• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Good scope for 500?

M6transam

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
So im getting a Remington 700 .308 SPS Varmit. My limit for a scope is 500...I'm using this gun as a target gun only. 500-1000yds is the max range I'll be shooting. What would be a good scope to get?

I second the motion, on any of the Vipers or any SWFA ss. The fixed 10x ss for about $300 is considered a best bang for the buck if a fixed 10x will work for your ranges. It would be perfectly at home at 500-1000 yards. Weaver has some nice glass in the sub $500 range too. For all out great glass with less tactical features, you can find deals on the close outs from Zeiss conquest.

You know I don't see a difference in a $250 scope and a $500 dollar scope. I was verry impressed with the redfeild revenge and revolution models. The glass was clear and they were accurate. But I'm sure you know the saying on gun boards "buy once cry once" I think nightforce is the way to go

All I've ever been around and known is Leupold. But they can't be the only good scope company..I want a scope with the knob adjustments so I don't have to put a dime or small screw driver to adjust the windage or elevation. Not looking for a fixed power scope, I'd like to be able to zoom a little bit. And the adjustable eye piece would be nice as well.

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the Viper 6.5-20x44 that can be found on close out for a steal. Even at full price, it easily is the best value under $500 for any scope, in my book.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10822.aspx
The Faclon Menace is another scope most (not all) people have had good good luck with. It has a Lot of features for it price point, and good glass, and best of all it's front focal plane.
http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x44-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47573.aspx

Some very good advise listed above....

I'm running two of the scopes mentioned. The 5-15 vortex,and a 10x super sniper. Both are well worth the asking prices! I'd lean a little more towards the vortex though. Mil/Mil,side focus,variable power and a zero stop all for under 500.00. It's a steal!

I'm liking the Vortex. Although today I was asking my dad if he had a Variable power scope that he wasn't using. I knew it would be a Leupold if he had one. Well he has a set of rings and a VX-1 4X12 that is brand new never used. I said how much? He just gave it to me!! So I'll be using this to get me going until I can get a scope thats a little better with mil dots and stuff. I was pretty stoked that he just gave it to me lol

I am also looking for glass in this price area for my .223. Strongly considering the SSHD 3-9. I owned two of the SSHD 5-20's, and absolutely loved them. Another consideration is the Bushnell fixed 10x it is mil/mil and costs right at about 200.00. It receives excellent reviews. Lastly, check Midway for the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical. It is a 3-10 with mil/mil adjustments and is on sale right now for 299.99.

I am also looking for glass in this price area for my .223. Strongly considering the SSHD 3-9. I owned two of the SSHD 5-20's, and absolutely loved them. Another consideration is the Bushnell fixed 10x it is mil/mil and costs right at about 200.00. It receives excellent reviews. Lastly, check Midway for the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical. It is a 3-10 with mil/mil adjustments and is on sale right now for 299.99.

Has anyone considered any of the "Primary Arms optics?" Ive heard numerous good reviews on their stuff and have had great results with their micro red dot! Cant say much about their scopes, but if they are anything like their red dots ill bet they are great! Price points are between $200-$300.