• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Got my new Schmidt Bender today, could use some advise.

DarbinCo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2013
Western Colorado
Its a PMII 5-25 with the Gen2 XR reticle.

I have had many scopes through the years, Nightforce NXS, Vortex Razor (POS) Zeiss, I have currently have 3 Swarovski's and a pair of Premiers (Gen2 XR's) and a handful of Leupolds and Bushnells. I've always liked the Schmidts, I had a friends PMII 3-12 here recently and spent about a week with it, really liked it But wanted a bit more power so I ordered the 5-25. I must say I'm rather unimpressed with it for several reasons. First and foremost I cant get the reticle focused. Ive tried several ways including the instructions layed out in the manual. It seems I can get it close but not perfect. This is the first scope I've ever had that has given me an issue like this. Hell, I even went and put in new contact lenses thinking that might be the issue... nope.. The second issue I have with it is the eyebox is so tight at 20x its almost unusable. Lastly, The parallax is about 200 yards/meters off. Maybe all three issues are related?

Of course I called the supplier and they have never heard of a Schmidt having these issues. So.. is it me or did I happen to draw a short straw and get one thats not quite right?

After spending 90 minutes with it I made the decision to send it right back. Heres my options, do I swap it out for another and hope it was the scope, maybe step down to a 4-20? Exchange it for a Kahles 525i with the new Skmr4 reticle? (Ive never seen one nor looked through one of their tactical scopes before but liked a Kahles hunting scope I had many moons ago) The final choice is refund and keep looking.

Thanks in advance,
Darb

I don't think S&B would have the reputation they do if these problems were common. I would bet on a lemon and try again. My PMII is flawless, except the whole tunneling thing.

Reactions: DarbinCo
The gen2 XR has very fine lines. Any chance your visual acuity won’t let you see it well?

Theres that chance but I have zero issues with either of my Premiers with the same reticle in them. Thats the reason I got the Schmidt in the Gen2 XR... so it essentially matched my premiers.

Most likely its just a bad F1 setting when the erector was built . .. It happens and it explains your situation 100 %
Multiple check points through the build could have detected this error ... ..but it is a very sensitive adjustment to say the least
The response time for repair without debate becomes the performance indicator

I just recently got a PMIi 5-25 as well, and while I like the scope a lot, I wasn’t blown away at 25x. It’s good, but not what I expected. I have 2 USO LR17s, and I honestly don’t think that the Schmidt glass is worlds better. I don’t know. Maybe I just need more time on it. I’ve only had it out twice. Both times the targets were in the shade and they weren’t as clear/resolved through the scope as I thought that they would be. I’m not the most experienced guy, so I don’t know what I don’t know. Maybe under more favorable lighting conditions I’ll feel differently. If I don’t, I’ll be looking for a ZCO lol.

Lou

Theres that chance but I have zero issues with either of my Premiers with the same reticle in them. Thats the reason I got the Schmidt in the Gen2 XR... so it essentially matched my premiers.

Contact Jerry or Randy at Schmidt’s service center in Virginia. They will get you squared away or at least help you determine if the scope has a problem that requires service. They do a great job and turn things around fairly quickly if it needs to be sent in. I have a phone number of 540-450-8132 but you can double check via Google. It’s been awhile since I have called them for anything...

Reactions: DarbinCo