• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Bullet Weight for .308?

Re: Good Bullet Weight for .308?

My M1A likes Sierra 168 grain Match Kings, but then again I haven't shot past 800 yards.

The 168 SMK is a very versatile bullet that generally achieves excellent accuracy with a wide range of seating depths and component combinations.
Tangent ogive bullet designs, (like the 168 SMK) usually attain good accuracy with less work and seem more forgiving of ammunition variations.
I think they are ideal bullets for an autoloader as they seem to tolerate the abuse well while still giving great accuracy.

Although it would never be my top bullet pick, if I were tasked to make accurate .308 target ammunition for sale to the general public, it'd be topped with a 168 SMK.

+1 for 175's. though of course it all depends on what your gun with your twist rate likes to eat. i have a Savage 10FCP with a 1:10 twist and it likes 168's and 175's, but the 175's are better for longer distance. i also agree with those saying that for maximum performance, see how fast you can push the 155 scenars.

I've long loaded the 178 A-max with 50.0 RL-17 in a 27" tube with wonderful long range results.
That load would stay supersonic to past 1100 yards and the wind drifts were good.
I think that some of the BC's listed for the 155 grain bullets are a little optimistic and misleading.
155's are my favorite when loading for shorter barrels.

I also ahve had excellent accuracy with 168 grain SMK using 39 to 41 grains of 4895. But my shooting has been limited to 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, It's 1 AM so please excuse any errors in this post.

Secondly, based on the advice of some members of SH, I bought a Remington 700P with a SWFA SS 10X?HD scope around 2 months ago.

I'm new to shooting over 100 yards.

I'm ready to buy my .308 reloading equipment tomorrow and was wondering if there is a standard (good) bullet weight for shooting the 700P.

Thanks...I'm now shooting around 300 yds if that makes a difference. </div></div>

Since you're just starting in handloading and shooting, I would not worry about getting specialized bullets right now. Just forget the 155, you do not need them, same with the 175s and up. If I were you, I would pick up some 168gr SMKs or similar and learn to handload and shoot. These bullets are easy to load for and will give you great accuracy to 600 yards and beyond. Learn to walk before you run and you will do well. </div></div>

That's sound advise right there. That is the stage I am in. I've been experimenting with 168gr. SMKs for paper and 165 Sierra Game Kings for hunting. They are 3 grains different but print very close to the same. I have reached out to 500 yards with the 168 gr. SMKs being pushed by H Varget with good results. I havn't mastered it yet so I'm gonna keep at it until I'm more comfortable, then I'll go beyond 500 with 175gr. SMKs.

Wilsun, I wouldn't get a progressive press if you're looking for accuracy. A powder measure can vary the charge +/- 1 grain. You need to load your ammo with consistancy in mind not speed. In other words do the job right not fast. A powder measure will dramatically speed things up, but you need to set it to throw the charge a little below the desired weight and trickle powder into the pan while it is on the scale. I used a single stage press for 8 months before I went to a turret press. I only went to a turret press because I was tired of resetting dies after I changed them out because they were not set "perfect" after having removed them and then replaced them in the press.