a MechTech CCU to go with it.

My Gen 4 has a KKM barrel and I push hot 180's and 200 grain loads by the hundreds threw it. No problems.

Have you had issues with your Gen4 G20? I have some 200g Underwood I'll try out.

How common is this problem? Is it like anything else on the internet where people are more likely to post their problems than have no problems? Makes things look bad sometimes but I'll have to look into it and do some testing.

Thanks