• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Going to take the plunge on a suppressor

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I despise the .gov BS that is required for us to suppress a rifle. Fucking stupid.

That said, I have decided to go ahead and get one for my new DT SRS. I want a can that will work well with both the 308 and 338LM conversions.

The only suppressors I have ever shot belong to a buddy of mine. I think he owns a few different brands, but seems particularly impressed with the ones made by Elite Iron. A bit heavier than the competition, from what I understand, but very effective. I do know this, we shot his Barrett 50 with one on it, and I was astonished at the level of noise reduction.

My one concern was with the intense mirage generated on the the .50 and 338LM cans. This was bad enough that it would be a deal breaker for me, but he has since added suppressor covers and says this really alleviated the problems.

So, I would like to hear opinions on what cans should be considered for best bang for buck? Would love to hear opinions from guys shooting the DT 338 and 308.

BTW- took the rifle to the range for the first time today. Very impressed. RR in another of my posts.

Re: Going to take the plunge on a suppressor

I'd talk to Shark here, he's got some 338's almost ready, great reviews on his suppressors and they are TI so they are light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I despise the .gov BS that is required for us to suppress a rifle. Fucking stupid.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FFCC33">thats my opinion as well</span>

+1 what jasonK said

I am a class 3 dlr and as you can imagine I have heard,seen,used,etc quite a few cans. One my favorite 338 cans is gem-tech's PSR. It is a fast attach can and mounts on very nice brake. It is very competitively priced with a msrp of $1195,but can be had for closer to $1100 or maybe even better depending where you get it.It also tames the .308 very well. Also Gem-tech's CS is second to none.

Now with that being said most of the top brand .338 cans do a pretty good job and realisticly you would probably be more than satisfied with any of them. So you really need to look at build quality,customer service,and PRICE. AAC and surefire also make very nice cans but you will pay for them. On a side note I wont deal with surefire as they think they are to good for small dealers.In order to be able to sell their cans you first have to become a flashlight dealer,which I can only assume has an exsorbent buy in, and then they will "consider" you for a suppressor dealer.I just refuse to buy from companies that dont care about the little guy because they have their gov contracts and you guys know who I am talking about.There are quite a few.Well I got a little off subject sorry about that.

All in all since you cant just go and pick up a different one without waiting approval again just make sure you get what you really want even if it is a little more money.If you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to contact me here or at [email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a class 3 dlr and as you can imagine I have heard,seen,used,etc quite a few cans. One my favorite 338 cans is gem-tech's PSR. It is a fast attach can and mounts on very nice brake. It is very competitively priced with a msrp of $1195,but can be had for closer to $1100 or maybe even better depending where you get it.It also tames the .308 very well. Also Gem-tech's CS is second to none.

Now with that being said most of the top brand .338 cans do a pretty good job and realisticly you would probably be more than satisfied with any of them. So you really need to look at build quality,customer service,and PRICE. AAC and surefire also make very nice cans but you will pay for them. On a side note I wont deal with surefire as they think they are to good for small dealers.In order to be able to sell their cans you first have to become a flashlight dealer,which I can only assume has an exsorbent buy in, and then they will "consider" you for a suppressor dealer.I just refuse to buy from companies that dont care about the little guy because they have their gov contracts and you guys know who I am talking about.There are quite a few.Well I got a little off subject sorry about that.

All in all since you cant just go and pick up a different one without waiting approval again just make sure you get what you really want even if it is a little more money.If you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to contact me here or at [email protected] </div></div>

As you are a dealer,what would you recommend for a 5.56 AR that will also work on a 22LR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Are you kidding? I know a SF dealer that has four customers. He sells shit to his buddies to make the minimums. Apparently they aren't that high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On a side note I wont deal with surefire as they think they are to good for small dealers.In order to be able to sell their cans you first have to become a flashlight dealer,which I can only assume has an exsorbent buy in, and then they will "consider" you for a suppressor dealer.I just refuse to buy from companies that dont care about the little guy because they have their gov contracts and you guys know who I am talking about.There are quite a few.Well I got a little off subject sorry about that.
</div></div>

+1 I've had the same problem w/ SF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As you are a dealer,what would you recommend for a 5.56 AR that will also work on a 22LR? </div></div>

Ok, you can shoot 22 thru a 556 can with no problems. BUT you will want to get a dedicated 22 can, it is just such a dirty round that it needs to be take apart for cleaning of lead deposits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On a side note I wont deal with surefire as they think they are to good for small dealers.In order to be able to sell their cans you first have to become a flashlight dealer,which I can only assume has an exsorbent buy in, and then they will "consider" you for a suppressor dealer.I just refuse to buy from companies that dont care about the little guy because they have their gov contracts and you guys know who I am talking about.There are quite a few.Well I got a little off subject sorry about that.
</div></div>

+1 I've had the same problem w/ SF </div></div>

They have a policy of only selling to FFL's with a Storefront, no home based FFLs.

I'm not sure why they have this policy, but I know a few of the wholesale distributors do also, I don't understand why as long as your money is green why do they care who buys what? I have to follow the same regs/procedures as the guy down the street with a storefront.

I'm okay with it as I get what I need from the mfgs/wholesalers that don't have such a silly policy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As you are a dealer,what would you recommend for a 5.56 AR that will also work on a 22LR? </div></div>

Ok, you can shoot 22 thru a 556 can with no problems. BUT you will want to get a dedicated 22 can, it is just such a dirty round that it needs to be take apart for cleaning of lead deposits. </div></div>

Have there been any long term studies of issues with .22 sealed cans?

I have a couple of demo .22 cans that have seen literally 1000's of rounds, one SRT Cheyenne XL that (best guess) has 6000 rounds thru it that is still quiet as a mouse farting on cotton on a P22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok, you can shoot 22 thru a 556 can with no problems. BUT you will want to get a dedicated 22 can, it is just such a dirty round that it needs to be take apart for cleaning of lead deposits. </div></div>

Have there been any long term studies of issues with .22 sealed cans?

I have a couple of demo .22 cans that have seen literally 1000's of rounds, one SRT Cheyenne XL that (best guess) has 6000 rounds thru it that is still quiet as a mouse farting on cotton on a P22. </div></div>

I dont know if they have done a study or not. I bought my pilot as a demo can that I have talked with the guys at AAC and have been told that they would see what was going on with it and do whatever they could do legally to is for me if I wanted them to but I havent taken it over to their shop.

I have seen various 22lr cans all gummed up with lead. Most of these were shot through M16s with 22 conversions. 10k rounds is easy to go through with a 22lr with a M16
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen various 22lr cans all gummed up with lead. Most of these were shot through M16s with 22 conversions. 10k rounds is easy to go through with a 22lr with a M16
smile.gif
</div></div>

From what I understand .22 thru a full auto the barrel heats up to the point the lead actually turns molten so I could see this being an issue in this case, I wonder if any long term studies have shown any issues on a .22 can dedicated to a pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They have a policy of only selling to FFL's with a Storefront, no home based FFLs. </div></div>

I have a policy of not doing business with MFGs who think I am stupid and tell blatant lies.

url]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a class 3 dlr and as you can imagine I have heard,seen,used,etc quite a few cans. One my favorite 338 cans is gem-tech's PSR. It is a fast attach can and mounts on very nice brake. It is very competitively priced with a msrp of $1195,but can be had for closer to $1100 or maybe even better depending where you get it.It also tames the .308 very well. Also Gem-tech's CS is second to none.

All in all since you cant just go and pick up a different one without waiting approval again just make sure you get what you really want even if it is a little more money.If you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to contact me here or at [email protected] </div></div>

As you are a dealer,what would you recommend for a 5.56 AR that will also work on a 22LR? </div></div>You can use any 223/556 can you want on a 22lr and it will be quiet the problems with doing this are the weight of a 223 can is going to be overbearing on most 22lr guns,ecspecially pistols.The other problem is going to be lead build up from the 22lr ammo.My suggestion would be to get a can for each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They have a policy of only selling to FFL's with a Storefront, no home based FFLs. </div></div>

I have a policy of not doing business with MFGs who think I am stupid and tell blatant lies.

url]
</div></div>Its been a while since I have seen that. It still makes me chuckle a little.