• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Good cqb scope?

eterp997

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
I have a ruger 10/22 which i made tactical (tapco 6pos stock, grips, heavy barrel, etc) and I am looking for a good scope to use for quick target acquiring. Ideally... I'd like a 1x scope NON RELIANT ON BATTERIES, or like a 1-4..no more than a 2x minimum. I don't want to spend over $250 on one (as it is only a 10/22). I'm trying to set up a good zombie gun
laugh.gif

I'm thinking something along the lines of this... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313GgHUBK-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BUT with a reticle type like this... http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t104005.html

again I do not want to have to rely on electronics/battery, if the reticle illuminates thats fine, just as long as its off there is still a reticle there.

Any recommendations on a lower priced good cqb small scope?

Re: Good cqb scope?

I did consider that leatherwood, but one think i noticed...is the reticle easy to see when not illuminated?

sorry..didnt see the last part of your comment

I think that the visibility of black non-illuminated reticles is dependent on two things.

1. How thick is the reticle?
2. How dark is the background?

Other than those two variables, I think that, as far as visibility goes, a reticle is a reticle is a reticle. (Unless you count the quality of the glass - which can certainly affect overall image quality.)

I mean more like..how do i know if the whole reticle will dissappear when not lit up or not?

This is my thinking...I'm building a go-to "incase of zombies" gun, and the last thing I want is a battery going dead and leaving me with no sight. So if the battery dies, I want the reticle to stay there so I can use it with no batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mean more like..how do i know if the whole reticle will dissappear when not lit up or not?

This is my thinking...I'm building a go-to "incase of zombies" gun, and the last thing I want is a battery going dead and leaving me with no sight. So if the battery dies, I want the reticle to stay there so I can use it with no batteries.</div></div>

Red dot sights such as Aimpoints and EOtech are dependent on batteries. Their aim point is projected, they are only rarely magnified, and I have never seen a variable powered one. Variable power magnified optics such as 1-4x and 1-6x scopes do not work in this fashion. Instead they have a permanent wire or etched reticle that the illumination is typically reflected off. I am not aware of any variable power scopes that use solely the red dot style projected reticles. All have a reticle that is present with or without illumination. The firefield you have mentioned is no exception to this. It has an etched reticle that is always present.

I hope this helps.