• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good starting long range target rifle

Eurooptic still has the .308 Tikka Tac A1 on sale:

Earlier they had this nice package deal where you get the rifle plus a Vortex Viper Gen II scope for $1800 or something like that.
AND, they don't charge extra for their left hand version . :love: Something no one else does.

I've owned several remington 700s. First was a old BDL in 7rem mag. Shot that one for years. Sent it down the road in a trade for something or other. Was a good, old 70s production rifle that shot great. In hindsight I should have put a better scope on it and maybe a new barrel(I still find bags of 100 7rm brass from time to time in my junk) and kept it.
Second was a Sendero 300wm that I truly never should have got read of. I just got tired of the cost of ammo and barrels.
Third was a VLS in 243 that my uncle had to have. No idea what he did with it but it was so so. Bolt was a little gritty. Had a small amount of barrel wonder with heat.
Fourth is a vs308 that shoots tiny groups. The barrel is also bent visibly down and to the right. The bit feels like it's always dirty. But did I mention tiny groups? Like itty bitty. It's still here and will one day be rebarreled and have LRI give it the full monte. The wife loves it.
That's the keepers.
Owned a AAC 308 that wouldn't feed factory ammo and grouped crappy.
Owned a VTR that made sluggish guns look like benchrest rigs.
Owned a 7 mag Sendero that felt galled from the factory, went back 2 times and was sold because it would lock up and have to be kicked open with factory ammo.
I dont buy Remington any more. Not until I have a couple years of positive reports of Q.C. improvement.
Well, maybe 1 more. I need a old one to build a m40 clone off of....

Thanks for your ideas on a rifle. I found a deal on a Rem PCR in 260 Remington delivered for $750.
Now I'm down to two scopes for about $900 each. They are Burris XTR II 5-25x50 and a Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR3.5-21x50. Which one or other ideas would be helpful.
Thanks again for all the ideas and opinions.

Had a Tikka CTR 6.5CM and it was nice but wanted to try a 6CM and have a Howa Bravo 6CM and it’s 1/2 MOA impressive.

Anyone have experience with a Savage 10 in an Ashbury Precision chassis?

Anyone have experience with a Savage 10 in an Ashbury Precision chassis?

I have one. Mine is a takeoff that I added to a Sav 10 in 260 with CBI barrel. I have a Luth AR MBA 3 buttstock on mine currently. I don’t care for that as it still has some play even with the set screw tightened up. Aside from that it’s decent.

I’ve only handled the RPR and will say it’s a slimmer profile than the savage with the Ashbury. If that matters to you. I thought the factory Buttstock on the RPR did have a bit of play to it like the Luth does on mine.

As far as the scope options (Burris vs Bushnell) I’ve owned a couple XTRII Burris. I will say they are built like a tank but the optics get dark on the higher magnification end. I sold my 4-20 because this was very noticeable above 15X. I currently own the 3-15 which is very clear and seems to be the sweet spot for this optics clarity range. Not saying the Burris is “unusable” as some call it on the upper end, it just doesn’t have near the clarity and brightness my Sightron SIII 6-24 has in the same light condition.

Ive also owned several Remington in the last few years. XCR Long Range Tactical, which didn’t shoot worth a damn. Lucky to get under 1 MOA with factory or handloads. Also a Rem 700 AAC SD in 308. That one is a decent shooter. The trigger came in at just over 7 lbs but I tuned that to 2 lbs 14 oz. This AAC SD uses Magpul Pmags in AICS pattern. I will say it’s one of the smoothest Rem 700 actions I’ve ever handled.

In the end my savages, and I own several, all shoot better than my Rem 700’s. Which I also own/owned several.

Savage in Ashbury and Rem 700 AAC below
D93C280C-7127-4A5D-A7CE-0EE7337F790A.png
7E245E1C-8B40-4062-9752-FEBAB2B5F801.jpeg

Reactions: Mainer