• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock grips?

Mr blasty

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
MN
How do most people deal with Glock grips? Do you shift your hand around to allow it to point where your looking when you bring it up or do you get the most comfortable grip you can then adjust the sights? If I get a comfortable grip on my G19 the sights aren't 100% aligned when I bring the sights on target. But if I shift my grip so it points better then it feels like shit. Someday I'll send it off to have the grip reduced but since that's a way's off I was hoping you guys could help.

Re: Glock grips?

I'd look for a rubber slip on sleeve to adjust the angles for you.

Or look at a new gen 4 they have back straps you can change.

nah really skinny...hard as hell to get on ...probably why they stay on
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ribbed for pleasure! LOL </div></div>

Of course! Gotta get the full pleasure of each trigger pull!
grin.gif
I'll have to give one a shot. Any opinions on which one? I was thinking the Hogue one from midway.

I have used one on my duty weapon for the last 6 years. it makes a big difference to me.

Another avenue you might want to try is a stick on grip from true grip. I just got mine in tonight and put it on and there aint no way the pistol will slide around in my hand now. I was skeptical at first about a stick on grip, wasnt sure if they would stay on, but these things are outstanding! Granted I havent got to go out and rough house them yet but the way they install with all the stretching and pulling and dont come loose during all this that adhesive has got to be sure'nuff bad. Its got the consistancy of grip tape/light sand paper and they fit perfectly. And its pretty cheap, approx $40.00 for a set of three.
LINK - www.ericwesselman.com

Rubbers make the glock grips huge for me. I've got normal sized hands, maybe slightly small fingers, but basically average. Stick on grips (get the sand, not the rubberized) or stippling with a soldering iron is best.

But I think you're asking more about the biomechanics of a drawstroke than the grips themselves? It sounds like maybe you're swinging up when you draw, rather than punching the gun forward from your center mass.

My draw stroke on any pistol looks like this. You can sort of generalize and say each one of these stages takes a quarter second, plus the quarter second it takes for your brain to react to the stimulus to draw.

1. (fast, big movement) master hand to grip, support hand to center mass.
2. (slow, precise movement) secure grip on pistol with master hand--however long it takes to get a good grip (usually 1/4 second-ish, but maybe longer)
3. (fast, big movement)draw and bring gun to center mass, support hand meets grip, punch both arms forward. This punch forward from your center mass is crucial in terms of allowing your brain to automatically drive the pistol sights to the right place.

As you punch forward, you begin to become aware of the sights in peripheral vision, brain seems to naturally adjust for grip angle.

4. (slow, precise movement) fire shot getting the best sight picture possible for time available. Ie for long range maybe you're getting a perfect sight picture, for short range maybe you're just getting a flash sight picture, maybe just the front sight post on the target, even.

I've found that if you're punching the gun from center mass, your brain automatically adjusts the grip angle because it's aware of the sights as you are pushing the gun forward.

IE, your first stage in picking up a handgun is establishing your master grip. You should have that a full second before you're even fully able to fire a shot.

Finally, what is your support hand doing? If you're shooting weaver, with your support hand wrapped mostly around your master hand, that is going to contribute to the problem you are describing. If you are shooting isocoles, with your support wrist locked all the way down (your support hand thumb parallel to the ground), that tends to make sight alignment problems go away also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do most people deal with Glock grips? Do you shift your hand around to allow it to point where your looking when you bring it up or do you get the most comfortable grip you can then adjust the sights? If I get a comfortable grip on my G19 the sights aren't 100% aligned when I bring the sights on target. But if I shift my grip so it points better then it feels like shit. Someday I'll send it off to have the grip reduced but since that's a way's off I was hoping you guys could help.</div></div>
Your grip should be in place before drawing the gun from your holster, and your weak-hand marries up with it towards the centerline of your body prior to driving the weapon forward.

If you are re-adjusting your grip to comfortably acquire your sight picture after it's been drawn...holster it and try again. It's probably one of the single most important things you can train/practice (getting your gun into the fight from the holster).

My wife had a problem with the finger grooves on her G21SF being too wide apart so I handed it off to Ben at Boresight Solutions and he removed the grooves and reshaped/reduced the grip...another option to consider.
g2101.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rubbers make the glock grips huge for me. I've got normal sized hands, maybe slightly small fingers, but basically average. Stick on grips (get the sand, not the rubberized) or stippling with a soldering iron is best.

But I think you're asking more about the biomechanics of a drawstroke than the grips themselves? It sounds like maybe you're swinging up when you draw, rather than punching the gun forward from your center mass.

My draw stroke on any pistol looks like this. You can sort of generalize and say each one of these stages takes a quarter second, plus the quarter second it takes for your brain to react to the stimulus to draw.

1. (fast, big movement) master hand to grip, support hand to center mass.
2. (slow, precise movement) secure grip on pistol with master hand--however long it takes to get a good grip (usually 1/4 second-ish, but maybe longer)
3. (fast, big movement)draw and bring gun to center mass, support hand meets grip, punch both arms forward. This punch forward from your center mass is crucial in terms of allowing your brain to automatically drive the pistol sights to the right place.

As you punch forward, you begin to become aware of the sights in peripheral vision, brain seems to naturally adjust for grip angle.

4. (slow, precise movement) fire shot getting the best sight picture possible for time available. Ie for long range maybe you're getting a perfect sight picture, for short range maybe you're just getting a flash sight picture, maybe just the front sight post on the target, even.

I've found that if you're punching the gun from center mass, your brain automatically adjusts the grip angle because it's aware of the sights as you are pushing the gun forward.

IE, your first stage in picking up a handgun is establishing your master grip. You should have that a full second before you're even fully able to fire a shot.

Finally, what is your support hand doing? If you're shooting weaver, with your support hand wrapped mostly around your master hand, that is going to contribute to the problem you are describing. If you are shooting isocoles, with your support wrist locked all the way down (your support hand thumb parallel to the ground), that tends to make sight alignment problems go away also. </div></div>

This post was INCREDIBLY helpful!!!! I practiced punching it out forward vs swinging it up for about 10 seconds and it was night and day! Punching it out they where perfectly aligned and swinging them up the front sight post was about 1/2 covered by the rear sight post. I prefer a modified weaver stance but grip the firearm the way you described for the isosceles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife had a problem with the finger grooves on her G21SF being too wide apart so I handed it off to Ben at Boresight Solutions and he removed the grooves and reshaped/reduced the grip...another option to consider.
g2101.jpg

</div></div>

I will be sending mine to Borsight someday but money is an issue for me at the moment. I don't have an issue with the finger grooves but the rear hump makes the gun point like garbage!

I took some tape, if thats what you want to call it, and wrapped it around the grip. Its rubber with no adhesive and I guess it forms to its self. Didnt make the grip to wide for me and it provides more grip than without. I also tride no-skid tape I found at lowes. It was ok but grabbed my clothes when I carried.

Here is a link to something similar to what I used. Yes its a TV product but I got mine in the commissary. Mine was 5 bucks.

https://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/fixit_tape_ontv.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife had a problem with the finger grooves on her G21SF being too wide apart so I handed it off to Ben at Boresight Solutions and he removed the grooves and reshaped/reduced the grip...another option to consider.
g2101.jpg

</div></div>
How much $ did that set you back?

I bought my first Glock from my gunsmith, who also runs a Mom 'n Pop LGS. After my first range session, I went back to him to get my sights adjusted.

His first question was, "Are you shooting low and left?" I said I was. He told me it wasn't the gun, it was the shooter (that would be me). I was milking the trigger. With Glocks, you don't "feel for the break" or any of that esoteric nonsense, you just squeeze through, as decisively and as smoothly as possible. When it goes, it goes, and that's why they make double stack magazines.

Here's a good Todd Jarret video that illustrates proper pistol grip.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysa50-plo48"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysa50-plo48" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I will never send another gun to Bowie. That guy kept my duty weapon for over 8 months. Then when I called about it he was a smart ass. As a deputy sheriff he should have understood it was my duty weapon and let me keep it until he had time to do the work rather than let it sit in his shop for 8 months while I used a department weapon.

Anyway, the Boresight Solutions reduction really looks much better. I think that is where I will send my next one.