• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Glock Accuracy

"The barn door comment is a GROSS exaggeration - I know you did not mean it literally, but in the context of a thread regarding the accuracy of a Glock, *some* semblance of reality needs to be maintained."

well glad we have that made clear now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The barn door comment is a GROSS exaggeration - I know you did not mean it literally, but in the context of a thread regarding the accuracy of a Glock, *some* semblance of reality needs to be maintained."

well glad we have that made clear now!
</div></div>

I would be surprised if the mechanical accuracy of a Glock 19 was worse than 4" at 25yards. It's probably closer to 2" at 25yards.

The DAO trigger and iron sights/and my vision (clear front sight and blurry target) makes realistic hand held non bench rested accuracy more like 5-6" at 25yards in my experience.

I shot a 21 once, but don't have a lot of experience with the 21.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300WSM, thanks for your post, but the reality of it all is that I just can't shoot. Everyone knows there are no tricks for any gun out there that I may overlook. Furthermore everyone knows that every part mass manufacured in a production facility is 100% perfect 100% of the time, and there is no possiblity that there is ANYthing wrong with my Glock. I now have to scrap 16 years of shooting, training, qualifications, tell my boss I am not eligible to work in LE Training Division and go sign up for a class somewhere.
Maybe someday. </div></div>

years shooting means nothing to anyone who knows anything... and the LE part isnt exactly helping your credability as a good shooter. maybe your glocks the very very rare defect of modern pistols today. and im not saying rare for a glock...rare for a newly manufactured pistol period. but maybe...juuuust maybe... your still use to the 1911's youve shot for so long. my moneys still on that one personally with all the limited data im recieving on the situation.

this is kind of like how other guys on here probably felt when i posted a thread about how my cold bore shots were .3 mills high and they were thinking.. "dude maybe theres something wrong with your rifle but im pretty sure you just suck and are pulling the shots"...and sure enough..it was me...thats how i feell...maybe theres something wrong with the pistol...but im leaning towards shooter error.

The Glock 21 is an accurate platform, as are all glocks...as are most all modern firearms. The 21, I feel is one of the more accurate models, but that is simply based on MY experience with MY 21. I shoot the majority of my rounds through my 19, which is also my 95% daily carry. But its also the model that shoots the least accurate of the bunch. I shoot my 17, 21, 23, and even the 26 much more accurately. I have all of them set up identical, with the same ameriglo sights, same 3.5 trigger, same NY spring, same magazine release extention, and same large slide release. But the accuracy on the 19 is the worst. Now thats not to say that its not an accurate pistol. I can still drill 1/2" squares with it out to about 10 yds, but I can get out to about 15 yds with all the other pistols. I believe the added accuracy of the other pistols comes from when the barrel was cut. The drill used to bore out the barrel is used for a certain amount of barrels before it is switched. So if you have a "new" bit used to cut the barrel, everything is great. If your barrel was the last one to come off that bit before they changed it, well you got a little more slop in that barrel. Each gun, while it is still accurate, will have minor deviations in the accuracy. If you take 5 glock 19's straight from the factory and put them in a ransom rest, they will probably all shoot just a little different. It also might be the fact that I've got over 20K rounds through that 19, and the rest might have a combined 5K. Thats my .02

I shot falling plates for a long time. No glock ever won or even cleaned the plates.
They are 8" and the furthest you shoot is 25 yards. It's a tough gun to hold with the
trigger it has. But they do what they are designed for very well. That's why I carry
one. Took out 2 muskrats today while fishing with the 27, 10 to 15 yards, because
it was with me. Many porcupines, skunks and coons fall to it because it's easy to carry, usually in the top pocket of my coveralls. The 1911's just wont go there. But
my bulleyes gun holds an inch at 50 yards and the glock won't go there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shot falling plates for a long time. No glock ever won or even cleaned the plates.
They are 8" and the furthest you shoot is 25 yards. It's a tough gun to hold with the
trigger it has. But they do what they are designed for very well. That's why I carry
one. Took out 2 muskrats today while fishing with the 27, 10 to 15 yards, because
it was with me. Many porcupines, skunks and coons fall to it because it's easy to carry, usually in the top pocket of my coveralls. The 1911's just wont go there. But
my bulleyes gun holds an inch at 50 yards and the glock won't go there. </div></div>

I got issued a brand new 19 recently. The first two shots I had to take were from 25yards in 6 seconds from the holster. I drew and I did all the fundamental crap right, and put two bullets in the same hole.

The next 4 I had to shoot from 15. The instructor put me in the spotlight on acount of keyholing the first two at 25, and I was a little less focused, drew the pistol with sweaty hands and shot one round center- my support hand thumb slipped off the dust cover (and I knew it, but didn't correct it) and the fourth round was 3-5" left at 15- my platform for the gun wasn't solid and that lack of the support thumb stabilizer allowed the gun to push left.

It's a good accurate gun, but it needs your focus to shoot well. The 1911 is just going to do better in competition because you don't have to have a perfect trigger squeeze for it to shoot well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shooting the Glock a lot just seems to suggest that it's a great shooter when everything is happening as it should, but it can all come apart over one missing link in the equation. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But my bulleyes gun holds an inch at 50 yards and the glock won't go there. </div></div>

some are happy to achieve that with a rifle+scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Glock 21 is an accurate platform, as are all glocks...as are most all modern firearms. The 21, I feel is one of the more accurate models, but that is simply based on MY experience with MY 21. I shoot the majority of my rounds through my 19, which is also my 95% daily carry. But its also the model that shoots the least accurate of the bunch. I shoot my 17, 21, 23, and even the 26 much more accurately. I have all of them set up identical, with the same ameriglo sights, same 3.5 trigger, same NY spring, same magazine release extention, and same large slide release. But the accuracy on the 19 is the worst. Now thats not to say that its not an accurate pistol. I can still drill 1/2" squares with it out to about 10 yds, but I can get out to about 15 yds with all the other pistols. I believe the added accuracy of the other pistols comes from when the barrel was cut. The drill used to bore out the barrel is used for a certain amount of barrels before it is switched. So if you have a "new" bit used to cut the barrel, everything is great. If your barrel was the last one to come off that bit before they changed it, well you got a little more slop in that barrel. Each gun, while it is still accurate, will have minor deviations in the accuracy. If you take 5 glock 19's straight from the factory and put them in a ransom rest, they will probably all shoot just a little different. It also might be the fact that I've got over 20K rounds through that 19, and the rest might have a combined 5K. Thats my .02 </div></div>

The drill has little to do with the turnout of a Glock barrel. It is easy to drill a STRAIGHT 3-5" deep hole .350-.450" in diameter. Plus, the hole is then reamed oversize, and then the tube created gets beaten down onto a mandrel. The internal dimensions and profile of the barrel have no choice but to be the reciprocal of the mandrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shot falling plates for a long time. No glock ever won or even cleaned the plates.
my bulleyes gun holds an inch at 50 yards and the glock won't go there. </div></div>

Ridiculous. I shoot plates all the time, and have no trouble clearing them all - fast. We shoot 8" plates at 55ft. Personal best is six plates, six shots, 4.9 seconds, starting from a low ready, finger off target. Not amazing by any means, but not bad.

I can't believe we're still arguing whether Glocks are "accurate" or not.

My Glock's are pretty accurate...my xd 40 for whatever reason whether it be the ammo, me, or really the gun itself is slightly more accurate than my glocks... but all of them shoot well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Ridiculous. I shoot plates all the time, and have no trouble clearing them all - fast. We shoot 8" plates at 55ft. Personal best is six plates, six shots, 4.9 seconds, starting from a low ready, finger off target. Not amazing by any means, but not bad.

I can't believe we're still arguing whether Glocks are "accurate" or not. </div></div>

19 yards is not 25 yards. And only the upper half and seven inches of the plate is a sure knockdown with anything less than a 200 grain full load. But
you are fast. We have 8 seconds at 20 yards and 12 seconds at 25 for six plates. Used to see guys with light .38 loads hit them all in a couple of seconds
but they couldn't bring all 48 down in a match round due to marginal hits. You'll never win without cleaning them. Too many guys can and do every round.
Speed was always the toughest part for me. Lost a match or two due to not making the buzzer at 25.

My glock 34 wouldn't shoot for anything. I know this because one of the finest glock shooters I have ever met shot mine using the following test:

1. Shoot his stock glock 17 and made a one-hole group at 25m. .75 inches. 8 rounds.
2. Drop mag from 17, insert in 34.
3. Shoot the rest of the mag in the 34, making a 4" group.

Lesson of the day? Not ALL pistols shoot better than the shooter, and not all Glocks are perfect. I have learned that Glocks vary in accuracy, and once you can shoot a 1.5" group at 25m with a match grade .22LR pistol, you can start judging the glock in your hands individually.

I shoot glocks a lot. Every single week, and have owned m&ps, XDs, SR9cs, etc. It seems as tho all of those guns would definitely out shoot my abilities. A lot of people dont shoot that well with the glocks grip design. I happen to like the Gen4 26 better than the gen 3s I've had. As mentioned earlier, the m&p is a great alternative and I miss mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My glock 34 wouldn't shoot for anything. I know this because one of the finest glock shooters I have ever met shot mine using the following test:

1. Shoot his stock glock 17 and made a one-hole group at 25m. .75 inches. 8 rounds.

Lesson of the day? Not ALL pistols shoot better than the shooter, and not all Glocks are perfect. I have learned that Glocks vary in accuracy, and once you can shoot a 1.5" group at 25m with a match grade .22LR pistol, you can start judging the glock in your hands individually. </div></div>

Did both the 17 and the 34 he shot have the exact same trigger components installed? From the factory, they ship with totally different triggers...and that can quite easily result in differences downrange separate from the inherent accuracy of the weapon.

Went to the range with my father in law , he just bought a new gen 4 and straight out of the box the sights were visibly misaligned and was very disappointed that the factory would release such crap

I have a buddy who is a GM IPSC shooter and runs production Glocks. He has owned dozens of them in all models over his shooting career and he says that some Glocks he has owned are inherently more accurrate than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VoodooKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range with my father in law , he just bought a new gen 4 and straight out of the box the sights were visibly misaligned and was very disappointed that the factory would release such crap </div></div>

I don't understand your complaint. How about shooting the pistol and then seeing if the sights need adjustment. If you think all sights on production pistols are dead on with all ammo out of the box, you will be disappointed by every single pistol you buy.

If they were something so wrong with the sights that it needs to be rectified by Glock. They will take care of you.

IMO Glock std. plastic sights suck anyway. You should replace them.

well said! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you cant put 10 rounds in one ragged hole at 10 yards then either you or your pistol is fucked up. </div></div>

Can you? Oh wait, of course you can, cuz this is the internet...</div></div>

Not all guns (handguns or rifles) shoot good groups. Try another one or a different brand (if you can).

I was extremely disappointed with my groups out of my Browning BDM. I was blaming myself for lack of practice or some imagined slip in technique. Then I laid the BDM down, picked up my Colt Series 80 and shot a group less than half the size of the BDM.

My Glock is okay but it'll never be the gun I pick up to hit something small with. If I ever have to "aim small, miss small" I hope my 1911 is in my hand (or one of my S&W revolvers).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My glock 34 wouldn't shoot for anything. I know this because one of the finest glock shooters I have ever met shot mine using the following test:

Lesson of the day? Not ALL pistols shoot better than the shooter, and not all Glocks are perfect. I have learned that Glocks vary in accuracy, and once you can shoot a 1.5" group at 25m with a match grade .22LR pistol, you can start judging the glock in your hands individually. </div></div>

I think at the factory some of the barrels fit tighter than others.

Overall they are pretty well fitted, but an extra .002" here and there makes for a much better shooting gun. The Glock reputation for mechanical accuracy has a lot to do with good mechanical fit of parts.