• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock G20 Gen. 4: Will it hurt the brass?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
didn´t know where to take this topic, I hope it is ok here.

I´m a reloader and so, bulged brass is an issue for me.
Can somebody tell me, if the Glock G20 will press a "smile" into the brass?

If so, I might have to look for another 10mm.
:unsure:

So the gen 4 is a fully supported chamber?
I had an earlier version (Gen2?) It was not fully supported. Never had any issues but it was not a high round count.

Reactions: Jayjay1
This is a factory gen 4, most aftermarket is fully supported.

Attachments

• 20210501_233720.jpg
    20210501_233720.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 71
So it is more supported than the previous versions?
How does it behave with fully-loaded rounds, no signs or anything there?
:unsure:

I'm not sure about gen 4 vs earlier. Also, not sure about the factory barrel with hot loads.

Mine has a KKM threaded barrel and I just haven't shot the factory barrel with hot loads.

The KKM is fine with them. Here is the factory and KKM side by side. The KKM supports the cartridge wall a little further back and has a tighter chamber.

From pictures I've found on Google it does look like Glock has moved to more support over the years.

Attachments

• 20210502_072345.jpg
    20210502_072345.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 20210426_201226.jpg
    20210426_201226.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210502_072327.jpg
    20210502_072327.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the pictures and the infos.

I´m still hoping someone using an OEM barrel of a Gen4 jumps in.

Thanks for the pictures and the infos.

I´m still hoping someone using an OEM barrel of a Gen4 jumps in.

The very first response in this thread was from someone with a Gen 4 G20 with OEM and KKM barrel. The KKM barrel is a waste of money unless you specifically want a land and groove barrel. It doesn't offer any better accuracy and the added chamber support doesn't allow you to load any higher pressure since the factory barrel can already handle loads well beyond what is considered safe.

Attachments

• 20210502_092014.jpg
    20210502_092014.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210502_092235.jpg
    20210502_092235.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my KKM chamber is tighter than the G20 OEM chamber. The case support is close to the same when compared to the GEN 4 barrels. Also the KKM barrel with it's traditional land and groove rifling allows the shooting of cast lead bullets. Not sure if it's still the case but at one point Glock was discouraging shooting non jacketed bullets through their hexagonal barrels.

Interesting that all of you have an aftermarket barrel.
Is it because of that warning, not to shoot cast bullets, or is it something else?

If it is not positive, that it doesn´t bulge the cases of hot loads I will have to look for something else.
A revolver in 44 Mag would be my second best bet, but I don´t like the extra weight and the much less rounds.
:(

Interesting that all of you have an aftermarket barrel.
Is it because of that warning, not to shoot cast bullets, or is it something else?

If it is not positive, that it doesn´t bulge the cases of hot loads I will have to look for something else.
A revolver in 44 Mag would be my second best bet, but I don´t like the extra weight and the much less rounds.
:(

I thought I would get better accuracy and more chamber support. The aftermarket barrel got me neither. My pet load is 10gr of Longshot under 180gr Spear Gold Dots. They go 1300fps and the brass is indistinguishable out of either barrel. That load is spicy to say the least.

And your brass has no damage at all.
Well, that is good to hear, though you find very different meanings about that in the www.

Maybe I´m a bit confused about that.
As a reloader only, it would hurt my butt if I buy a G20 and then must realize I can´t reload for it.

Maybe I´m a bit confused about that.
As a reloader only, it would hurt my butt if I buy a G20 and then must realize I can´t reload for it.

On my older G20, I had multiple loadings on factory once fired brass, I cant say how many, 3-5 maybe. That gun has been gone for years, but it was fun while I had it, traded it for a .22-250.
The "smiley" on the cases shortens the brass life bit it's not a "one and done". Monitor your cases and dont push it on the number of firings.

Gen 4 barrels work fine. Shoot warm loads.
Size, reload, shoot again.

Sample size of 3 gen 4 10mm and no issues. Including Buffalo Bore and Underwood loads.

I think the big bulge issues ended with the introduction of the gen 3.

I run a stock barrel G20 gen 4. With blue dot and 180s or 200s it will leave a smile on cheap brass when pushed. I have gone to Starline brass and have had no issues with smiles loading them as hard as I am comfortable which is book max.
Thanks
Kyle

I have gone to Starline brass and have had no issues with smiles loading them as hard as I am comfortable which is book max.
Thanks
Kyle

That are good infos!
Makes me feel more comfortable if there is a solution.

Thank you!

I owned a Gen 4 G 20 and experienced no problems with any of my reloads when using quality brass. My hunting / personal defense load was 12.9 grs of Accurate #9 and a 200 gr. XTP. I only sold it because I have both a Gen 4 G29 and G40. The only bulging I ever had was with Magtech Brass which has the CBC headstamp. I did purchase the Redding G-RX die but use it mostly for .357 Sig brass as it lets me resize the base using the G-RX die while allowing me to the resize the neck ( for better neck tension) with the Dillon Carbide sizing die. Here is a link to the Redding die https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012420742?pid=231187