• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got My Side Cocker DPMS .308 Together

lentuk

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
United States
I got my upper back from Medesha Firearms today and put my .308 back together.
After shooting the standard rifle a few times I was wishing I had spent the money on a Fulton Titan side cocker upper.
In a prone position or at the bench it seemed like I had to twist my head and body awkwardly to get the charging handle back and get a round chambered.
These .308s take a bit more effort and the bolt is longer so its not as easy as a regular AR.
I was going to sell my upper and buy a Fulton when I read about Medesha firearms on another forum.
After doing the math I had enough money and then some to buy a new railed handguard and some more tools from Brownells to do all the takedown and reassembly myself.
I am super happy so far, I can cock it with a cheek weld and its seems super easy to chamber a round, I highly recommend this if you have an upper like this already.
All I need now is the Vortex Viper to show up and I can get you a range report.
http://www.medeshafirearms.com/serv01.htm
IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

Re: Got My Side Cocker DPMS .308 Together

Nice looking build. Medesha is primo too. What handguard is that ? List the parts that you used in your build. Barrel type, length. twist and all other parts etc... Great pics!

I like the looks of the side-cockers. Can you still use the charge handle to cycle it?

The handguard is DPMS they are the only ones that make the tall rail for their tall railed upper.
The charging handle still works the same as always, I just don't see a reason to use it anymore.
The upper is all DPMS, 1 in 10 it was a 24.

From another post...
I just cut my 24" DPMS .308 barrel to 20".
I used a hack saw then a file and squared it off with Brownells 90° muzzle facing cutter,
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18289/Product/90_deg__MUZZLE_FACING_CUTTER___STEEL_PILOT
Then I finished it off with an 79 degree cutter.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2614/pid=628/sku/3_4__79__Crown_Cutter
It takes a bit of time but anyone with a little patientce can do it, and then you have the tools to do other barrels.
IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

no way! you shortened your barrel with hand tools and it looks like that? that's freaking awesome man. I can't wait for a range report. thanks for the nice pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lentuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The handguard is DPMS they are the only ones that make the tall rail for their tall railed upper.
The charging handle still works the same as always, I just don't see a reason to use it anymore.
The upper is all DPMS, 1 in 10 it was a 24.

From another post...
I just cut my 24" DPMS .308 barrel to 20".
I used a hack saw then a file and squared it off with Brownells 90° muzzle facing cutter,
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18289/Product/90_deg__MUZZLE_FACING_CUTTER___STEEL_PILOT
Then I finished it off with an 79 degree cutter.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2614/pid=628/sku/3_4__79__Crown_Cutter
It takes a bit of time but anyone with a little patientce can do it, and then you have the tools to do other barrels.
IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

</div></div>

wicked awesome use of somewhat primitive tools. does anyone offer a leftside cocking upper with right hand ejecting port and without the need for the vestigial useless rear charging handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wicked awesome use of somewhat primitive tools. does anyone offer a leftside cocking upper with right hand ejecting port and without the need for the vestigial useless rear charging handle? </div></div>

Yeah, LWRC REPR.

I have been looking for something like this, as soon as that shop opens its doors again I am sending my rifle in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know I think I perfer no external moving parts!?!? </div></div>

You are the second gentleman to say something like this, to each their own, I guess you have never shot an auto loading pistol?
The slide moving back toward your face every shot must scare the hell out of you! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lentuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know I think I perfer no external moving parts!?!? </div></div>

You are the second gentleman to say something like this, to each their own, I guess you have never shot an auto loading pistol?
The slide moving back toward your face every shot must scare the hell out of you! LOL</div></div>

LOL, Touche!

Well I believe lentuk covered it as well but for one that brass shooting out of the side of the gun will remind you not to hold it there and number two, have you ever fired an AK, SKS, 10-22? or any other auto loading rifle? AR's are one of the few that doesn’t have a side cocking method from the factory. A good point to the newer piston systems is non-reciprocating charging handles. I have shot both with and without the side cocking method on AR-10's and I prefer them. My LR-308 is going to the shop to have it done as well. It makes loading and clearing he weapon a lot easier from behind it. Plus I keep having to move my dag blamed cheek rest to lock the bolt to the rear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That BCG jumping back and forth.....kinda spooky </div></div>No, my SCAR is setup this way from the factory, and it is a non issue. You just don't want to put your thumb in the way...

But it is cool as it doubles as a forward assist.

tag for range report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That BCG jumping back and forth.....kinda spooky </div></div>No, my SCAR is setup this way from the factory, and it is a non issue. You just don't want to put your thumb in the way...

But it is cool as it doubles as a forward assist. </div></div>

Well my REPR is not jumping back and forth....I dont have that added "opportunity" do snap off a digit.

To each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag for range report </div></div>

Vortex Viper....waiting....waiting.....

I don't know about snapping off a digit, but the charging handle is in a much better spot for operating. I don't find the AR charging handles to be very conveniently located, but to each their own.