• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Good Mid-range Bino's for Hunting...

cmcconn007

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
I want to get a decent pair of mid-priced binoculars to use to glass for hogs and deer. Durability and good optics are a priority. Generally both of these critters bed down in the daytime so good low light performance is a plus. I don't have a set price in mind, I know the cheap stuff they sell at Big 5 sucks, and I can't afford high end German stuff costing in the thousands either. A couple hundred bucks would be fine. I will be hoofing it over all kinds of terrain so nothing heavy or huge. Please recommend specific bino's make, model, power, etc.

Thanks!

Re: Good Mid-range Bino's for Hunting...

I just picked up a pair of the Vortex Fury binos. The 10x42 is awsome, and only ran me $300 + tax. The glass is very bright, and clear.

Cabelas XTs are great! Its what I have. Price is good. Glass is good quality from japan. Great warranty. Compared them to the nikons but a little better at low light.

Vortex Viper 10x42...
Call Scott at Liberty Optics.

Great glass and very bright, nice size and fairly light. My wife and I pack a pair everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper 10x42...
Call Scott at Liberty Optics.

Great glass and very bright, nice size and fairly light. My wife and I pack a pair everywhere.
</div></div>

+1

8X42mm Viper here, glass was every bit as good as my 8x30 swarovskis but with better eye relief and light transmition, because of the extra 12mm of the objective I am sure. I bought them from carmerland and they took care of me too.

The Nikon ATB 8x42 are probably the best value out there: glass as good as 600-800 binos, but only costs $250. Plenty of reviews have found these binos to be exceptional values.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Nikon ATB 8x42 are probably the best value out there: glass as good as 600-800 binos, but only costs $250. </div></div>

Sorry, I disagree, these 100% made in China binos don't even hold a candle to the Vortex Viper, and the glass is not very good at all.

Scott

+1 for 8x42 Vortex Viper. Love mine, tremendous value!

Leupold Cascades 10x42 mm are some pretty good glass for $259 - $299. They perform quite well in low light. You're not gonna find much better for that price.

Another vote for the 8x42 Vortex Viper binos!! For the money, you won't find a similar quality set of binos. Great clarity, seem very well built/rugged (I have not put mine through any heavy service, but I don't doubt their value), and a good all-around pair of binos.

I'm in a similar situation. The reviews and research I've done have led me away from the 10 power and toward the 8 power for my area. Unless you're in really wide open country, it looks like the 8 power will be easier on the eyes. I'll be interested in what you decide. I've looked pretty hard at the Vortex's. Keep us posted on what you find and how you like them.

Chilo,

I use mine for deer hunting. I've only used them for one season, but they are definitely not overpowered for the moderately thick woods that I hunt in. (although I typically like to face an open area/field when I hunt.) They are great for when I need to look at deer a couple hundred yards away though. If I were you, I'd find a buddy or two that have both the 8 and 10 power and go to where you hunt and see which works best for you.

How would the Vortex Viper rate versus the Alpen Rainiers. I have a pair of the Alpen and LOVE them. One downside, they are heavy, but the glass is amazing. Almost every review rates them in the Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski range...and I agree (minus the weigth), I've compared them side by side. How do those Vipers compare in quality to Zeiss, Leica etc.

oh this is a easy one, MINOX HG from Camerlandny.com

I have a Minox 10x42 BL from Scott/LO that I am real happy with. I see they are no longer listed on the website.

I am also curious on how these compare to the Vortex at simular price points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Nikon ATB 8x42 are probably the best value out there: glass as good as 600-800 binos, but only costs $250. </div></div>

Sorry, I disagree, these 100% made in China binos don't even hold a candle to the Vortex Viper, and the glass is not very good at all.

Scott </div></div>

Hmm, well I never said anything about the Vortex since I haven't seen it. Here is an unbiased review that found the Nikons to be excellent: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

and the China comments hold absolutely no water with me. I'm looking for the best combination of price and value. I'd like to buy an American product, but I am not going to buy inferior products just because they are "made in the USA" Heck, when you dig into many so-called American products, you find they are filled with foreign components.

Check out the Pentax 9x28 DCF LV. The reviews and awards are pretty good. A smaller set yes but that can be a good thing...~$180

Also the Canon Stabilized 10x30 are on sale at a couple of different places. Heavier than some though the optics are outstanding...~$360

Thanks for all the great feedback! Keep it coming, definitely a few bino's I will be checking out.

There are many excellent options available these days:

Minox BD 10x42 BR ASPH @ $299.99

Minox BV 8x42 BR Arctic Hunter @ $149.99

Demo Nikon 10x42 Monarch ATB Camo's for $199.99

Demo Zen-Ray Zen ED 8x43 @ $294.99

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP's @ $349.99

or the Vortex Viper 8x42's all are great glass costing well below the "Alpha Euros" while still giving great optical quality and construction.
Best thing is if you have a few minutes feel free to give a call to discuss what would best suit your needs.

Pentax DCF ED 8x43s run around $900 (These are the ED versions). I have a pair and they have excellent glass and have really taken a lot of abuse in wet, hot and cold weather. I felt the view was much better than the lower priced versions and virtually indistinguishable from very high priced European binos. Pentax's warranty is also lifetime if you ever need it.

Steiner, 8x30 or 8x40 are great (i like the focus once, one handed use)

SWFA samples list usually has a bunch

the nikon monarch binoculars with dielectric coatings are a great value and give great performance.

Swarovski 15x56's. Honestly I would go with 8 or 10x42 Vortex. I have heard really good things about them. The 15x56 Vortex measure up to the Swarovski from what I have been told....

If you are going to be sitting down and glassing for hours and hours. Spend the money and buy good glass. It will literly save you a headache. I have look though Swarovski 15x56's and 10x42's ALL day. You don't get tunnel vision or have a headache from the blurry glass.

Hope this helped

Rhett

Steiner 7x50mm with autofocus.
They can be used in low light conditions with ease!
I have a pair of Leica Geovids 8x42mm, and the Steiners beat them hands down in low light conditions.
I know there are other great binos out there, but this is what I grab when I go to the field.

One of the big questions is where are you located. This brings up a couple of points. If you are in the West the nature of the terrain will advantage specific magnification ranges. That being said bigger glass comes with some downsides where you might need to consider support if you are going to be doing extended glass time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Nikon ATB 8x42 are probably the best value out there: glass as good as 600-800 binos, but only costs $250. </div></div>

Scott </div></div>

Hmm, well I never said anything about the Vortex since I haven't seen it. Here is an unbiased review that found the Nikons to be excellent: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

and the China comments hold absolutely no water with me. I'm looking for the best combination of price and value. I'd like to buy an American product, but I am not going to buy inferior products just because they are "made in the USA" Heck, when you dig into many so-called American products, you find they are filled with foreign components. </div></div>

My review is unbiased too, and I've compared these two binos directly side by side and it is NO contest.

That review is from 2005. A lot has changed since then. The Monarch ATBs went cheap. I'm current, it's my job.

I didn't say you need to buy American, as American made binos do not exist. I just think that the Chinese-made product is on the lowest rung of the QC ladder.

Zen-Rays are Chinese made and the ED models are exceptional optics, but for long term viability, optic to optic, I'd prefer a Japanese or German made set.

YMMV

Scott

i really like the ranging focus feature that Minox HG have. Do any other reasonably priced binos do that?

Don't forget we have some Kowa demo binos, 100% made in Japan for sale, very good quality at a fair price.

Genesis XD 8.5x44 $979

Genesis XD 10.5x44 $1089

Genesis XD 10x33 $919

BD42 Green 8x42 $429

BD42 Green 10x42 $439

BD32 Green 8x32 $349

BD32 Green 10x32 $369

BD25 Green 10x25 $229