• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good headlight

Re: Good headlight

What are you looking for in the headlamp? I've used the Petzl Myo 5 for a few years with great results. LED for light savings and the full xenon for long range. Myo 3 that my father has is pretty good as well, just can't adjust the LED power to 3 different settings.
Need to know more before telling you what you should maybe look for.
Chad

I had a cheap and expensive Petzl in the past. I bought one of the first generation high output LED inserts that was several hundred dollars. The battery life was poor, which kind of defeats the purpose of a headlight. (discovered that caving - not a good place to be without a light) I would recommend a lower output headlight (cheaper) and a surefire for blinding light when one needs it. On the brightest setting, it only has a 1.5 hour duration, and my experience is that that might be optimistic if the temp is low.

Basic Petzl Tikka for $28 at Campmor has served me well in almost every lights out situation... we have half a dozen of them in my house.

Streamlight LED models work great for me for work and nav when hunting at night. Battery life is great, and 3 setting LED is handy. Now if they could just figure out a way to keep the bugs from porch-lighting your face when you're out at night!
smile.gif

I'm looking forward to trying the new Surefire headlamp - should be very nice.

I like the Petzl TactTikka...the one with the flip down red lens. I've used them for years, they are both reliable and durable.

I have been shopping around this weekend for a headlamp as well. The Petzl Tactikka seems to offer a good balance of brightness, variable light output & battery life. One downside I saw is it does not seem to cast light out as far as some other higher power units. We really need to know what applications you are looking for in order to help narrow it down.

I am looking to get the Tactikka XP Adapt set up, http://www.rei.com/product/737855.

It comes with helmet, MOLLE/Belt and head mounting options. Plus all the usual colored filters that the Tactikka XP has. No camo colors from what I have found, but there are ways around that.

Get the Tac-Tikka or the regular. Both are great, I have used mine in ever temperature, including well well below zero.

+1 on the TikkaTac XP

I used a Myo 5 for few years but found it too bulky. I have now changed to a Tikka XP (light weight and good output)
My wife uses a Tikka Plus - also a good product

7609-1.jpg

Tikka XP

As has been mentioned previously, it really depends what you need the headlamp to do.

Task lighting, caving, climbing, SAR...

Each one has very different requirements in lighting and longevity.

Be more specific and you'll get better answers. There's a reason there are so many lamps on the market.

Thanks for the replies, what I would be using the light for is surveying what is going on on my property at night, and for
illuminating bolt and weld points on the job that I have to inspect inside buildings from a distance with binoculars. Also, for some hog hunting at night and general use. I just prefer a super bright light when needed, the ultra does have 3 settings, a maximum, optimum, and economic. The battery life for those settings are 3 hrs 15 mins, 9 hrs 30 mins, and 34 hrs, with the accu. #4. Accu. #2 is 1 hr 30 mins, 4 hrs 45 mins, and 16 hrs 45 mins. The downside of this light is the battery life and it's only water resistant and not waterproof, as well as the cost. I did look at the Tactikka/sp. I did like that light, but read some bad revues about the position adjustment limits and filtered light being not bright enough to be much use.

Thank again,
Terry

Look for info on the Surefire Saint and Saint Minimus headlamps. With any luck they will be available in the near future. These will be variable output from 1 to 100 lumens with a 135 degree beamshape(the same as your natuaral f.o.v.).

The SureFire Minimus we are hoping to start shipping end of August the Saint we are looking to start shipping end of October.

Chuck

That was the story last year at at O.R. on the Saint though chucky. Then it was Christmas, then Q2 and now the Minimus is supposed to come out before the Saint.....It will be the finest headlamp none the less when it come out, it's just taking too long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Petzl TactTikka...the one with the flip down red lens. I've used them for years, they are both reliable and durable. </div></div>

+1

I been using a Brunton L3 for about 5 years.
It is bulky, but awesome.
You can run a remote C battery pack for EXTENDED use on high output.
link

$440 for a headlamp.....wow. Here's what I use:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1x...catalogId=10053

$14 It has worked great for hunting, camping, running in the morning. At $14 it is no problem for every member of the party to have their own headlamp with one or two as spares. Many of the things that shooters use can be found at Home Depot at better prices. I have been running early morning with one for over 3 weeks now and the battery is still going strong. Some of those fancy schmachy lights drain a battery mighty fast.