• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Good 'budget' Scotch?

While my favorites are in the $42-80 dollar range I can throw a few excellent suggestions in the $20-40 budget.
A few even under $20 yep…..I ain’t kidding ya!
Black Bottle $18
Islay Mist $19 a young Laphroiag is the main malt
Tomatin $28 finished in sherry cask
Auchentoshen $29
Glenmorangie $37 a great single malt not too pricey
Monkey Shoulder $27 this is a vatted scotch with NO grain alcohols main malt is Balvenie
Blends; Black Grouse is doable $28 , Teachers Highland $18
You don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy scotch, but…..if you have the pennies Aberlour, Belvenie, Arbeg
Glenfarclas are all delicious.
My go to dram for the last 6 months is BUNNAHABHAIN $40

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life...

Though I do tend to keep more single malt on hand than anything.

So, that's what your room looks like in your mom's basement. :) I tried not to say it but, the Devil made me do it. Seriously, did you consume all those? Which ones have most peat? ( those I don't want to try)
Are the differences big between brands of the same type/age? Example: I find very little difference between Glenfidch & Glenlivet 12yr.

Spring Bank 10 year is really good. As for spring water, you need just a few drops to help bring out the full flavor of the scotch.

Cheers,

George

So, that's what your room looks like in your mom's basement. :) I tried not to say it but, the Devil made me do it. Seriously, did you consume all those? Which ones have most peat? ( those I don't want to try)
Are the differences big between brands of the same type/age? Example: I find very little difference between Glenfidch & Glenlivet 12yr.

Ha, that's MY basement, thank you very much!

I have a cigar lounge in my basement, and it is a popular place to be during football season. I like to keep a good selection available because I enjoy scotch, and also because I want to be a good host. Some of the selections aren't there for variety, some were just gifts.

Now, to answer your questions- I'll do the best I can but my Scotch drinking is a little rusty as I haven't drank much of it since the Super Bowl. I got on a side car kick, and then started drinking a lot of Plymouth gin Martinis.

Yes, I have drank all of them. And all of them on the shelf have varying degrees of scotch left in them, I don't put empties up there. Personal favorites are anything Balvenie, and The Macallan 12. If you want to avoid peat, steer clear of any islay scotch, as it is like drinking a campfire. You may find that your tastes progress into an enjoyment of a heavily peated scotch. Those would be the two green bottles of Laphroaig. If you want to experiment with more peat without getting into the full on assault of an islay, try Talisker 10, though the peat is still pretty strong.

And yes- the different expressions from the same brand DO offer different flavors, though if you are new to scotch you may not be able to notice them. If a scotch tasting event ever becomes available in your area, it could be a good learning experience for you as they tell you what flavors to look for. It is much easier when you have a little direction. Personally, I like to get out a number of matching glasses with a good friend, make small pours of a number of different scotches, or even different cask expressions if the same brand. If you can do an A/B comparison, and use someone else' experience as a guide, it can make it a lot easier to pull out the subtle nuances. I don't recommend drinking a whole bottle and then buying something else. I recommend getting a small collection together, so that you can taste the difference on the same night and not have to go on memory.

Good luck!

-Bob

That's wise advice Bob, and not just for scotch's. But for all different drinks. So show us a close-up of the Bourbon selection that you've got. There are so many that we are not able to get up here (in Canada) so it takes traveler's to bring 'arranged' gifts.

bm11, I admire your desire to be hospitable. Can I be your friend ? :) I think your advise on several brands to sample is great. I may have to try the Talisker when the missus is out. ( she can barely tolerate the Highland Brews smell )

Dang this site. I thought reloading supplies and such were gonna be the end of me, but now I just bought a bottle of The Macallan because of you all. Just like everything else gun related though I didn't tell the wife what it cost

Which ones have most peat? ( those I don't want to try)

If you don't like the peat smoke - you may not want to try Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Those are two of my favorites - but they're very heavy on the smoke. My wife hates the smell, and she calls it "campfire whisky".

bm11, I admire your desire to be hospitable. Can I be your friend ? :)

Any time you find yourself in Central Maine, please feel free to look me up. You can sample any spirits I have on hand, and drink as much as you want of whatever two varieties of draft beer I have on hand at the time.

I can't believe not one mention of Highland park. while it is a few more dollars than the OP's price area, the 15 and 18 are absolutely GTG. Not to smokey not to heavy.

First off, my palate enjoys American whiskeys over European ones. Scoff all you want, but give me three fingers of George T Stagg any day. Smooth Ambler is also great, and Jefferson's Presidential Reserve will blow your mind, but I digress.

If you MUST drink Scotch, then there's a few that are nice. I don't like peat-bombs: Lagavulin or Laphroig. Way too peaty for my taste. Oban 14 is good, as is damn near any of the Highland Parks I've tried, though both are hard to find in my area.

By far my favorite Scotch is Old Pulteney 21 year (which became impossible to find last year), but the 12 year is in the budget range you're talking about and it's excellent. Old Pulteney is distilled in Wick at the northern tip of Scotland, and I swear to god, you can taste the saltiness of the air in that whisky. They also distill in bourbon casks, which may be part of the reason I'm so partial to OP. Old Pulteney for me is less peaty and almost savory, which is why I like it after a dinner of steak or lamb, or with a medium to full cigar. I can bottles for around $34, and I haven't found another scotch I like better for the price.

I can't believe not one mention of Highland park. while it is a few more dollars than the OP's price area, the 15 and 18 are absolutely GTG. Not to smokey not to heavy.

Wrong. See post #11

Just cracked a bottle if MACALLAN 12 with a couple buddies. Smooth is the word. Still lacking in that last bit of finesse found in a fine cognac, but damn nice for the $$$.

EDIT!!!!

Just came from a bar that had Aphoraig 10 so I thought Id give the peat a try. MISTAKE. That shit is nasty. Reminded me of when we were about 16 and would get a six pack of cheap beer and a bottle of Paregoric (back when it still had tincture of opium in it) and get trashed. That paregoric would plug you up for 2-3 days but what a buzz from th opium and beer; but it smelled just like that peat scotch. Once was enough. Stick to MACALLANS.

Last edited: