• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good long action semi-auto?

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I've got a friend looking to build a "long range" semi auto. He's convinced the AR-10 platform is the way to go, but I'm not convinced and I think there are probably better options out there that would be more suitable for 1000-1200 yd ranges.

I'd think an action like maybe the Browning BAR or <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Rem 1100</span> Rem 7400 (now 750) would be better since you can get them in 300wm type lengths, whereas afaik AR10's are limited to 308 type cartridges.

Any ideas?

Re: Good long action semi-auto?

Umm. . . isn't the Rem 1100 a shotgun?

Also, I think the inherent accuracy of the large-frame AR would outweigh any benefits that the larger rounds would offer in the BAR platform.

Of course I don't know any of this for sure (except the shotgun thing, that I'm pretty sure about)

The best "long action semi-auto" is the Springfield M1-A1 "National Match", "Super Match" or "White Feather" as far as I am concerned. There are other custom built M1-A1's that will meet your criteria. In head to head competition the short action 308 in the AR-10 and it's many versions and many companies (Knight Armament, POF, Armalight,GAP,etc,etc,)will perform as well and I would say better in the right hands but the right weapon in the right hands will determine that.
........Hope this helps.......SmokeRolls

Next question is this. How much money are you willing to spend to build or buy that 1000-1200 yard semi auto? That is going to determine alot. We can probably find you a nice H&K PSG1 for about $12,500-$14,500...... It will fit the bill without having to modify it at all....The scope is an extra $1,500-$3,500 depending on your taste.....
......................SmokeRolls

I'm not planning to buy one, I prefer bolt guns past 600 yds.

But he is convinced that a semi would be worthwhile for longrange and is looking hard at the ar-10s. They tend to cost around $1,500 or so for the bare bones rifle from what I've seen so I guess it would be reasonable to stay in the same ballpark.

TheSmokeRolls: Aren't the M1A's a short action rifle? AFAIK they only handle 7.62x51

Yeah M1A's are only short action. Accurate magnum semi's are few and far between. I've heard a few good things about RND. You can search here for a couple threads about them. But again, few and far between.

Does your friend already shoot out to 1K? What does he want to do at these extended ranges? Remember High Power shooters can take .223 out to 1k.

I have a lr-308 in 300wsm that Accuracy Systems out of Byers, Colorado built for me. I have never shot it out to 1k. I have heard that some people are having success with the high bc bullets in 7mm wsm, that still fit the ar-10/lr-308 mag length, to get out to that range.
Accuracy systems build ar-10's or Lr-308's in that caliber.

A lot of people told me to build one in 260 remington instead of 308, that might be an idea. Also like the above guy said maybe a short action magnum. There are companies that make 338 lapua semi autos but they are not cheap. I always thought one in 300 win mag would be fun but I look to be in the minority there as nobody makes one that I know of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best " <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> long</span> action semi-auto" is the Springfield M1-A1 "National Match", "Super Match" or "White Feather" as far as I am concerned. There are other custom built M1-A1's that will meet your criteria. In head to head competition the short action 308 in the AR-10 and it's many versions and many companies (Knight Armament, POF, Armalight,GAP,etc,etc,)will perform as well and I would say better in the right hands but the right weapon in the right hands will determine that.
........Hope this helps.......SmokeRolls</div></div>\
I goofed on my own post.....I said M1-A1's were a long action semi-auto and I don't know why I said that. I guess I was having a senior moment since the M1-A1/M-14 is the child of a Garand styled action which was a 30-06.....My bad. Brain Fart!
...................SmokeRolls

I had some reservations about the R750 until my copy of <span style="font-style: italic">Gun tests</span> with the relevent comparison came in, and it won the contest. The comment was that there were bugs in prior models but that Remingtion had finally cleaned up their act with this one.

In .30-'06, it's capable of a lot of what you're looking for, and although they would appear to be flatly unlocatable, the rumor continues to circulate that 10rd DM boxes were/are available, somewhere...

Greg

What about something with a high BC in the 6-6.5mm range?