• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Goodbye Wisconsin... I've had enough!

Re: Goodbye Wisconsin... I've had enough!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been seriously thinking of doing the same. However, the recent election has given me a ray of hope that things just may be starting to change for the better. Hopefully we can start getting back to reality. So I'll be sticking it out, at least for a while. Have been thinking of fulltime Rv'ing too. </div></div>

Ditto... maybe Gov. elect Walker can turn things around. Too his credit he has already killed the stupid train between Milwaukee and Madison. There is hope the newly elected Republican state assembly can bring us back to sanity. There's a lot of talk that we will get a concealed carry law passed. We'll see... like I said I'm stuck here until my Dad's situation is resolved.

I did the RV thing from 1994 - 98. I loved it. Grass got too long I moved. If the neighbors bugged me, I moved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">real estate tax bill and it's up 9.5 percent over 2009. </div></div>

DAMN!

Alaska will take you. Can't get any better for guns, hunting and fishing. No recession here either.

Since I can't afford a house of my own, I'll use my parents house as an example.

They paid about 12K last year in property and school taxes for a an approx. 1500 sq. ft. house which sits on not even a 1/4 acre of land. School taxes (65% of the taxes they pay) went up 9% this year, the second highest on the island. I grew up there, and loved it. 5 minutes from the beach, an hour from the mountains, 40 minutes from Manhattan. Now, my neighborhood is beginning to resemble Queens, and I can't afford a house anywhere near my old neighborhood. I'm hoping to move as far north as I reasonably can until I retire, then I am getting the HELL out of this state.

I have heard from former residents that the taxes and the libs are out of control in NM. I think Ted Turner owns half the state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked the location of St. George Utah. It's close to the surrounding parks and not to for from Vegas, plus they have more than 1 golf course which is a must.</div></div>

If you are thinking St. George, Utah or much of Nevada it might be a good idea to research "Downwinder" issues related to fallout from above ground testing in the 50's/60's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xshot.......You think your taxes are high now, wait 'til you leave Wisconson and they hit you with a luxury tax for owning land that is not your primary residence. Happened to my folks on 30 acres they owned in Hillsboro, WI. That state is designed to pull every bit of cash out of the hands of those that work!!!!</div></div>
Unbelieveable!
The People's Republic of Madison. Taxation without representation? Sounds vaguely familiar. Cue the crickets....

I'll add my two cents, not that it matters much. Where we are in Jersey the property tax is 9k for a two bedroom, one bath, 1146 sq. ft. house on .24 ac. We are on the cheep side of town too. The side of town that was built in the 1700's, their tax is about 25k a year.

About September or October Lori's hands and toes start to turn blue or purple because of circulation and she is just 52. It was like that ten years ago when we got married. We will be moving to either Florida or South Carolina so that the cold will no longer effect (or is affect, never get that one right) her and I can feel free about my love of guns.

Our political view, just three feet to the right of Attila the Hun. There are only three on our block that share that view.

Maxwell

You guys have made me feel a lot better about state taxes, I just thought they were bad here in KS.

I'm just north of the OK. border in KS. so cross back and forth all the time, shoot matches in OK. almost every month. Great bunch of shooters, as long as I leave their sooners alone they treat me like a native. OK has some great state parks, lakes, white water rafting, and from what I've seen of the females they are equal to anywhere in the states. Even in these down times the economy seems to be humming along. Give them a good hard look.

Texas is still the best choice guys sorry. No state income tax, good climate for business, no damn cold weather, but still 4 seasons.

I think that early patriot said it best:

<span style="font-size: 20pt">"You all can go to Hell,
As for me, I am going to Texas"</span>
Davey Crockett, on leaving for the Alamo.

I was born and raised in San Antonio. Spent the past 10 years working in Waukesha Wisconsin and just moved back to San Antonio. We couldn't be happier....well I could if our darn house would sell. 7.5 acres wooded with a few hundred mature black walnut trees, wild turkeys, raccoons, deer, and coyotes. Looking for a place now in SA to shoot long range.
Good luck with your decision Wisconsin is more expensive than people think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas is still the best choice guys sorry. No state income tax, good climate for business, no damn cold weather, but still 4 seasons.

I think that early patriot said it best:

<span style="font-size: 20pt">"You all can go to Hell,
As for me, I am going to Texas"</span>
Davey Crockett, on leaving for the Alamo. </div></div>

Four seasons i only experienced 2 when i was down there hot and fucking hot. Give me 10 below any day over 90. Guess that is what is great about the country though you can choose where and what you like and live there. If i had to pick some place other than SD to live it would be alaska after being up there a few times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xshot,

Tennessee is also very gun friendly and we don't have State income Tax.
</div></div>

I Must Disagree with you there... Having lived in states with good Gun Laws, TN Sucks.. As do the Antique Hunting laws. If the new state legislators don't Fix the laws to mirror Modern Southern states.. I will be leaving. With no CCW, you are a Obedient Victim or a Criminal... Can't even drive from one stand to the next hunting without locking Ammo in another part of Vehicle... Fuck'em if they don't trust their Citizens. </div></div>

Tennessee calls their CCW a "Handgun Carry Permit" which you can pick up from a drivers license center after taking the handgun safety course. Tennessee is a "shall issue" state, is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand your ground law.

As far as driving from one stand to the next with a rifle I unload anyways, but here is what I found:

"Automobile carry:
Public Chapter 431 – Loaded Rifles and Shotguns in Vehicles – This act allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a privately owned vehicle. The act provides that the weapon cannot have ammunition in the chamber except in the case that an individual permit holder feels physically threatened."

I'm not really sure what you know and what you think you know about different states gun laws, but of the 6 states I've lived in, Tennessee is equal to the best of them as being gun friendly.

NY isn't terrible, get into the country, yes there is more to NY then the Big Apple (been there only once, not anxious to go back) i live in the big blooming metroplis of Whitney Point (pop 2300) the gun laws are typical NY, no class 3, 6 month min wait for a CCW permit, a dirent copy of the Clinton Gun ban (but who cares, PA isn't far off, and you can trot over the boarder, buy as many "normal" semi-autos with all the "evil" as you want (ya know drive by bayonettings have REALLY been a problem out here...) and get your cheap (think .25 less per gallon, just south o' the border) not to mention cheaper tabbacco, beer, ammo, taxes, fewer tree hugging libs, ect...WHAT THE HELL AM I DOIN IN NY???

seriously though, PA is realy nice, New Hampshire is expensive, but has good gun laws, so does vermont. dont know squat about VT other then they have no requiremnets for owning a pistol exept you must be a 30-day residnet and beable to leagly own a firearm.

Gun law in Wisconsin goes like this:
- 3 day wait for hand gun purchases
- no wait rifle & shotgun

Transporting of weapons requires weapon to be unloaded, bolt removed, and locked in the trunk.

No CC law, but our state constitution has one of the strongest gun ownership and open carry provision in the USA. However, liberal legislators and police departments insist on arresting/ticketing those that open carry. These actions are being contested and recently a state judge threw one case out citing the state must uphold its laws.

Some say we will get CCW with the election of a Republic Governor and state assembly... we'll see.

Oklahoma (most conservative) or Texas. However, there IS one state in the Union that has fewer people than the city of St. Louis, the last time I checked...thats where I would want to be.

North Dakota - don't know that I can tolerate the long cold winters.

South Dakota only has 100K more people.

If you dont like the cold just live in rapid city it is always warm there and then if you want snow sports you are at the base of the black hills

I'm pissed too. I don't know how people can pay the property taxes. I'm looking at SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Xshot here in California....never mind....
frown.gif
</div></div>

I've spent a lot of time in California, mostly around Santa Cruz. San Francisco is my number favorite big city to visit. That said, I couldn't own a residence there for many of the same reasons I've gotta get out of Wisconsin. </div></div>

You don't own a residence in Ca, it owns you.

The day my contract (3 years) was up in Wisconsin, the Jeep was loaded and I was en route to Texas - about 1100 miles. The Jeep died in 95 degree heat on I75 (Central Expressway), but I was in Texas!!

I live near Seattle and it's about 30 something degrees outside but damp.

20 mins outside and my hands HURT.

Alaska wasn't this bad, at least clothes kept your hands warm.

I'm thinking about NM, Northern Arizona, the panhandle of Texas or Oklahoma....and I'm thinking in the next year...

I like Wisco, but if I was to ever relocate it would have to be Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Idaho or Texas (maybe Nebraska also). All of these states seem to have great hunting and gun loving populations.

Oh I guess Alaska would not be bad either, although I bet the shipping rates would substitute for the tax money you save
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My property taxes here in OKLA. are around 700.00/yr. on 135 acres, 2100 sq. ft. house, 2400 sq. ft. barn w/corrals. I wouldnt advise anybody to move here though. Its hotter than
hell,there are chiggers,ticks,fireants,copperheads,rattlesnakes,cottonmouths and methheads by the dozens. Nearly all the women are snaggled toothed and fat. The good thing is there aint hardly any bleeding heart Yankees. </div></div>

Sounds perfect for Shankster

My wife and I will be saying "goodbye" to Wisconsin on January first of this year in Pasadena...leaving tomorrow morning. I'll have my camera ready for pale skin, xxl Badger shirts, and member's only jackets. Should be glorious.

Go Frogs!

Have a safe trip. I bet you wont miss the cold weather and shoveling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife and I will be saying "goodbye" to Wisconsin on January first of this year in Pasadena...leaving tomorrow morning. I'll have my camera ready for pale skin, xxl Badger shirts, and member's only jackets. Should be glorious.

Go Frogs! </div></div>

Da Badgers are gonna kick ass New Year's day. Who they playin'?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about New Mexico? I've passed through their several times, but for the life of me can't remember much. Maybe it's me, but it seems like you don't here much about the State, it's people or problems. </div></div>

New Mexico is a beautiful state. You will experience all four seasons here and is for the most part high desert and mountains. At certain times of the year you could snow ski and water ski on the same day/weekend. Since we are high desert it doesnt get near as hot here as it does in Arizona. We have warm summers but 100 degree days are rare and it cools off nicely at night. Winter finds plenty of snow in the mountains but when it snows here in Albuquerque (avg elev about 5200 ft) it usually melts fast and doesnt hang around on the streets.

Total population for the entire state is right around two million. It's not a rich state but good paying jobs can be found. We do have a state income tax but it's not bad. If you got skills you will find work. Unfortunately it's a pro democrat state because the average income is fairly low and those people do like their handouts. We did just elect a Republican governor (the first woman Hispanic governor in the Nation's history) and I'm hoping for good things from her.

As far as firearms, New Mexico is one of the freer states. It is a shall issue state and an open Carry state (no permit required). Your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. Lots of great hunting and fishing here but lakes are far between.

If I can answer any more questions about New Mexico for you, just ask.

Good luck.

taxes in WI going up! I hate it. and we don't have CCW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dadzic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I guess Alaska would not be bad either, although I bet the shipping rates would substitute for the tax money you save
smile.gif
</div></div>

Shipping's really not all that much more than what you'd get in the lower-48 unless you're living in a remote town/village. What'll kill you is ammunition costs...
wink.gif

I left WI in 1979 after wandering through 8 foot high snow banks. Went to the high desert in the Grand Junction, CO area. Beautiful place. Would live there again. St George, UT is also nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dadzic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I guess Alaska would not be bad either, although I bet the shipping rates would substitute for the tax money you save
smile.gif
</div></div>

Shipping's really not all that much more than what you'd get in the lower-48 unless you're living in a remote town/village. What'll kill you is ammunition costs...
wink.gif
</div></div>

The ammunition is currently way to expensive for my budget even in the lower 48:) hopefully going to college pays out some day, so I can afford ammo and nice gap rifles built for lefties
smile.gif

x2
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Xshot here in California....never mind....
frown.gif
</div></div>