• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gluttons for punishment only, .224 bullets @ over 1K

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I'm headed out the the desert next weekend and am in the process of loading.
I have 75 AMAX's and 80 Sierras to use.
Using the usual apps the AMAX seems to come out on top.
Does anyone have experience to the contrary?
From the splash a 162 AMAX makes it stands to reason that hits might be easier to see on steel.

From the calculators it looks like I can get out to about 1200.
223AI BTW, thanks guys.

Yeah, the Amax definitely has the better BC of the two. Going transonic the Sierra might do better but you might run out of scope adjustment by then. My 223 with 75 Amax does good out to 950 but at 1k its all over, maybe not stabilized enough.

Since you are running an improved, it might make it...

I'm using a Bushy HDMR G2, almost enough mils for 1200 in the reticle @ 15X.
It's an 8 twist and I should be at 2900 fps, 5K+ ASL.
My 16" AR with a 7.7 and 75 Hornady BTHP's couldn't connect with an 18x18 last time I was out there.
@ 700 it was hammering.
We'll find out how the AMAX's do over the weekend :)

With an AI- why not 80 AMAX? That is what I am planning to run in mine when it is finished. At my DA supersonic to right around 1200.

Ive run some 80's but had to hand feed them. The 77's go 1,000 pretty easy. Dont know about 1200. I could never tell if I was making hits when I tried.

I would go with the sierras. They have worked much better than the a max for me when stretching the limits.

I ended up shooting the AMAX's exclusively. We were 5200' asl and the winds weren't too bad. I was able to hit a 1200 yard e type pretty consistently. I got one hit at 1300 but it was pretty challenging making corrections due to the angle of the trajectory at that range. I really can't ask for much more out of an Ackley with a 20" tube.