• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going to start reloading for my 300wm

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I have a rem 700 5r 300wm I'm going to start reloading for. I'm hoping you guys don't mind posting up your recipe's so I can see what is common, etc and then get a good starting point, etc.

Thanks,
Corey

Just been starting to test loads for mine; Rem 783 with 26” Criterion 1:10” bull barrel. Initial testing it seems to like 225 ELD-M, RL-26 74.2, Hornady cases with a MZ of 2950.

I guess the main thing I'm curious about is which powder people recommend and why? Or does it even matter. I have the lyman 50th to help find a starting point. Just cuirous if there is a certain powder most here recommend?

I will be watching this thread with great interest.
20190501_192001.jpg

Reactions: AMGtuned
I guess the main thing I'm curious about is which powder people recommend and why? Or does it even matter. I have the lyman 50th to help find a starting point. Just cuirous if there is a certain powder most here recommend?

H1000, RL26, or Retumbo are going to be what most are using.

With 200 grain accubond, 208amax and 210 vld H1000 has been my favorite and about all I use for those weights.
H100V has been good with 178amax and 180 accubonds.

I was hoping to go with a 200grain. I do hunt (mostly deer) and any bullets you guys would recommend (looking at hornady eld-x or the federal edge tlr ? Yah, I see the H1000 listed in the lyman manual. I see the RX25 load yielded the highest velocity though?

I personally believe that 200 grain bullets in the 300wm is serious overkill for whitetail deer even elk if at reasonable hunting distances.
If your primary use will be hunting whitetail I would suggest a monolithic expanding bullet in the 168 grain class.
It would be very flat shooting at typical hunting distances.
All of the whitetail deer I have shot with the 300wm have been head and neck shots with 180 grain bullets and the damage is pretty dramatic.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I was looking at smaller bullets so they are faster and flatter, but after reading the hunting forums everyone said go with a heavier grain as it will hold together better, damage less meat, etc. Almost everyone said 200+ grain for hunting deer to almost anything. Just holds the bullet together, doesn't shatter, etc.

Reactions: eightyeight mag
If you looking at 200 gr.
Take a look at the sierra game king and smk
The smk is not the newest and hottest but the football shape makes it easy to find a load for.
the bc of both of them is verrry close, and they both get to 1k easy and accurately
You can use the same load for both bullets, so you practice with the same ballistics as you hunt with.

H1000
imr4350
Winchester brass
federal match primers

Time honored recipes

76.5 H1000 behind a 208 ELDM does well at about 2925-2950fps in my Kreiger 1:10 with A191 throat/chamber. If your 5r is like most recent R700s, you have a long throat. Measure it for sure. I also used RE22 behind 190SMKs. Cannot remember charge but 3000fps was the node.

I go between H1000 and RL26 with federal match primers and norma brass, and berger 230's.

Montrose

I was looking at smaller bullets so they are faster and flatter, but after reading the hunting forums everyone said go with a heavier grain as it will hold together better, damage less meat, etc. Almost everyone said 200+ grain for hunting deer to almost anything. Just holds the bullet together, doesn't shatter, etc.

That's why I suggested a Barnes TTSX or similar bullet in a lighter weight.
They don't come apart regardless of how fast you push them.
The 180 class of bullets is a good compromise and go bonded if you want a tougher bullet but still consider 180-200 grain bullets in the 300wm serious overkill for thin skinned light game like whitetail deer but there's no arguing it's effectiveness when it strikes it's mark and then when it dumps the remaining 2000ft lbs of energy into whatever is behind the animal.

I'm about to try out IMR 7828 with 190 and 220gr Sierra Matchkings. H1000 is great, and I had some great loads with IMR 4350 and 150gr for hunting. Around 3200fps