• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gong To Sniper Selection...

Hello,

I am not a sniper. I thought about becoming one when I was younger and engaged my cousin (who was a SEAL Team Sniper at the time) on how to do this.

What he told me was to shut up and listen to the instructors. Before even trying, spend all the time I could in running. Shooting is easy, he said, but the PT and concealment is what kills.

I ended up not joining the military but took something in the private sector instead. I don't regret not joining. I'd have had to get a medical waiver anyway.

But the one thing that sticks with me over 16 years later is the part about setting up the shot being so much more than being able to shoot. Of course, you should be able to hit what you're shooting at, but getting there is essential.

Try still squirrel hunting and limit yourself to 10 yards or less. You twitch and they're gone. It's strange, but I really did start getting my bag limit using that advice.

Josh

Yup, at Bragg.

Range 44 on Bragg? Was just there a few weeks ago shooting m107s! Sounds like a wicked story dude.

On topic, there's nothing special about being a sniper or a scout. If people would get over the "I need a title" or "look at my tab" mentality, the army, especially my unit, would be a better place. Just the fact that you can't get a 300 already makes you a big fat pussy. Pride isn't in a tab, pride isn't in a title, and pride isn't in a bumper sticker. It's in the way you perform, and you just got back from a deployment (where you probably had more than enough food, maybe you didn't?). You have no excuse to not be the most jacked motherfucker ever right now (unless you were at a plt cop the entire time and didn't have any food...). Start by performing at your current job, then go worry about getting applying for another.

"On topic, there's nothing special about being a sniper or a scout. If people would get over the "I need a title" or "look at my tab" mentality, the army, especially my unit, would be a better place. Just the fact that you can't get a 300 already makes you a big fat pussy. Pride isn't in a tab, pride isn't in a title, and pride isn't in a bumper sticker. It's in the way you perform, and you just got back from a deployment (where you probably had more than enough food, maybe you didn't?). You have no excuse to not be the most jacked motherfucker ever right now (unless you were at a plt cop the entire time and didn't have any food...). Start by performing at your current job, then go worry about getting applying for another. "

LOL! That's Awesome Jeff. Yeah I was on that PLT. COP...where your gym has no good equipment, and in a sandbag-tent. Yeah I had to steal more portions at times because what they gave us was that F-ing ridiculous! I also stole food under the MKT chow Nazis nose for my team members more than once...Before you think I'm robbing food during NO RESPPLY, that wasn't the case. (though we ran out of shit a lot.) It was when the F-ing lazy POG Faggots weren't performing their jobs to standard. It took months of this, an investigation, and some BIG F-ups on the chow POGs behalf before he went away...Even then it wasn't much better. I requested chow in care packages. When the portions were too small and when it was rancid, I would live on protein shakes. ( and yeah, I was " in the gym" we will just say...lol :)

I'm not really sure if it is my place to comment, as I'm not a sniper, nor have I been to sniper school selection. I am simply one of those POG Fags you don't want to listen to. I feel great advise has been given, however not fully received. When a person has to go out of their way to prove that they have "been there and done that" just so you will take their advice, thats not humility. like everyone has been saying you can learn something from everyone. I know I have. I have been through several selective schools in the military in both the USMC and USA. Currently there are about 25 people in the Army that do the same job I do. I have talked with everyone from a General to a PFC, that includes grunts, POGs, squids, you name it. One thing you would benefit from is knowing that we are all "Brothers in Arms" with one goal in mind, thats to support and defend the Constitution, and the people of this great country. I do understand that you are trying to prepare yourself for the unknown. I get that I have been there on several occasions, and the more information you have the better prepared you feel. One big thing about that However is knowing that some of the best advice can come from anyone at anytime.

What unit are you in? And what does the acronym DICK stand for?

"On topic, there's nothing special about being a sniper or a scout. If people would get over the "I need a title" or "look at my tab" mentality, the army, especially my unit, would be a better place. Just the fact that you can't get a 300 already makes you a big fat pussy. Pride isn't in a tab, pride isn't in a title, and pride isn't in a bumper sticker. It's in the way you perform, and you just got back from a deployment (where you probably had more than enough food, maybe you didn't?). You have no excuse to not be the most jacked motherfucker ever right now (unless you were at a plt cop the entire time and didn't have any food...). Start by performing at your current job, then go worry about getting applying for another. "

LOL! That's Awesome Jeff. Yeah I was on that PLT. COP...where your gym has no good equipment, and in a sandbag-tent. Yeah I had to steal more portions at times because what they gave us was that F-ing ridiculous! I also stole food under the MKT chow Nazis nose for my team members more than once...Before you think I'm robbing food during NO RESPPLY, that wasn't the case. (though we ran out of shit a lot.) It was when the F-ing lazy POG Faggots weren't performing their jobs to standard. It took months of this, an investigation, and some BIG F-ups on the chow POGs behalf before he went away...Even then it wasn't much better. I requested chow in care packages. When the portions were too small and when it was rancid, I would live on protein shakes. ( and yeah, I was " in the gym" we will just say...lol :)

Is this thing closed cuz that was a brutal read :) I think Delta 4-3 takes it for the win

Delta 4-3 was my call sign. I was 11b in the 82nd and 2/75, also a SOTIC grad with deployments to Sadr city and Helmand lugging an M24. I'd still be doing it if I wasn't 100% disabled from frag. Oh yeah, and the youngest e-5 in the battalion with a PT score that didn't drop below 300 until after I the shrapnel went through my throat, shoulder, chest cavity, and the full length of my spine.

9PAnEfw.jpg

Can I ask you a really stupid question? Okay I'm going to make myself look ignorant are those pieces of metal part of the explosive or part of the surrounding area

Delta 4-3, Sua Sponte Brother! Old B 2/75'r here.

And to OP, as already stated, you have to be willing to learn from anyone. I won't regurgitate what has already been said. I learned a lot in the military and may have internally thought I was hot shit, but as a civilian LEO, the military marksmen typically did not do as well as the LEO's at sniper courses. The areas they did excel in were field craft, they could hump like nobodies business and built great hides. What did they all share however, they were all humble.

Another good source for information is SOCNET,com. They have a Sniper section. But if you thought the responses here were brutal, you may not like it over there!

Last edited:
As someone who has been through the course (twice) I can tell you that all the information given has been spot on. As far as discounting the cives goes you're out of your mind. These guys know how to shoot. Think about it, you have to worry about runs, ruck marches, target ID, range estimation, written tests and the biggest thing most sniper cannidates fail on. The stalks.....and the cives you so easily discounted has nothing but time to work on marksmanship. Like everyone else said drop the attitude. The best advice I can give you is listen to the instructors and study. The night you decide to catch an extra hour of sleep instead of going over notes is the night before you send your spotter home because you screwed up. Good luck

"Delta 4-3 owe you an apology. You know what its like to lose members of your team. You don't need to share that for me to know you do. I didn't mean to strike a cord in you. I'm ashamed you shared that to prove a point to me. Please forgive me."
CS, That's a good start on the humility aspect.
No problem brother. In all seriousness, just go hang out with the guys doing the selection, form a good relationship with them, and glean any info you can from them and you'll be set.

Can I ask you a really stupid question? Okay I'm going to make myself look ignorant are those pieces of metal part of the explosive or part of the surrounding area

Not a Dumb question, they are part of a copper disc placed in front of the explosive that is housed in a crude tube.

delta 4 3 would that I were half the man you are, thanks..............
You're probably more of a man than me, I get bossed around by a wife and three daughters all the time and just tuck my tail between my legs....

Delta 4-3 was my call sign. I was 11b in the 82nd and 2/75, also a SOTIC grad with deployments to Sadr city and Helmand lugging an M24. I'd still be doing it if I wasn't 100% disabled from frag. Oh yeah, and the youngest e-5 in the battalion with a PT score that didn't drop below 300 until after I the shrapnel went through my throat, shoulder, chest cavity, and the full length of my spine.

9PAnEfw.jpg

Thanks for your service brother... Sadar city, Mosul and yusufiyah was few of my AO's.

To the OP, humility is needed.

Can we get a SH Hall of Fame section for threads like this, the 'how to evade a sniper', Spin-D, Coriolis device and other fantastic threads?

Hell, I may even make it with the thread I made a year or two ago asking WTF gear was called a prison purse since I saw the term used all the time.

Thanks for your service brother... Sadar city, Mosul and yusufiyah was few of my AO's.

To the OP, humility is needed.

Same to you brother! I bet you miss the beautiful sunsets, and serene walks down the streets of Sadr don't you!?

German, I must have missed the Spin-D thread, you should link it for me. The others were indeed classic!

Same to you brother! I bet you miss the beautiful sunsets, and serene walks down the streets of Sadr don't you!?

Haha, lucky for me brother, I spent a lot of time by or in the "Russian power plant" outside of Sadar/yusufihah AO... pretty sure you 82nd boys took over for us. Reading your prior threads leads me to believe we we're cut from the same cloth (3 kids and a commanding wife:)). Again, thanks for your service. You represent your brothers well in this thread.

No further questions your honor.... Case dismissed....... Airborne

They let you keep your additions?!?!?!?!?!? I tried but I was given the no-go

Get off the computer, hit the FM's on land nav, get in frikken shape, unless they changed the scoring system you should be on remedial PT as an 11 Bang Bang. Shut your mouth unless you have a question, listen carefully. Land nav and running. If you graduate, keep your mouth shut and do your job. Oh, and keep your mouth shut.

Haha, lucky for me brother, I spent a lot of time by or in the "Russian power plant" outside of Sadar/yusufihah AO... pretty sure you 82nd boys took over for us. Reading your prior threads leads me to believe we we're cut from the same cloth (3 kids and a commanding wife:)). Again, thanks for your service. You represent your brothers well in this thread.

Thank you on both counts!