• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Good double action pistol

79M1a-texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Denton County, Texas
Any recommendations for a medium sized frame double action pistol? It would be be the truck gun. The 1911 5" slide is just to big to hide. Interested in 9mm or the 40's. How about the Taurus 24/7 PRO .40 SUB 3"?

Re: Good double action pistol

got a springfeild xd sub compact for my truck gun, would have went with the glock but wanted a stainless slide as i dont plan to clean it much, and they hold 13+1 in 9mm

Why double action? I hate double action.

I'd have to point you to a Sig 229 in either 9mm or .40S&W. You get what you pay for, including pistols. But nothing wrong with a Glock 19 or 23.
Depends on your budget, I guess. JPG

Glock 19, 23, 29 (10mm rocks) and a 30.

Technically the 29 and 30 are compact frames, but they're still beefy pistols.

I hide a 29 in my car sometimes, usually a 357 with a 4" barrel.

A friend keeps his 22 in the arm rest without any issue.

CZ 75 compact, I have the 9mm. Two configurations, get the one you can carry cocked and locked the other is a hammer drop. One of the best double actions out there.

ever consider Auto Ordinance double actions??? I don't own one but have shot a friends. Very nice gun. I have a Springfield 1911 compensated as a truck gun... used it on a skanky lookin' fox yesterday.

228/229 sig if you must have a double-action but if it were me, I'd opt for a decent 1911 (which is NOT too large to conceal).

The steyr m40a1 is a DAO and has a nice trigger, its more like a hybrid dao. The sights take some getting used to but I had one and it shot flawlessly.

You might also consider the Sig Pro SP2022. Polymer frame, Stainless slide. DA/SA & 15 rounds of 9mm or 12 of .40 or .357 sig. They're getting pretty good reviews from the Sig regulars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why double action? I hate double action. </div></div>

Double action isn't so bad if it is double action every time. It's the DA/SA that drives me nuts. Even with a bad double action it's the same every time.
I say go with a Glock. (G-35 inside the waistband!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Kabong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why double action? I hate double action. </div></div>

Double action isn't so bad if it is double action every time. It's the DA/SA that drives me nuts. Even with a bad double action it's the same every time.
I say go with a Glock. (G-35 inside the waistband!) </div></div>

I had a Sig DAK and still hated it.

I think I'd probably get a CZ-75 if I had to have a double action. I wish I'd bought one when they were $250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why double action? I hate double action. </div></div>

+1

Not a big fan of DA only pistols. I prefer DA/SA myself. I got rid of a Glock 19 because I couldn't get use to the trigger and didn't have time to get use to it. But now I have a Glock 33 with a 3.5lb trigger and its great!

I would go with a Sig, they are great guns if you don't mind spending a little bit of money.

The Taurus 24/7 Pro in 40 is very very small had one in stainless and black easy to conceal but unless you use full size 40 mags hard to get a good grip on and I have small hands. Go for XD or Glock always a good choice, but can never beat the 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got a springfeild xd sub compact for my truck gun, would have went with the glock but wanted a stainless slide as i dont plan to clean it much, and they hold 13+1 in 9mm </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Go for XD or Glock always a good choice, but can never beat the 1911 </div></div>

I own several XDs, but they aren't really DA.

The Springfield XD has been classified as a single action system by the ATF.

Here's some great info on why...

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/xddasa.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ultra Safety Assurance (USA-XD): This is a Springfield XD trigger system, which does not fit into the above categories cleanly. Internally, it is classified as a single action. Yet externally, the XD operates very differently than typical pistols in the Single Action category that use short-stroke single action triggers and require a manual safety of some kind (see definition 1). That’s because the XD, just like the Glock, has the look and feel of an excellent, “safe double action trigger system with appropriate built in safeties” for the end user. This system does NOT require a manual safety or decocker.

</div></div>

Either way single or double, I love the XDm and Glock 9mm I have the XD my dad has the Glock, what I love about them is same thing everytime the trigger is pulled.....the gun fires...i know that sounds crazy but if it's a truck gun probably a good idea

Ones I have that I enjoy.. CZ75B, Sig 226, Sig 229.. you can find some great deals on used sigs now.

226 Sig is a excellent choice had one,, gave it to my dad and he traded for a Glock. Excellent and very durable guns

I would go with a dummy gun....I have seen people in a high stress situation forget to take their safety off. get something that you can reach in a hurry, will shoot no matter how dirty it is, and doesn't have a safety. because if you need it it will be a hard enough deal to get it out of your spot in the truck and shoot it. you don't want to mess with a safety. and get it small glock 19,23 or a sig 228 (still kinda big) hk is great to.
I know the 1911 lovers ( I am one ) will say a whole lot of things like practice but my truck gun has to be an everything gun and they get dusty a 1911 is a wet gun.. and the glock holds twice as many rounds.handy if you find your self in a bad place and need to get out of your car.....hope this helps ...and get one that you dont care about truck guns do walk off

"You need to get a 1911."

OK, OK, don't get mad at me.....I was just seeing what it was like to be part of the JMB cut....to answer EVERY handgun thread with "get a 1911."

Honestly...it was LESS fun than I thought it would be.

I'm not a big double action fan but the CZ's and Browning HP's always felt good to me. The only double action I ever owned was a Beretta 84F (single stack .380). It was fun to shoot but expensive to feed. If I'd bought the 87 (.22) I'd still own it.

No love for the HK USPc?
For a truck gun I'd go Sig, look for a CPO.

Or (just for garandman) you could get a Para LDA.

Garandman, you were right "get a double action 1911" as they are another engineering masterpiece.

the only issue I have with the LDA is the the trigger pull is a mile long for every pull, other than that they are great guns. I have tweaked mine to lighten it up but there is little that can be done to shorten the pull as far as I know

I'm going to go out on a limb here, old-school style, and say that there's no such thing as a good double action pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to go out on a limb here, old-school style, and say that there's no such thing as a good double action pistol. </div></div>

Agreed totally. Get a striker fired polymer or a single action.

Double action is a solution to a problem that never existed.

You did not specify, but are you going to leave the gun in the truck as a dedicated truck gun ? I have a large number of handguns manufactured by most of the the major manufactures from 1911's to revolvers. If I were to leave one in the truck 100% of the time, which I would not recommend, it would be a police trade in Glock 19 or 23. They can be had for 350 ish and go bang every time. If stolen, you are not out a $600 + handgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did not specify, but are you going to leave the gun in the truck as a dedicated truck gun?...If stolen, you are not out a $600 + handgun.</div></div>Guys, again, of course you have the right to do whatever you want, but please don't leave the darn things unattended in trucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SIG P250 Compact ? </div></div>
Pleased with mine after 1030 rounds without a single failure to feed, fire, or extract.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster mounted to the back end of my center console with the quick disconnect in case I want to give anyone in the rear seat more knee room.
The weapon is easily accessible from the drivers seat yet remains hidden from view of passers-by.

I do not leave one in my vehicle unoccupied. As I stated in my reply to the original post, I don't recommend it either, just covering the bases in response to the OPs question.

I am a bit old school and would go with either a Ruger Red-Hawk or GP100 in 44 mag or 357. I know that you are looking at a 9 or 40, but this being a "truck" gun, it is not being packed and I would like a bit more poop than my auto-loaders provide. For waht is tis worth, my curent "truck gun" is a Ruger Black-hawk in 44 with a 5-1/2" barel. Just keeping it simple

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a bit old school and would go with either a Ruger Red-Hawk or GP100 in 44 mag or 357. I know that you are looking at a 9 or 40, but this being a "truck" gun, it is not being packed and I would like a bit more poop than my auto-loaders provide. For waht is tis worth, my curent "truck gun" is a Ruger Black-hawk in 44 with a 5-1/2" barel. Just keeping it simple </div></div>

None of those are "pistols." Nice try and thanks for playing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
None of those are "pistols." Nice try and thanks for playing. </div></div>

No Hay Problema, I was raised with the culture that ANY handgun was a pistol only diferentiated by the addition of the adverbs semi-auto or revolving. Just a matter of semantics. Since the clarification is for self loaders, I really like the Sigs even though they are a double/single. Just a personal preference, since I have not had the chance to shoot the Smith M&P or the Springfield XD (yet).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> would have went with the glock but wanted a stainless slide as i dont plan to clean it much,</div></div>

What?

I've had a bit of time behind the FNP-9, and in my opinion, it rocks. DA/SA, great trigger, durable, reliable and LIGHT! I'm also a fan of the hammer drop lever, it sits in a very natural position. It also has good magazine capacity and interchangeable backstraps.

One caveat though:
It comes with three magazines, but I hate the baseplates. They are large, plastic, and don't strip down easily, in my experience at least.

FN offers several different models and finishes, too. Great pistol at a good price, worth checking out IMO.

H&K USP compact....I love my fullsize and the Compact is even more fun to play with.

Para Ordinance LDA and PDA are GTG as well

DAO isn't my first choice,unless its a boot/back up piece.
Traditional DA/SA is my choice.

A slide gun manufactured by S&W for feed/function in 10mmAuto is my carry gun choice.
A Sig 226/229/220 are my second choice of manufacturer.

Any of the combat tupperware pieces(glock/SA-XD/S&W MP) don't fit my mitts & don't hold up in cold -60 deg temps.

Springfield, Kimber, Les Baer, Para, Rock Island, all make very nice SA 1911's with Para offering the Traditional DA in its PDA lineup. Assuming price isnt a factor, I would go with a Kimber or a Les Baer Custom.

LB being exactly that, a custom, can be tailored to anything you want or need, and Kimber just has an outstanding lineup and shoot quite accurate and are user friendly with many options. The ultra carrys are a little harsh when shooting the .45 but the .40 and 9mm kimbers are like .22 with a little more sting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Springfield, Kimber, Les Baer, Para, Rock Island, all make very nice traditional DA/SA 1911's. </div></div>

Traditional DA/SA 1911's, as in first pull of the trigger cocking the hammer and firing, along with the ability to do it again (cycle from a dropped hammer in the case of a misfire)?!?
Sorry, I must have missed the memo......<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Para PDA's teh only one I've heard of that's a DA/SA</span>.

Post edited. Good catch Sobr. I got ahead of myself and wasnt paying attention to my typing. You are correct on the Para's

An LDA is not traditional DA (DA/SA). It is a light double action only design.

If you read my post it says PDA. I removed the LDA for that reason because it is NOT DA and SA

walther p99 is an excellent double action, Manufactured by smith and wesson. Also the XD or XDM and the fnp 9 or 40 is an excellent choice. all three guns are very reliable and easily concealable. You'll have plenty of capacity and nice easy shooters.

All the guns mentioned are good options, but most are similar in size to the 5" 1911 that he said was to big to conceal. That being the case the Glock 26/27 or maybe Kahr CW/PM series or Taurus Millenium might work. Personally I have to old Sigs that I use for vehicle guns, both police trade-ins. One is a 9mm 226 the other a 45 220. Can't hurt them and they go bang every time. I only have about 350.00 in each. Not pretty but will get the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you read my post it says PDA. I removed the LDA for that reason because it is NOT DA and SA </div></div>

I've never heard of the PDA but a quick search of google suggests that your statement is wrong about it, as well:

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=67

I have never seen nor heard of a traditional double action 1911. There are single action and light double action 1911s, and that's it.

The PDA appears to be nothing but a Para LDA pistol with a bobbed hammer for concealed carry.