• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Good Rifle Rests

Blueknight99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2019
Looking for a good front rifle rest. Something like the Bald Eagle but I guess they are not made anymore. The Caldwell Rock BR is not the same quality and don’t like it.

For the rear rest I use a Protector Rear Bag.

You mean those?....seems they are still for sale.

I was going to mention a Sinclair...but you probably don't want to spend THAT much.

Reactions: spife7980
Doing the same research. Is the calwell br that bad? I was just watching some videos from Red Rock Precision on YouTube like this one

He used Calwell, multiple ones in multiple videos. Seems to be good enough for me. I am not competing, just trying to find one to do load dev, group shooting and long range shooting.

How is the Bold Eagle? You can find them from grizzly website above or even Amazon .

I have a few friends who have the Caldwell, and they are not durable and not easy to adjust precisely. Always something comes loose, and the adjustments don't hold. Also, several parts like the screws, front rest pad etc, all have to be replaced. End of the day it adds up.

Reactions: ironsight1000yard
Dont mind spending on a quality rest. I had not known about the Sinclair, started doing some research and the Sinclair Varmint Heavy seems to be good but "heavy" :)

A couple guys at the local shoots have the neo and if I remember correctly between $1400 - 2k depending on options and could wait a year to get it.

Yeah too much money for a front rest at $1400 (for the SEN Neo) unless you a pro competition shooter. I guess I’d rather stick to Sinclair.

Dont mind spending on a quality rest. I had not known about the Sinclair, started doing some research and the Sinclair Varmint Heavy seems to be good but "heavy" :)

Sinclair makes a couple different versions, an even heavier competition rest, and a lighter varmint rest. Being heavy is helpful to keep your rifle more stable and to keep it returning to the same spot for follow up shots. Add one of their Forend Benchrest Adapters for a really solid setup.

How about a bipod? You can pick up a Harris for pretty cheap and throw a pic mount on it and you'd be far less in the hole than buying a rest?

Just food for thought.

I don't lift weights as much as I used to but I use my Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest more than I need to.
Dual use lugging that heavy bastard around you get to due some informal weight lifting ???

The Grizzly Bald Eagle is a solid cost effective solution. You’ll need a good rear bag.

Will check all the of the recommendations out and get thr cheapest best one of them

- SEB mini
- Sinclair varmint Heavy
- Grizzly Bald Eagle

Thanks for the recommendations folks!

How about a bipod? You can pick up a Harris for pretty cheap and throw a pic mount on it and you'd be far less in the hole than buying a rest?

Just food for thought.

Don't want a bi-pod for my hunting rifle, as I don't want anything attached to it. Will be climbing tress, mountain hunting with it, either supported via sling pull, resting on the rails, etc. So, no place for a bi-pod for my lightweight hunting rifle atleast.

Also, a shooting rest is versatile since I have use to rest and shoot and also zero my other rifles as well. Like the concept of Caldwell and the price (around $135), but the quality is cheap and adjustments not so good.

Next best/cheapest is Bald Eagle, which is not made anymore. Going up would be Sinclair and SEB.

Also at grizzly who is shiraz or whatever his name is that own all that but he’s got them marked as closeouts mostly.

I have the Caldwell Rock BR and have used it for a year It's a "club level" rest and I'm not entirely happy with it. It's a huge step up from the Rock Jr. I had before, but there's a lot of lash in the various adjustments. Yes, it has similar features to fancy rests so it checks the boxes, but it's everything a Chicom copy is expected to be. It also seems to be a bit higher profile (taller) than other rests, but maybe that's my imagination. I got a good deal on mine. At full price, the Bald Eagle is a better option than the Rock BR.

The top shooters at my club have what appear to be SEB rests. Lots of Bald Eagle rests are at the matches too and guys seem happy with them.

I'll have to start saving my shekels for a Sinclair Benchrest Competition rest.

I don't believe Bald Eagle stopped producing or supporting anything. If I'm not mistaken I think what your seeing is the result of Shiraz (owner of several web stores) going into semi-retirement. Hence all the clearance and close out sales at March, Bullets and now Grizzly. I'm sure most brands will find new distributors eventually.

To me the 'Bald Eagle Sling shot' is a very nice entry level rest at a great price. There really isn't much else comparable till you hit the Sinclair units, imo. Most F-class guys find the extra weight of the cast iron to be preferable to the aluminum, but your preferences may very. Just be aware you'll want to add a front bag either way.

Later if you decide later on you can always replace the top with one from shade tree ($350ish). Which gives you a package a lot closer to the far more expensive Farley and SEB rests than most would like to admit.

I have read guys modify the cable windage adjustment on the Bald Eagle.
Will it be on left side after the mod? The cable adjustment going on the right side.

I have read guys modify the cable windage adjustment on the Bald Eagle.
Will it be on left side after the mod? The cable adjustment going on the right side.

I would venture to guess like most they're still using the same right side adjustment hole and simply turning the top around to get the windage adjustment on the left, but can't say for certain without knowing which of the many mods you're referring to...

I was referring to the windage mod specifically. Like in this thread

I am not registered on that forum so can not see the full images but looks like the modified windage knob is on the right.

My short list is down to these 3 too.

I would venture to guess like most they're still using the same right side adjustment hole and simply turning the top around to get the windage adjustment on the left, but can't say for certain without knowing which of the many mods you're referring to...

I was referring to the windage mod specifically. Like in this thread

I am not registered on that forum so can not see the full images but looks like the modified windage knob is on the right.

My short list is down to these 3 too.

Correct, the windage adjustment knob will be on the right if your just removing the cable and replacing it with a threaded stud.

If you want it on the left you can just loosen 4 more screws, take out the springs and turn the top plate 180 degrees. Reinstall and windage is on the left.

What is recommended on a Bald Eagle or any other rests in case I go the metal/cast iron rest option. With windage adjustment or without?

What is recommended on a Bald Eagle or any other rests in case I go the metal/cast iron rest option. With windage adjustment or without?

If you're sticking with the factory top end I suggest getting the windage adjustment. 2 reasons main reasons for this:
1)It's far cheaper to buy the windage model now and decide you don't need it vs buying one without it and having to upgrade your rest later.
2)Resale and demand is higher on the windage as well if you decide it just isn't for you.

Only reasons I would recommend to avoid spending the extra bucks on the windage adjustable version is if you know for certain you will never use it or if you're planning on swapping out the top end right away.

Thanks! Once more question. To pair with the Bald Eagle BE1006 front rest, please let me know if I am getting the front and rear bag specs wrong:

Front: Protektor #2 Medium Ownl Ear Front Bag (2"-2 1/2" between the ears); Base size: 2 1/4" W x 5 3/4" L x 1" (or) 2" Square Ear Front Bag

Rear Bag: Protektor #13A Rabbit Ear Rear Bag (2-3/4" height) (or) Dr. Rear Benchrest Rear Bag

Last edited:
Thanks! Once more question. To pair with the Bald Eagle BE1006 front rest, please let me know if I am getting the front and rear bag specs wrong:

Front: Protektor #2 Medium Ownl Ear Front Bag (2"-2 1/2" between the ears); Base size: 2 1/4" W x 5 3/4" L x 1"

Rear Bag: Protektor #13A Rabbit Ear Rear Bag (2-3/4" height). Is this sufficient for a hunting rifle or is the 3-3/4" H rear bag more preferable?

The standard owl front bags won't work with the BE1006. 5" 3/4 bag, but rest max is 4" 3/4. If you're willing to make a phone call Protektor will custom make the bags front and rear to your specs for nearly the same price as their standard bags at distributors. If not willing to call, Bald Eagle makes a radius front bag similar to the Protektor bags that fit their rests. The BE bag isn't as nice as some other options, but the price is right ;)

Rear bag height is largely personal preference. I prefer taller, but most prefer shorter. Could always use a squeeze bag or even towels stacked up at home to find what height is most comfortable to you before ordering... or since you can make a short bag taller, but can't make a tall bag shorter you can just buy the shorter and place spacers underneath to get it to the correct height.

No matter which way you go be careful to verify the bags are filled!!! Lots of companies like to hide little notes in the descriptions and ship unfilled bags since they are heavy and can deform if not stored straight up and down on a flat surface. Even with the exact factory fill it is impossible, for me, to fill them to the same firmness as the factory. Another reason to order directly from Protektor as you can pick your fill level/firmness and it comes in proper packaging.

Wow... that became kinda long winded for such simple questions :(

@goosed - Thanks for the detailed reply. For the rear bag, I am thinking of just using the Armageddon Gear Game Changer Bag flipped upside down. I already have that on order. Will use that till I find my ideal set up of height and angle. Thanks for the advise.

As for the front shooting rest and bags, I am at crossroads and not able to decide with various options going through my mind. Number one being should I get a metal (cast iron or aluminum rest) at the moment or just get a front Protektor Bag to zero my new hunting rifle and think about the metal rests later.

By the way didn't quite the get the dimensions of the BE1006 front rest bag. What were saying? Length = 5 3/4" and Height = 4 3/4" ??

@goosed - Thanks for the detailed reply. For the rear bag, I am thinking of just using the Armageddon Gear Game Changer Bag flipped upside down. I already have that on order. Will use that till I find my ideal set up of height and angle. Thanks for the advise.

As for the front shooting rest and bags, I am at crossroads and not able to decide with various options going through my mind. Number one being should I get a metal (cast iron or aluminum rest) at the moment or just get a front Protektor Bag to zero my new hunting rifle and think about the metal rests later.

By the way didn't quite the get the dimensions of the BE1006 front rest bag. What were saying? Length = 5 3/4" and Height = 4 3/4" ??

Can't really help you with your crossroads. It's really personal preference as to how precise you want/need to be. For my hunting rifles I find my range backpack and any old rear squeeze bag sufficient, but that might not fit your needs.

Let me try to clarify the dimensions thing. What bag manufactures incorrectly list a length, once placed on a rest is actually the width (left to right from shooters prospective). Rest manufacturers correctly list the left to right area that holds the front bag as cradle width.

The BE1006 has a maximum front cradle width of 4 3/4". Meaning your maximum bag length must be 4 3/4" or less. The Proteckor's with their 5 3/4" length will not fit in the front cradle. I believe some of the BE's had/have a little more cradle width, but if memory serves none are big enough for the standard Protektor bags.

Hope that makes more sense?

The Seb mini from my linked above is lowered from. 910 to 799.
It has only 12 lbs. Heavy enough? It is said that some even compete with it rather than the NEO. True?