• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock Trigger Upgrade?

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
New Glock owner here. I've been shooting 1911's for some time so needless to say the trigger on the Gen4 G17 is a little different. Wanted some feedback from those that are more familiar with glocks and maybe have some firsthand expierence with trigger upgrades. I've looked at everything from the $0.25 glock trigger job to the $160 "skimmer" from glockworks and the "do nothing" option. Just hoping to get some feedback from those more in the know. Specifically, reliability with mods/upgrades and did it help you shoot better.(I know the second question is somewhat subjective.) Right now I'm actually considering the $0.25 job at home but thought that it couldn't hurt to ask others.

BTW, I have searched some other forums on this topic but after several years on multiple forums I tend to trust hiders more than other forum members.

Last edited:
I am a Glock fanboi, and keep a keg of Glock Kool-ade on tap at all times.

I've tried many, many different trigger configurations and dislike most of them. The aftermarket connectors trade off crispness for a lower pull weight, which I hate. It makes the trigger let-off feel mushy and vague.

The setup I prefer:

Stock connector
$0.25 trigger job - be careful, your'e not *removing* metal, just polishing
Low power firing pin safety spring
High power trigger return spring
Stock firing pin spring
Set/grind to fit sear engagement to ~.025" - this descreases creep and provides a crisper letoff.

Setting sear engagement:

Sharpie up the front face of the striker lug (the cruciform/sear engages this surface) and dryfire the pistol a dozen times while trying lift the slide off the frame (creates the least sear engagement possible condition). Inspect the wear pattern you're left with on the surface. If there is more than ~.025"-.030", you can grind down the bottom of the striker to decrease engagement.

This generally results in a ~4-5lb letoff weight, but it's crisp and clean.

I'm not aware of any trigger kit/system for a Glock that can come anywhere close to emulating that SA 1911 feel. You have to appreciate a Glock trigger for what it is, and it can't be compared to a 1911.

Last edited:
Turbo54, thanks for the insight. I understand that the trigger is never going to be anything like a SA1911 as they are two different animals. I just wanted to see what upgrades or modifications may help to improve overall feel(without sacrificing reliability) especially the crispness of the break. That being said your advice is especially helpful since you pointed out that a lighter trigger usually means more mush.

I like the 3.5 lbs Rocket connector (~$35) with the overtravel adjustment and a smooth trigger face, if it doesn't already have it.

In all honesty, my favorite glock trigger is a bone stock one after having 1k rounds shot through the gun. It just seems to really smooth out. I never liked the - connectors, aftermarket triggers, etc. Just shoot the stock one enough and trust me it will get smooth as silk.

Is it for carry or the range? If carry, i'd leave it alone. Otherwise, I recommend the 3.5lb Ghost Rocket Dis-connector. I'm very glad i put that in 2 of mine. My 30+ yard shots improved significantly, so I'm sure my close in shooting improved too. All I did was change out the dis-connector and polish everything up. I didn't change any spring weights and I've never had a problem.

The $.25 trigger job is in essence just speeding up smoothing out that happens over long term use. A good polish job definitely helps and I do it on my new stock triggers. I also like the 3.5 lb factory glock trigger connector.

BUY the lighter trigger spring from GLOCK past that I do not think aftermarket anything on the INSIDE of a GLOCK is a good idea(OUTSIDE OF THE GLOCK SOME BUT NOT ALL). TOO many people on here say look I made it better with aftermarket ..........but now I have problems with it. Can you help.

I'm a fan of putting some rounds down range while keeping it stock to break everything in. My experience is they've really smoothed out with age. I haven't tried any internal experiments but have heard too many problems after guys install those. I have to trust my weapons and don't want to risk any sacrifice. Sounds like some good advice from others experience on here though.

My humble opinion:

I have over 10k on my factory Gen 3 G34.... no issues to date.

I have a Gen 3 G19 with 1.5k.... no issues to date.

I have a new Gen 4 G19 enroute... and I plan on leaving it as is.

Love a Glock for what it is. Reliable

Last edited:
The $.25 trigger job is in essence just speeding up smoothing out that happens over long term use. A good polish job definitely helps and I do it on my new stock triggers. I also like the 3.5 lb factory glock trigger connector.

Same here on all mine.

What I did was, lighter connector but heavier trigger spring (results in less slack, while the connector obviously results in less poundage overall), and polish the rest of the components (.25ct job).
Don't replace the striker spring as well if you want reliability and a working safety.

I have a Glockworx ZEV trigger in my G20. It is pricey, but I absolutely love it. It is night and day different. I pre-ordered a Timberwolf (Lonewolf aftermarket Glock frame) and plan to build a 23. It will have a ZEV trigger in it.