• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REPORT: Not One 8th Grader at LeBron James’ I Promise School Has Passed State Math Test in 3 Years!

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

lebron-james-addresses-the-media-following-the-grand-opening-of-the-i-promise-school-on-july.jpg

Not a single 8th grader at the I Promise School LeBron in Akron, Ohio, a school founded by LeBron James, has passed their state math test in three years, and critics are blasting the school for its unkept promises.
When LeBron James dropped into Akron with great fanfare and media coverage in 2018, promising to fund a new sort of school to help educate young people in his hometown, many hailed him as just the savior the city needed. But did James’ “I Promise” school fulfill its promises? Test scores are showing that it hasn’t.
Now, even Akron school board members are beginning to question James’ commitment to actual education and wondering if it was more about burnishing his reputation as a philanthropist than a serious effort to reform and reinvigorate education.

Last week, members of the Akron school board began taking a closer look at James’ so-called I Promise school and found that real academic achievements are few and far between.
The state of Ohio also found problems.
Per Yahoo News: “Two of I Promise’s biggest subgroups of students, Black students and those with disabilities, are now testing in the bottom 5% in the state, landing the school on the Ohio Department of Education’s list of those requiring targeted intervention.”
Akron school board President Derrick Hall said he was “disappointed” by the school’s serious deficits.

“For me as a board member, I just think about all the resources that we’re providing,” Hall told the media. “And I just, I’m just disappointed that I don’t think, it doesn’t appear like we’re seeing the kind of change that we would expect to see.”
Keith Liechty-Clifford, the Akron School District’s director of school improvement, said, “It is discouraging.

James’s school makes airy assertions about how important education is on its website on a page touting its “I Promise Method.”

With education as the driving force of change, the LeBron James Family Foundation is not only spreading that impact and improving lives of inner-city students and families, but also shifting the course of an entire community. Focusing on his hometown of Akron, the Foundation’s I PROMISE program provides year-round resources, access to opportunities, supportive skill development, constant encouragement and other wraparound supports to more than 1,300 Akron Public School students who have all been guaranteed college scholarships if they do their part. These efforts have culminated in the groundbreaking new public school – the I Promise School – that is taking an innovative approach to providing a challenging, supportive, and life-changing education, creating a new model for urban public education.

James earned much media praise for dropping into Akron in 2018 to announce his grand school funding ideas.
“This is a huge moment, not only in my life, not only in my family’s life, not only in the foundation’s life but for these kids and for the whole city of Akron more importantly,” James said in a speech on opening day. “This is a huge moment for all of us.”
But it soon came to light that Ohio taxpayers were still paying most of the school’s expenses, just like any other school. More than 75 percent of the funding is still coming from government sources.
There is also still inner-city crime to deal with on the campus of James’ school, too. Last year a teen was beaten to death in the school’s parking lot.
Now the Ohio Department of Education is about to pour even more state-funded resources into the I Promise school in a desperate attempt to increase test scores.
In hopes of turning the failing school around, the Akron School District has assigned a new principal for the coming school year. That candidate, Stephanie Davis, pronounced her hopes for the future.
“One of the things I’m most excited about coming into the I Promise School is the optimism and energy around getting our students to a level of achievement we know they’re capable of,” Davis said. “At the recent board meeting, our preliminary (state testing) data was shared, but it’s important to note that proficiency is based on mastering grade-level standards.”
But Board President Derrick Hall also tried to take the heat off LeBron James’ foundation, saying that criticism should be on the heads of school officials, not the foundation. “The foundation’s not here to educate our kids,” Hall said. “That’s our job..
Still, it is remarkable that despite all the media stroking James received for his school investment plan, he is also getting a pass for that same school’s utter failure to educate.

IDK know or care about either this school or James, but could it be that the old 'you can lead a horse to water' adage holds true?

If students don't *want* to learn, they won't.

I'll bet that they know darn well how much money you can get out of an 8-ball or an ounce of fentanyl

M

Ah ha! It's the guy who throws a ball through a metal ring's fault!
Not the School, the administrators, the teachers, the parents or the students.

It's the rich guys fault. Like ALWAYS! Ahahahaha.... how's that feel?
The expensive basketball shoe's on the other foot now isn't it.

Reactions: Im2bent
Ah ha! It's the guy who throws a ball through a metal ring's fault!
Not the School, the administrators, the teachers, the parents or the students.

It's the rich guys fault. Like ALWAYS! Ahahahaha.... how's that feel?
The expensive basketball shoe's on the other foot now isn't it.
This.

Even the school board president agrees.

But Board President Derrick Hall also tried to take the heat off LeBron James’ foundation, saying that criticism should be on the heads of school officials, not the foundation. “The foundation’s not here to educate our kids,” Hall said. “That’s our job..

just the way they want em good and dumb but they pay for and watch basketball yea .

Reactions: Mwalex
Well if the stupid school would switch to the metric system they would be tops in math.

IDK know or care about either this school or James, but could it be that the old 'you can lead a horse to water' adage holds true?

If students don't *want* to learn, they won't.
He needs to figure out how to take the ghetto out of those kids first.

Maybe they could start bussing in Asian kids to raise the curve?
They tried something similar to this when I was in JR High. I was in all of the advanced classes but some genius had a theory that if you put the remedial students in with the advanced ones then the remedial ones would "learn" from their peers.

In less than one semester the entire class was "remedial". Grades across the board plummeted and many never made it back. Numerous students of the advanced classes were eventually taken out of the special advanced program and never went back.

They tried something similar to this when I was in JR High. I was in all of the advanced classes but some genius had a theory that if you put the remedial students in with the advanced ones then the remedial ones would "learn" from their peers.

In less than one semester the entire class was "remedial". Grades across the board plummeted and many never made it back. Numerous students of the advanced classes were eventually taken out of the special advanced program and never went back.
I remember that bullshit. it was one of 100 asinine ideas they forced us teachers to do, many years ago. there would always be some big push for a "new method" that some jackass thought up for their doctorate program, then we would have to stay after school and listen to this insane stupidity in mandatory workshops.

Of course, at the pinnacle of the scale of uselessness, our school had the one female teacher who got pregnant every year for maternity leave benefits; but that year she didn't manage to get knocked up, so she thought fast and signed up to be the "implementation liaison" for this program so that, as far as I know, she never had to teach one single kid over the course of her teaching career.

Let me put on my magic hat and take a guess.

- All of the kids going to this 'school' are ghetto black kids with ghetto black parent(s) that do ghetto black people things.

- The main motivation to get into this school is that its probably free daycare for the kids and it feeds them.

- The secondary objective to going here is 'let lebron see you playing ball so you can get into the NBA' or some random pipedream idea that is usually the first, and only goal for 90% of these kids with 'sell drugs so I can get those Jordans' being a close 2nd.

- It's 50% a jobs program and 50% money laundering.

Laugh all you guys want.

Show up in any school today (or hell just sit in the pit)

Learning is for suckers and losers. Just tell me how to get paid.

Experts are stupid, the mob knows best. Just pick the mob that aligns with your beliefs.

TLDR: Critical Thinking is dead and we killed it. I've seen so much bullshit distortion of history and logic on this forum alone, and I mostly agree with you fucks.

Watching the news or schools is like a giant screeching sound of pain. It's not unique to LeBron school. It's all schools. Pass along the retards malcontents and make sure the smart ones suffer or are so crushed by bs they never step out of line again.

I had to literally beat, kick, and stab my way outta high school. Admin, blacks, whites, teachers, coaches. Fuck em all. It was a relief to get to college and find other smart people and professors who gave a shit, even if they were a minority.

I have spoken.

PS Fuck the humanities in particular

One of Robert Heinlein's ancestors grew up on a farm outside of Butler, Missouri. When he was at the 8th grade level, he had to leave school to take care of the family farm because his father passed away. When he left, he could use basic math and had parts of the trigonometry table memorized for calculating guy wires. Read, write, and speak English, German, could read some Greek and Hebrew. He had read the Bible and some of the authors of the day. He had read a number of stories by Shakespeare.

We have high school gradiates and some college graduates today who cannot do any of that well.

It has to do with expectations. Lowering the bar never helps. Throwing more money at it doesn't help. Holding students and teachers to levels of accountability is what matters. Some of the wealthier districts may have better results but it is because the parents expect better performance. They did not make money by accepting crap.

So, get back throwing hoodlums out of school and bring back the paddle with the holes in it. You need to hear that thing whistling toward your ass.

You know why the kids mind the adults who patrol the neighborhood? Corporal punishment.

Let me put on my magic hat and take a guess.

- All of the kids going to this 'school' are ghetto black kids with ghetto black parent(s) that do ghetto black people things.

- The main motivation to get into this school is that its probably free daycare for the kids and it feeds them.

- The secondary objective to going here is 'let lebron see you playing ball so you can get into the NBA' or some random pipedream idea that is usually the first, and only goal for 90% of these kids with 'sell drugs so I can get those Jordans' being a close 2nd.

- It's 50% a jobs program and 50% money laundering.
It is also a cautionary tale of who you let get into your head after making a ton of money. In short it's a way to 'be loved' by his core audience and little more.

Of course helping poor black chiren is a noble goal but the biggest obstacle to actually doing that is a very unhealthy ghetto culture.

It's just like the fact that you could give almost anyone a 100% free ride, full scholarship to the best school in America but 95% will blow it or flunk out. It's not from a lack of being smart in most cases either.

Laugh all you guys want.

Show up in any school today (or hell just sit in the pit)

Learning is for suckers and losers. Just tell me how to get paid.

Experts are stupid, the mob knows best. Just pick the mob that aligns with your beliefs.

TLDR: Critical Thinking is dead and we killed it. I've seen so much bullshit distortion of history and logic on this forum alone, and I mostly agree with you fucks.

Watching the news or schools is like a giant screeching sound of pain. It's not unique to LeBron school. It's all schools. Pass along the retards malcontents and make sure the smart ones suffer or are so crushed by bs they never step out of line again.

I had to literally beat, kick, and stab my way outta high school. Admin, blacks, whites, teachers, coaches. Fuck em all. It was a relief to get to college and find other smart people and professors who gave a shit, even if they were a minority.

I have spoken.

PS Fuck the humanities in particular
Why was I okay with the term coffee snob?

You'll have to forgive my cynacism. I relgulary tell grad students "If you do X, I will deduct points from your case study" and then they go and complain to myself and anyone who listens "I deserved a better grade" and then get pissy when I tell them to rewatch minute 46-48 of class recording.

Fucking grad students can't follow basic instructions

And the fact I know to record the minute I say it tells you how often it occurs.

Reactions: plong
I'm no fan of LeBron James, but I can applaud his efforts in at least attempting to help the community. I also think it's incredibly short sighted. As The German pointed out, these kids are likely ghetto black kids raised by ghetto black parents. The ghetto is all they know and all they want to know. You could give them a million dollars. They'd never leave the section 8 housing, but they'd lose all million in about 8 months on Jordan sneakers, a fancy car with shiny new rims, and a lot of trips to the strip club for the homies. The worst part of this whole story is anyone with a brain could've told you this is exactly what would have happened, but we're all "racist" for saying it. It's not race, though. It's a cultural thing and a socioeconomic thing because white trash do the same shit

I just google'd one quickly, answered a few problems off several pages...I'd certainly frickin' hope so!

I answered quite a few in my head, as well. But, full disclosure, I went to school when you still had to make good grades to pass. Class of 1982 in a really good school district.

Last year, one of my classmates, who actually only lives at the other end of the county from me, and I went to our 40 year high school reunion. Man, there was a lot of old people there.

But at least I am still an asshole. When I graduated high school, I was 6' 6". Now, some decades down the road, I am a shrimpy 6' 4". But another classmate who was always about 5' 6" is still that way and still would like some of my height.

I still have all my hair, no gray. Plenty of gray heads there. Except for my friend. He has no hair.

"I'm an asshole, asshole, asshole..." (Dennis Leary)

Who needs critical thinking? Wrap the sub in 6" of carbon fiber... Send it.

I was working with a kid a few years ago that wanted to join the military but he flunked the entrance exam. Went and looked, it was dead easy.
Kids these days, we are doomed.