• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing good idea or not?

Blackhawk95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2008
Mississippi
I bought a Win M70 in .223wssm from bass pro when they had them on close out for $250.00. Anyway Id like to do something with it.

Ive thought about a 7mm Rsaum as the case will eject nicely. would it be a bad idea to build that caliber on that action with a 28" barrel and muzzle brake?

and, if so any ideas what other rounds i could use it for? Id also thought about 6.5 wssm?

Thanks
Jerid

Re: good idea or not?

If its one of the original rifles built by Winchester, I would put it in a safe and sell it in about twenty years. I have heard that Winchester is no longer. They got bought out by Browning, so real Winchesters will eventually be priceless.

The bolt does work. unless theres something im not seeing.

As to the 6.5wsm Ive allready got a 6.5-284, I had thought about 6.5 wssm

What im really wanting to know is that too much caliber and too much barrel for that action? I allready know it will be a single feed.

Your bolt will work fine for anything you build using a Mag BF. Cartridges that are longer will have to be loaded and unloaded one at a time. This has worked for Remington 40X rifles chambered in the longer cartridges for years.

OK, thats what I wanted to know. basically it would be a WSSM action shooting the RSAUM. Like I said it will eject fine.

Anybody have any comments about a 28" barrel and brake hangin off that action?

Thanks again,

Jerid

Should be fine in tha right stock.....contriversal I know but just bed the first 2-4" of barrel????

The M70 has been built for heavy barreled LR before...my buddy has a 243 Win and a 30-06 and they both ragg the holes with 5 shots at 200 yards.

I thought i would put it in a Manners GAT stock. Ive got a M70 long action in a T4 with a 28' plus brake right now, and its doing fine.

thanks

Jerid