• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Good time to switch to a 260?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Is this a good time to be switching to a 6.5cal? It seems that all of the suppliers that I use are out of stock, no backorder for all of their ball.

This year is going to be a rebarrel year for my 243, and I am contemplating staying 243 through another rebarreling, at least I have ball on hand for that, and it takes me a few years to burn a barrel.

I would really hate to switch cals, and then get stuck with very limited supplies.

**addendum**

I don't need the extra energy, or access to heavier ball, but I am attracted to the barrel life of the 6.5s, and the 260 seems the logical choice since I have ample supply of donor 243 brass to convert.

Depending on what flavor of Projectile you're looking for, there's a lot of availability there for the 6.5's, the powder is one of the biggest problems right now, but seems to be coming around, slowly.

Assuming you are looking at long range bullets, Lapua Scenars are readily available (and shoot great BTW), some others are trickling in here and there.

I am set in the powder department so long as it likes H4350.... or maybe IMR4895. If not, then I am boned. =P

I am set in the powder department so long as it likes H4350.... or maybe IMR4895. If not, then I am boned. =P

Well Mine certainly like H4350 so you should be good there.

Is there a specific projectile you have in mind or favor for one reason or another? If not, scoop up some of what's out there, and spin up your barrel.

I have always liked running sierras, and I was looking at the 107gr or 142gr SMKs. All of which seem to be out of stock at this time. At least I have a good stock of 6mm sierra ball.

The 142 SMK which is a great bullet, is non-existent unless I missing something. My understanding is that Sierra has not produced any in quite some time. The explanation I got was that after hoarding wave #3 or #72 (insert whatever mall or school shooting event) they pulled back on production of nearly all bullets, save .223/5.56, .308, etc... just to meet demand. I was hoping we would have a better idea after SHOT on when they will make another run of them.

Mine runs on 41.4 gr of H4350 and 139 gr Scenars.. works very well out of my rifle

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

The 142 SMK which is a great bullet, is non-existent unless I missing something. My understanding is that Sierra has not produced any in quite some time. The explanation I got was that after hoarding wave #3 or #72 (insert whatever mall or school shooting event) they pulled back on production of nearly all bullets, save .223/5.56, .308, etc... just to meet demand. I was hoping we would have a better idea after SHOT on when they will make another run of them.

The 142 SMK was the bullet I built my rifle around, and ran into the same problem, I then tested the Lapua 139 and got as good or better results from it, and ordered up a bunch. Then I found the 142's on bullets.com a while back and quickly notified a friend of mine who was running low and about to switch to the Lapua as well, but he managed to stock up for another season when they were available. Seems the Lapuas are easy to find and get right now, although a bit more expensive, just depends on the pill you want to throw I guess, but you can still get 1K packs of the Lapuas, so I'd assume you could stock up on them to get through the current long running crunch.

Tag.
I'm curious. Seems like certain bullets/caliber/powder come in cycles. Like some companies will only roll out ____ product seasonally or yearly. It would be awesome if we could have an idea of what was to come so we can choose a barrel/cal ahead of time for the season/year.

Damn! I just ordered 2 new barrels, 9k bergers, and 83.5 lbs of varget. You... you didn't need those did you? =P

I'd run a .260 only if you use a reamer that accommodates the thicker neck of Lapua .260 brass. Remington brass is almost non-existant and I have not heard too much about the SSA .260 brass thats out. It seems to be easier to locate the Lapua .260 brass due to it's higher price and it won't work in some .260's out there. 139 Scenars aren't too bad to find, 140 Hybrids sell out quick. I was in the same boat you were in a year ago. I switched to 6 Creedmoor because all of my .260 brass was shot out and I could not find any anywhere. If I need a wheelbarrow full of 6 Creed brass all I have to do is call GAP.

After reading about sierra, I checked midway and called my suppliers, and they are out of the 85grain sgks that I am currently using. So it seems no matter which caliber I decide to go with, I will be out of ball. Phoo =(

Everyone is out of stock on everything right now it seems. Bullets, comparators, scopes, mounts, etc. Backed up from the holidays and/or SHOT I guess.

Depending on what flavor of Projectile you're looking for, there's a lot of availability there for the 6.5's, the powder is one of the biggest problems right now, but seems to be coming around, slowly.

Assuming you are looking at long range bullets, Lapua Scenars are readily available (and shoot great BTW), some others are trickling in here and there.
Exactly what I have found. The Senar L 136gr. and Senar 139gr. both shoot great with H4350 43.3gr., which is a moderate load and not much of a barrel burner and, hopefully, will allow me about 3000 rounds or more. I shoot frequently, so will keep you posted. Also, Lapua 260 brass readily available, which I have loaded 5x without any signs of wear or pressure signs. Good luck!