• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Match Ammo for 1,000+ Yds

brian47374

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2019
Alright, I had a friend verbally introduce me to Prime ammo. However, I see that for 6.5cm they only have 130 gr. I am concerned that when shooting 1,000+ yds that the wind will have a severe effect on the bullet. My goal is to have the best round for an average of 1,000-1,200 yds. Not to mention, be able to reach out to a mile. I have been shooting Hornady 140 ELD Match and they shoot great out of my gun. I missed a mile shot by 3” at a 12”x12” target using Kentucky windage because I don’t have a 30 MOA base on my gun yet.

Honestly, I am almost afraid to try something else because the Hornady shoots so well and my SD’s are about 15 fps. However, I am not opposed to trying something out if it is consistent and the SD’s are as low as what I am getting (or close). I am shooting out of a 22” barrel getting about 2680 fps in my gas gun. Now, I have some FGMM that I need to try out. I’ve had good luck with Federal out of my .308 and so has my son. I don’t see much about them in any discussion forum for the 6.5cm. Are they that bad? Lol

In addition, I have been pondering Berger rounds. But I’ve heard that unless you are going past 1,000 yds you probably won’t notice much (if any) difference. What I am interested in are the 140 gr Hybrid target rounds. Are they good and worth the money?

Maybe the question I should be asking is, what ammo have you shot that you have found that is good for 1,000+ yds out to a mile? The mile is just something I want to toy with hitting. Lol. My main goal is to get the best ammo for matches out to 1,200 yds. Is the ideal round less weight like a 130 gr and faster velocity. Or, is it a heavier grain with lower velocity?

Right now, I don’t have time to hand load. Hopefully I can do that some time next year.

Our local matches go out to 1100. For a Gas Gun I like running 140 class bullets. They seem to be the happy medium of low enough pressure to have a wide operating window and enough velocity that they stay supersonic to around 1200. The Prime 130, while remarkably consistent, ran with too much pressure especially in the Texas summer. I shot Hornady 140's all this year and liked them more than the 147's and 143's. A friend shoots exclusively Berger 140's in his gas guns and does well with those so I'll be trying out the Federal 140 Berger load over the off season.

Reactions: brian47374
I will say, the factory Berger 140’s run faster than the factory Hornady 140 eldm. If you’re getting 2680 out of the Hornady, I imagine you get ~2760 out of the Berger ammo 140’s. That will definitely help when making those longer pokes. The furthest I can conveniently shoot is 1380, and it doesn’t seem to be a problem. 1000 has been child’s play.

I'd say go out and shoot the 130 primes, all I ran before I started reloading and they're hammers out to distance and may surprise you, had a guy shooting 105 hybrids out to 1100 out of a 6BR last weekend match.

I'm from Texas and shoot at the same range mentioned above and never had any pressure issues with the Prime 130s, liked them waay better than 140 ELDS.

Where r u located? You could always try a few rounds from someone else. If you were near ohio I have 12 cases of new and old 6.5 from them. And I'll be in portland on friday if that helps.

1 box will tell you velocity and accuracy

Where r u located? You could always try a few rounds from someone else. If you were near ohio I have 12 cases of new and old 6.5 from them. And I'll be in portland on friday if that helps.

1 box will tell you velocity and accuracy
I'm in Indiana. After more input, I will probably buy some different ones to test out. I just don't want to buy some that are duds. lol

130’s are decent in the wind.
I got a friend new to long range shooting to get hits a bit past a mile with Hornandy 140 and 147 ammo.