• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Good Handgun for a Gift? (<$1K)

71firebird400

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My brother will be graduating from college next May and I'd like to get him a handgun for working his ass off and getting an electrical engineering degree in 3 years, graduating at age 20.

He currently has a Taurus PT1911 which he loves, he really likes the 1911's and the 45 ACP in general. I'm trying to keep this under $1000 and have 3 criteria that I want the handgun to meet-

A) It's gotta be cool. I realize this is entirely subjective.
B) It's gotta work, and well. I don't want to curse him with a jamming POS.
C) I want it to be something that will last 20 years and still be respected 20 years down the road. I don't want some 'flavor of the week', I want something that will stand the test of time.

I've tossed around a bunch of ideas in my head, he's pretty open to any handgun and isn't very picky. I thought about a stainless S&W 686 in 357 mag, or a Sig P220. I've also thought about a Glock 30 as it would shoot the 45 he already has ammo for, but be different enough from his 1911 to keep it interesting. Also, a 44 mag (S&W 629) isn't out of the question either. What I'm getting at is this doesn't need to be the world's most practical gun or something he can use as a CCW but more of something that is enjoyable to shoot and that he will have fun with.

I'd love to hear your suggestions as I really haven't come across anything yet that has felt right.

Thanks

Re: Good Handgun for a Gift? (<$1K)

How about a Smith & Wesson 625... It's a nice wheel gun and shoots 45 ACP just like his PT1911... Also congratulations to your brother are in order... I'm currently an EE student and graduating at 20 (my age) is impressive to say the VERY least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a Smith & Wesson 625... It's a nice wheel gun and shoots 45 ACP just like his PT1911... Also congratulations to your brother are in order... I'm currently an EE student and graduating at 20 (my age) is impressive to say the VERY least. </div></div>

That's not a bad idea, I'll take a look into it. As a fellow EE, hang in there
wink.gif
The paycheck's worth it! haha, only a couple more years and I'll have my PE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voluntold</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M&P45 </div></div>

I'm sure the M&P is a great pistol, but it just doesn't really meet my criteria. With all the "Glock Clones" out there right now I think I'd rather stick to something a little more classic so that in 15-20 years it will be somewhat distinguishable. If I were to do a polymer pistol it would probably a G30 to complement his 1911 or get him a G20/29 since I'm constantly trying to convince him 10mm is the way to go
grin.gif
Thanks though, all suggestions are appreciated.

Take a look at the G 36 slim line, or find him an old Colt series 70 that he can build on over time to what he likes. I have a pair of Colts, series 70 Combat Commander, and Combat Government and while I was in college I would buy a part here and there and when I got them how I wanted them I sent them both to Novaks and had them build my matched pair. Beautiful guns.

are you set on a mini glock .45 how bout a G21. if it were me i would get him a special 1911 maybe a springfield engraved or cerakoted or something cool. if he enjoys the 1911 get him a double stacked one. like the para. i know you can get those cerakoted. i know you mentioned the polymer clones, but the xdm 45 or just a fullsixe xd .45.

G36 with night sights. (a) I don't know if you (or he) will think it's cool. (b) It will function every time. (c) Glock is respected now, just like 20 years ago (or a little more because of a track record of success).

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd really like to do a "nice" 1911, but with my budget that's a difficult thing to achieve. I've got some friends that shoot BullsEye and they're always cycling through 1911's so I'll see what they say
smile.gif

G36 was one of my first considerations, but I read online that they're not as reliable as the G30- is that a load of BS? Gotta be careful what you read online these days...

If I were to go with a fullsize 45, I think I'd lean more towards a Sig P220 or HK USP. Nothing against the Glock (Glock's are my personal favorites) but I want this to be something a little more out of the ordinary.

I'll keep my eyes open for something, and am not opposed to buying used if it's the right gun. The more I think about it, I may go with a S&W 629 as I know he'll love the 44 mag.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The Sig P220 is an all around excellent pistol. They are accurate, 100% reliable, they'll last damn near forever if you take proper care of them, and they have more than a few models, including some of their higher end offerings which bring the "cool" factor up slightly in comparison with a stock P220R or basic model. They have also been around for a good long time and have plenty of support from both the factory and aftermarket, so your 20yr requirement should easily be satisfied.

I would personally look at the following and see if any of them strike your fancy (ignore the MSRPs from Sig...each of these can be had NIB for the $1k mark or lower):

P220 Elite

P220 Elite Dark

P220 Equinox

and...if you are a careful shopper and you do some price hunting:

P220 Super Match

The other option to consider is just a basic P220 and then get him a .22LR conversion kit (they run around $250-300) so that he can plink/train and have a nice .45acp as well.

I would add a vote for the Sig P220

I have a Sig P220 Combat. It is Sweet! If you could get the P220 Combat with the Trigger from the Elite Dark then that would be a sweet pistol.

I have both a P220 and a Springfield Armory "Loaded" 1911. Both have been 100% realiable.

+1 for hk, i forgot to mention that i forgot too. i have a usp in .40 cal. and love it. you could get him a new one with night sights for under budget. for super tacticool get him the tactical model with raised adj sights and threaded barrel.

I was also thinking a Sig P220 Elite with wood grips would make a col gift. Something that will be likely to hold its cool factor for the next 50 years...

+1 for a Colt series 70, it will hold it's value because of the pony. You should be able to find one for under 1k.

you might think about what guns your friends /family have had that they still have and enjoy after a # of years . it is usualy a gun that is well made and has some" good lines " if you will . i think your on the right track with a s,w wheel gun . 44 , 357 or 22

I really like the 686's. A nice wheelgun will go great with a nice 1911. And they are bomb proof, will deffinately last a lifetime. I just picked up a 686+ 3" which is the 7rd version and it is my go to when I head for the woods.

Or something that you didn't mention, but I would recommend would be a S&W 41. Everyone should have a accurate 22 pistol and the 41 is a timeless piece.

I vote on a Glock in a different caliber than he already has, and probably a full size too. It's well known that if any gun will hold up to 20 years of abuse, it'd be a Glock. You can safe some money on the purchase and get him either a light or a boatload of ammo (probably with the savings you could get him both).

Since it will be used for 'joy shooting' then wouldn't you be doing your bro a favor by getting him a .22lr like the mosquito or any other for that matter. It will be cheap on his pocket book and not nearly as punishing as the .44 mag you had suggested.

SS

Your giving a handgun to someone under 21..? hmmm?
wink.gif

But that aside.. a glock will not last in it's entirety for 20yrs the frame being made of plastic will require replacement before then along with some other components(i'm a avid glock owner but it's a reality), but honestly have you looked into the px4 storm it may be the flavor of the week but us mil folks will be getting small batches over the next year or so and having shot one I'm really impressed. It's seems so ahead of it's time in recoil management i'd buy one if i can ever find a place where i don't have to wait on a long list to get one.

And it's sub 1k..

Do you want personal experience or scientific proof? Because scientist I am not..

My personal experience: Myself i've dropped my 23 without a magazine and have broken the back palm swell from a distance of 3feet that's here in az in rocky dry terrain.

You can contact Glockmeister here in Tempe and ask how many frames they replace on glocks if you want evidence of more than one occurrence..

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I really appreciate them- you've all brought up some particular pistols that I had not even thought of which was exactly the point of this thread.

Right now I'm (still) leaning towards a revolver (either 357 or 44), another 1911, or that Sig. The 22's are great suggestions, but knowing my brother it will not hold his interest the way a centerfire pistol will. I have a couple months to figure it out and look for a good deal along the way.

RemiG- He's in South Dakota....just have to be 18 to own a handgun
smile.gif

I would buy him a Ruger mark III/II and get an aftermarket pac-lite barrel from Tac-sol...threaded. Put a burris fastfire on it. You'll spend just under $1000 and he will have the perfect .22 pistol for carrying in the woods or whatever. Light, accurate...would last him a lifetime and he could suppress it later if he gets into that kind of thing. Its cool set up as above...it runs...its a timeless .22 autoloader and very versatile.

A nice 357 wheel gun is a beautiful thing. I'd go with either the revolver or a G30. The Glock's a great gun for the money, plus you're well under budget and get him a couple mags and a holster as well.

Glock 17, 9mm is cheaper than anything else. And plentiful. It's not finicky when it comes to different loads, It always shoots, it's accurate, it's cheap. You can get the gun and put Dawson Precision adj sights on it for under 650-700$ Just a good deal all around.

Try to find a Colt Python 357 Magnum. They're not in production anymore, and forever will be a 10 out of 10 in the cool factor catagory.

Hey everyone-

Talked to him tonight and snuck in some loaded questions to see what he thought (don't worry, he didn't catch on
wink.gif
) Sounds like he'd be in favor of a revolver, either a 44 or 357. He's impartial to brand name but I did get out of him that he prefers a 'longer' barrel (I'm guessing 6").

So now the hunt begins! I personally like Ruger revolvers (GP100's) but I think for this I'll really try to find a good Python like MrLowandSlow suggested or a really nice used Smith (I do NOT want the keylock model, I'm afraid the lock will eventually go away and that the one's with the locks will have a negative stigma associated with them.....kind of like a 'post-ban' AR-15 does today).

Thanks again for all your suggestions, you can be assured I read each and every one of them and googled them all. There was a lot of great pistols thrown out there, thanks for helping.

Mark

I know plenty that "aren't into revolvers" until they get one! I agree that a Smith 686 or something similar would be a NICE gift that WOULD stand the test of time and be handed down. He can shoot .38Spl for lower cost and recoil. I'd go with the 4-5" barrel. They look SWEET! There's also alot you can do to the triggers to make them run really smooth. Disassembly and maintenence on a revolver is pretty easy once you get the internal springs down and how to take out parts properly.

My second vote would be a standard 1911. Have you checked out the Springfield Range Officer? It's a new model with match bushing and custom fitted slide. Match quality but without some of the extras (as the site advertises). I haven't seen the gun personally but Springfield is a well known and trusted MFG and there are a ton of options for the 1911. He can make either of these 2 guns "his own" and function for both target and carry (depending on clothing choice).

I got my first handgun at 20 as well...here in NM, you just have to be 18 to own, but 21 to buy/carry. It was a Sig P226 in 9mm. Great gun for the money.

Good luck and great choice of a gift!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey everyone-

Talked to him tonight and snuck in some loaded questions to see what he thought (don't worry, he didn't catch on
wink.gif
) Sounds like he'd be in favor of a revolver, either a 44 or 357. He's impartial to brand name but I did get out of him that he prefers a 'longer' barrel (I'm guessing 6").

So now the hunt begins! I personally like Ruger revolvers (GP100's) but I think for this I'll really try to find a good Python like MrLowandSlow suggested or a really nice used Smith (I do NOT want the keylock model, I'm afraid the lock will eventually go away and that the one's with the locks will have a negative stigma associated with them.....kind of like a 'post-ban' AR-15 does today).

Thanks again for all your suggestions, you can be assured I read each and every one of them and googled them all. There was a lot of great pistols thrown out there, thanks for helping.

Mark </div></div>
Even if you buy a key locked model you can buy a plug for the frame and take out the mechanism. But smith is offering more models with out that feature. Might look at the performance center models if you can't find a python.

Sorry maybe not as cool, but I shot an XD Tactical (5" barrel) and an XDm (4.5" barrel) both in .45 ACP. Without a doubt, two of the best shooting guns I have ever had the pleasure of taking for a ride. I am going to purchase a used one on Friday, although a full size pistol, I may make it my carry gun, at least during the winter.

If you want to get him a practical Cadillac handgun for @ budget your talking about - get an S&W Scandium J-Frame in .38; replace the front sight with a Big Dot Tritium, and put a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on it. He will have it forever. While J-Frames are specialty carry guns - everyone needs one, esp for NPE.

Good luck

As far as revolvers go I am partial to single action, I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and love it. And for under $700 you can get the convertable 45 Colt/ 45 ACP or 357/9mm.

If your brother handloads or starts to someday the Ruger can fire some pretty hot 45 Colt loads.

You probaly can't go wrong with some old milsurp like a P-38 or 455 Webley either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a glock will not last in it's entirety for 20yrs the frame being made of plastic will require replacement before then along with some other components(i'm a avid glock owner but it's a reality)

</div></div>

Do you have some evidence to back up your statement? </div></div>

Ditto,

Not to hijack this thread, but, really?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a Smith & Wesson 625... It's a nice wheel gun and shoots 45 ACP just like his PT1911... Also congratulations to your brother are in order... I'm currently an EE student and graduating at 20 (my age) is impressive to say the VERY least. </div></div>

Amen.

Also look at one in 45 Colt (Mountain Gun).

Super Sweet with cowboy loads and can be loaded pretty hot for hunting.

BMT

My vote is to head over to the Smith & Wesson Forum and try to find an older model 686 or a nice N frame, like a model 29 or 629 in .44 Magnum.

Be sure to get one that is pre-MIM parts and pre-internal lock.

For well under $1,000 you will have a gun that will last forever and become a family heirloom.