• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Tunes

A rockabilly band from Switzerland I like, sadly not been able to catch them live the few times they have been near.

The first two are covers, the last two are originals, two of them have a guest singer, Sparky from "Demented Are Go" a psychobilly/horror punk band from the U.K. The "movie" format on the last two videos are a story between the songs.

Reactions: 918v
Ok, I'm on a Last Waltz roll here....now, I've never been much of a Joni Michell fan...until I saw this tune played live in The Last Waltz. The tune is called Coyote and, I believe, its about Sam Shepard who she apparently had a fling with.

Yeah, Joni Mitchell....but look at her...listen to what she can do with that vocal instrument of hers. I just think this bit is outstanding.

Love that documentary, Staple Singers got it.

Reactions: Baron23

That fat boy sho 'nuff kin play hisself some o dat dere geetar.

Every video I've seen of him has been in that exact same club with the same way too loud of an audience.
If he could ever find himself without the noisy crowd and without feeling like he needed to show off, he might make himself a damn fine album or two.
Somehow I doubt that ever will happen though.

• Haha
Reactions: Govt Mule
That was great!
If you have never seen postmodern Jukebox it is worth a look. IMHO some of them work and some of them don't. What they do is take "current" music and play it in another style. Usually 40's or blues. If you watch the videos usually the guy playing the piano is the guy behind it all, the brains of the outfit. They do tour, or at least did several years ago when they first started, it is worth going.

You might have to do some hunting till you find one you like, but some are better then the originals....again IMHO.

Levon was the man, IMO....and he had little patience for Scorsese and star washed, blow dried, Robbie Robertson.

Great performance and great song.
" Hey Ridley, got any Beeman`s?"
" Yeah, I think I got me a stick "
" Loan me some will `ya, I`ll pay you back later."

Levon as Maj. Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff. Would have liked to have seen him in some more parts. An " actual " southern accent!

Reactions: Baron23
Probably the oldest geezer on this board (76). High school and college in the 60`s and 70`s. Motown, The Righteous Brothers, The Beatles, the Big O ( Roy Orbison )......too many to mention. Music you could dance to, and could understand the lyrics ( well, except for Louie Louie by the Kingsmen! )

Reactions: Aftermath
A trio of good blues players there. Kingfish definitely can play! Samantha Fish is easy on the eyes but her sound tends to be a bit harsh to my ears. I prefer Ally Venable:

If you have never seen postmodern Jukebox it is worth a look. IMHO some of them work and some of them don't. What they do is take "current" music and play it in another style. Usually 40's or blues. If you watch the videos usually the guy playing the piano is the guy behind it all, the brains of the outfit. They do tour, or at least did several years ago when they first started, it is worth going.

You might have to do some hunting till you find one you like, but some are better then the originals....again IMHO.

I've been digging on them for a few years. Two of my favorites:

As you may guess, I like Haley Reinhart :love:

A trio of good blues players there. Kingfish definitely can play! Samantha Fish is easy on the eyes but her sound tends to be a bit harsh to my ears. I prefer Ally Venable:

I agree about Fish. Don't care for her voice and the pharsing she does on the guitar. Ally is way more easy on the eyes as well IMO. :p:cool:

This is one of my favorites chicks that feels what she is singing and playing

Another one that can really sing and play (bass):

I've been digging on them for a few years. Two of my favorites:

As you may guess, I like Haley Reinhart :love:

There are some songs that should only be sung by a female. All about the Bass is one of them.

I remember hearing Nancy Sinatra talking to Lee Hazlewood about These Boots are Made for walking, and he was saying how it should be a man that sang that, she disagreed and said that if a man said it that would be too harsh and violent. I think she is right.

All about that Bass, this is the version that I like.

I like some of the duets between Lee and Nancy, you just don't hear them very often unless you happen to be in my shop.

Reactions: Uhlan and 918v
Band from Denmark. They sing this song in English, so the lyrics don't flow like it was originally written. Video was filmed in a city in Russia that was hidden from the West during the Cold War (nuclear weapons production). Follows a woman they met at a venue the band was performing at.

Frank spanks Stevie Vai

School Days Stanley Clake

Million Miles Away
Rory Gallagher

Rory Shadow Play

Last edited:
Reactions: Govt Mule and 918v
A chick that can play and sings as well as any chick I've ever come across (save *maybe* Nancy Wilson).

Real easy on the eyes and has a way of just exuding sex.....not that I'm complaining :)

one of greatest and underapprecited lead singers in rock

I saw them at Carnegie Hall, the concerts that are on their live album. She lives in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and IIRC correctly has been involved with the Sellersville Theatre near there

Reactions: mosin46
"There are some songs that should only be sung by a female. All about the Bass is one of them."

Did you watch the entire video? The guy sings the first chorus, all of 15 seconds. The rest is divided up between the 3 female singers

Brainstorm (Prata Vetra in Latvian) is a band that goes back to 1989 locally in Jelgava, Latvia and their lead singer, Renars Kaupers had some televised solo performances in the USSR, but their 1st album wasn't till 1993. Their style changes with foreign influences and the times and their late 90's and early 2000's music is their style period that I resonate with... I've seen them in concert twice and they are just as good in person.... and their lyrics translate into English or Russian very well meaning little to nothing is lost in translation...
The videos make the songs even better.... Here are the English versions of some songs they did in Latvian as well...

Recorded off of Latvian TV.... Great Intro to God's Country...

Last edited:
Superb musicians. I think today’s kids wanna play other people’s music instead of making their own. That’s why everything sounds the same .
The music education they received in High School and College or through private instruction back then was all classically organized with Bach's Rules of Harmony.... and if they followed them like ABBA, ELO, Queen or the Moody Blues.... they resonated and soothed.... if they intentionally funked those rules you had agitating, energizing jazzy funkclassical tunes like these... Kids today are NOT taught anything and fewer still play to MASTER any instrument.... Anyone can pluck a guitar chord but to play classic Spanish Guitar like Randy Rhoads did....... not happening.... in this current social mess we have...

The music education they received in High School and College or through private instruction back then was all classically organized with Bach's Rules of Harmony.... and if they followed them like ABBA, ELO, Queen or the Moody Blues.... they resonated and soothed.... if they intentionally funked those rules you had agitating, energizing jazzy funkclassical tunes like these... Kids today are NOT taught anything and fewer still play to MASTER any instrument.... Anyone can pluck a guitar chord but to play classic Spanish Guitar like Randy Rhoads did....... not happening.... in this current social mess we have...

That’s right. I took a music class in college, for general ed, and the highlight was when Uncle Joe Benson showed up one day to explain rock music and how it is structured. I could never find anything close to that lesson on the internet.

Reactions: Uhlan