• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock grip stippling

EricM40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Georgia
Has anyone stippled their glock frame? I like the look of the Robar process, but I am not sure. Anyone have feedback or pics?

Thanks.

Eric

Re: Glock grip stippling

I've done it on an STI before. Soldering iron and a little time is all it takes. You may have to sand it a bit as it may be pretty sharp. The stippling on the new Glocks is pretty sweet.

I've used the soldering iron on some rail covers, and on a magpul angled forgrip. Both turned out great, and so imporoved the grip surfaces. I not have the balls to do it on my glock as of yet. One of the trainers in a recent magpul class had done it on his glock with great results. As 16 Bore stated, It takes time! Do some trial runs on something before you start on your handgun. I'm away from my gear, or I would post some photos. The skill set isn't that hard, just takes time.

yeah just use a soldering iron. I use a flat tip, not a point like I have seen some do. I just don't like the look of all the little tiny holes the points make. and if you don't like the way its coming out you can kinda just re stipple over it till you get the look or feel you want. I have stippled my M&P9 my usp45 tactical, and my sig pro sp2022. its great really helps to hang on to the gun and control the recoil

Nathan

I have done some Sig grips and the results were better than I expected. It's really hard to goob up stippling since it doesn't look very good when it is professionally done.

I usually take an extra tip put it in a drill chuck, then grind it flat and make a "ball" on the end. Kinda polish it out, then you're ready to go. you want to start with small "dimples" first until you get a feel for how the plastic reacts, then you can go deeper if you like. The edges of the dimple it what gives you the grip. I think it looks better to be random then try some pattern. Kinda along the idea of honeycomb. Try it on some random junk around the house first.

Oh yeah, and open a window or set up a fan. that crap stinks and I have no idea whats in it...

Dremel with a small round carbide bit.
smile.gif

DSCI0051-1.jpg

Try using a skim coat of marine-tex on the area you want textured. You can use your finger (wear a disposable rubber glove) to give it some texture by touching it while the material is wet. It looks like Robars type of stippling:
http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm

There is a good thread on here (which I can't find) about texturing a stock. As well as this link:
http://www.rdprecision.net/diy.html

Basically the same techniques can be used on a Glock.

I've done a few. As stated, it's a pretty forgiving process but does require some time and attention. You can burn through a frame pretty easily if you're not paying attention so dedicate a few hours to get it done. Just map out what you want to do before you start and have at it.

Glock_1.JPG

IMG_7991.JPG

M&P_2.JPG

IMG_1652_2.JPG

Here recent I put in an order to Eric Wesslemen for a set of stick on grip covers but this is looking more and more like the direction that I should go in. Wont have to worry about the grips coming off at a bad time. Much obliged to everyone for all the info on how to do this.

I've used both the sand paper and rubber decal grips, and both worked great on my glocks, however they were pretty uncomfortable against the skin when I carried concealed, and the sandpaper will wear out a shirt Right now I just have some black cloth hockey tape wrapped around the grip and that works pretty good. How rough is the stippling against a bare waist? obviously it has to be somewhat rough to get the desired grip.

I've carried my stippling against bare skin and it isn't too bad. There is more friction there than with the stock grip texture but it doesn't tear me up like abrasive tape would.

I havent looked at wood iron tips but reckon it would be possible to regrind the tip if you want a different effect in the stipling? Or would it even matter?

Sure. I make a slight change to the cone shaped tips that come with the irons to get the effect I'm after. They're made of pretty soft brass and shouldn't be difficult to work with.

Good deal, Ill have to look into this, I like the idea of being able to fix something the way I want it as oppose to deal with what I can buy. Much obliged.

I take the tip and place it in a drill chuck, then spin it and grind until I get a radius. Shallow and round will get you a grip. That pointy deep stuff is trouble i.e. like perforating a piece of paper ......

the least little bit of melted plastic will give you a substantial grip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That pointy deep stuff is trouble i.e. like perforating a piece of paper ......
</div></div>

Is that right? I've been doing it for six years on a couple hundred pistols now and haven't had problem one. I'd be interested to see an example of a problem with my style of stippling and the experience level of the person who did the work.

Phylodog, your grip jobs look very clean. My Robar'd G21, however functional, looks like a melted chocolate bar. Have you ever done any that look like Simonich Knives gunner grips?

i've heard if you use the end of a hot glue gun it will give you that "almost" gunner grip look

also a good way to practice before you do your gun is a P mag, same material and its only 10 bucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That pointy deep stuff is trouble i.e. like perforating a piece of paper ......
</div></div>

Is that right? I've been doing it for six years on a couple hundred pistols now and haven't had problem one. I'd be interested to see an example of a problem with my style of stippling and the experience level of the person who did the work. </div></div>

Stip4stup.jpg

Pretty self explanatory. Am shocked you get $100 for that and use a wood burner. It ain't rocket science, then again, I'm using a $1,000 Metcal.....

No Sir. The stippling you see in the pics is the style I came up with and I haven't tried anything else. I've seen and felt other styles and while they're definitely effective I believe mine performs very well and gets the job done without being too abrasive.

I would think it would take a mill to duplicate the gunner grip pattern. I just use my titty squeezers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pretty self explanatory. Am shocked you get $100 for that and use a wood burner. It ain't rocket science, then again, I'm using a $1,000 Metcal.....
</div></div>

Oh, so it's just an unproven theory of yours then. Got it.

Congrats on using your $1000 Metcal. The first soldering iron I used cost me $4 and made me a several thousand. I've never indicated it was rocket science and in actuality have instructed tons of people on how to do their own. Some give it a shot, some would rather have me do it.

If you care to back up your statement I'm all ears. Your nice drawing is cool and everything but it doesn't get the job done.

If I were trying to sell my wares, I'd certainly save the tude.......

I believe you suggested that frames were pretty easy to burn through, I'm showing the average Joe how to avoid it. Thank you for your contribution.

Congratulations?

Practice on your Glock factory magazine loader first. You won't cry if you mess it up.

Otherwise, it's not that hard, you'll probably get it to work as well as the slick pictures above, it just won't look as good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were trying to sell my wares, I'd certainly save the tude.......

I believe you suggested that frames were pretty easy to burn through, I'm showing the average Joe how to avoid it. Thank you for your contribution.

Congratulations?
</div></div>

I'm sorry if my "tude" offended your sensitivities but you should expect as much when you begin talking out of your ass. I'm not the least bit concerned about selling my wares, but I don't appreciate someone hinting that I might be creating a dangerous condition with other's firearms. Again, if you would like to support your bullshit claim with something other than a little drawing you came up with I'm all ears. How many firearms have you worked on with your $1000 machine?

I done enough to know that your method sucks. Truth has a little sting, don't it....

You'll be doing it my way before long, something about curiosity and pussys.......

bro i've seen THOUSANDS of guns done like Phylodog is doin them my guns at home are like that. there is nothing wrong with it, do you know how many hundreds of people stiple their glocks with a 10 dollar iron? seriously bro get off your high horse he's not doin anything to that gun that will hurt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were trying to sell my wares, I'd certainly save the tude.......

Congratulations?
</div></div>

Attitude? Contribution?- you don't even fill out your profile.

Phylos work looks terrific, and professional! I don't care how he does it or what he does it with. I'd pay him for it!!

Agree that Phylodog's work looks clean and consistent regardless of his method or tool used. Would pay him to do mine. No question. I'm too scared to do it myself!

i'll say again a great way to practice for those who like the look is on a PMag

Thanks BigJoe, I'll give it a try.

You girls can continue to suck up, maybe he'll give you a discount. Once you start recontouring, shaping, and thinning, you'll see the light. Literally. Pointy and deep will grant you some gription, it also increases the thickness/width of said grip, due to the cratering of the tupperware. When you start removing material, it's a whole new ball game. The deep little stipples become the................(yawn)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You girls can continue to suck up, maybe he'll give you a discount. Once you start recontouring, shaping, and thinning, you'll see the light. Literally. Pointy and deep will grant you some gription, it also increases the thickness/width of said grip, due to the cratering of the tupperware. When you start removing material, it's a whole new ball game. The deep little stipples become the................

</div></div>

When-exactly does this ....... occur? I performed this on my Glock 27.BACK IN 1997. I've carried it daily since and have put over 11,000 rounds(readily available ammo-a firearms instructor's biggest perk) through it.Strange, it still shoots like it did when it was new. I used a $14 weller soldering iron. This........ that occurs? Must be horrible
sleep.gif
Maybe I shouldn't carry it EVERYWHERE I GO. What do I know-I just rely on it to protect MY LIFE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I done enough to know that your method sucks. Truth has a little sting, don't it....

You'll be doing it my way before long, something about curiosity and pussys....... </div></div>

New guy coming in with guns blazing. Phylo, you forgot this guy probably has all sorts of talent in stippling his airsoft collection. In that case an iron WOULD go right thru that cheap plastic. If I'm not mistaken hasnt the polycarbonate plastic that a glock is made of take multiple run ins with a tank and come out firing? A little soldering iron is not going to hurt it.

As far as I am concerned that was a personal attack and grounds for dismissal from this site. Also, the width of the stippling that phylo performs is not great enough to cause the point of the iron to descend to a depth which would compromise the frame. I am guessing the depth is a little LESS than 1/4 the thickness of the grip wall. Computers should be a privilege.

Josh

All I got to say is that phylo's work is top notch and I dont care how he does it I now the amount of care he takes in doing each one. He knows this is someones personal investment and is not going to do anything that might screw it up. He has done my personal carry M&P that is also my duty gun and it turned out better than any Big Name job i've seen.

It looks sharp. I have a 1911 that was done and love it, thought about getting my 19 done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks sharp. I have a 1911 that was done and love it, thought about getting my 19 done. </div></div>

Poke,

Was that a 2011 grip? If it was metal, what did they use?

Question to the experienced stipplers. I only have access to a variable temp iron. What temp should I shoot for, low or higher? JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks sharp. I have a 1911 that was done and love it, thought about getting my 19 done. </div></div>

Poke,

Was that a 2011 grip? If it was metal, what did they use? </div></div>

It was a steel framed 1911, I am not sure what he used but it turned out pretty nice looking and very very functional.

In the white

15673DSC01251.JPG

Norrels Moly Resin finish
15673DSC01258.JPG

Gunsmiths and home do-it-yourselfers have been stippling metal guns before the polymers came on the market. People have used all manner of implements to do it. Brownells sells "stippling punches" that can be purchased but a lot of guys just make their own and harden the tip. You can make assorted shapes on the punch to change the type of texture you make. Basically just put a magwell filler in the stripped frame, mask the sides and surrounding areas to help prevent marring from errant strikes, clamp it in a vise, place your punch, tap it with a hammer, move the tip and repeat for a couple of hours. If you are concerned with missed strikes you can flank the sides of the frontstrap with metal plates. If you are careful it's not a concern but everyone has a different comfort level. Varying tip size & shape and strength of the hammer strike will change the size, style, appearance and aggressiveness of the stippling. Clark Custom (IIRC) used to offer a type of "tiger something" stippling where the punch is angled towards the trigger guard and the metal is displaced upwards creating a raised texture and down with move of a spaced pattern to created raisedmetal that really bites into the hand.

It's a good idea to practice this on some scrap round stock to check your texture, look, etc. before you go to town on your gun. A lot of Browing Hi Powers were stippled versus checkered because many Hi Power front straps were not thick enough to cut checkering without making the front strap too thin at the depths of the checkering. You can also do a grip texturing on metal frames called "matting" that is far less aggressive than stippling & checkering. It is done by placing a "bastard mill" file on the metal to be textured and giving it a good whack with a hammer or mallet. Overlapping, cross-hatching, etc. will change the pattern/feel of the texturing.

I'm a big fan of David Bowie at www.bowietacticalconcepts.com for polymer gun work and stippling. He's done 4 guns for me now and they all leave nothing to be desired. My wife has 2 full house M&P's and I have a G26 and G19 and they both speak for themselves. His LX trigger on the M&P turns one of the worst feeling triggers in my opinion to the best on any polymer gun, and close to a good 1911. I wont even get going on grip reductions....
Anyway, back to stippling, his have much more bite on the the front and backstraps and then soften around the sides. Simply put, Awesome.
100_3574.jpg

100_3576.jpg
100_3575.jpg

100_3568.jpg
100_3564.jpg

100_3563.jpg
100_3562.jpg

100_3573.jpg