• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Got my SS 3-9 X scope in today

G21322635

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2006
Oklahoma City
I put it in the freezer for a test for 30 minutes and it fogged up and froze like a popsicle is that what it is supposed to do how do I check for fogging if not that way? Thanks

Re: Got my SS 3-9 X scope in today

To be fog resistant it needs to be purged with either nitrogen or argon gas. If there is a leak and the gas escapes, it is now prone to fog. Does it say the scope is waterproof? To add to your freezer test, you could try submerging it in 2-3 inches of water and seeing if any gets inside. That would show if there is a leak... Otherwise give SWFA a call.

I guess I will call them Friday got the scope today after all the good reviews here and looks like it is not fog proof after all. I think it is very clear glass and like the ffp feature first scope for me on that. Will give SWFA chance to talk about it.

I just got this from Chris great response time I will find out the temp and get back with him.
Wow, that is unheard of for that scope. Did it fog externally or internally? How long did it take for the fog to go away?
Can you describe the temperature change in degrees that it went from?
I’ll go test a sun shade now.
We’ll take care of you so don’t worry.

Chris

SWFA, Inc.

That's got to make you feel good.

Glad to hear they stand behind their product!

I've got two of the 3-9X42 SS scopes and have used them straight from a warm truck to 14 degrees F and had no problems with fogging. Cold air will not hold as much moisture as warm air. If there is moisture inside an optic it can show up as fogging inside when taken into a cold space. A cold scope taken into a warmer space may get condensation on it just like a cold beer glass at the beach and it needs to be wiped down before returning to the cold.

Did it fog up on the inside or outside?
smile.gif

outside nothing inside better today after I ready up more. Tested it side by side at 6X with an IOR fixed 6x and better with the zoom so will keep it.

Scope_Nazi.jpg

Can't believe I got to use this twice in one week.

"Can't believe I got to use this twice in one week."

Now that's funny!

Maybe he was thinking about that RainGuard stuff from Bushnell.

Mike

Seriously though. We hear this all the time and it is a common misconception in regards to what "fogging" is.

Just about all scopes are purged with nitrogen or argon gas to keep them from fogging internally during normal temperature changes that a human would encounter in the field.

Extreme temperature changes will cause scopes to fog externally, some do it less if they have proprietary patented hydrophobic coatings on the lenses. Scopes with these coatings also recover more quickly to external fogging.

There are some products on the market that you can apply to your lens to cut down on this happening and they are really useful for binoculars that fog up from the heat of your eye socket.

http://swfa.com/Parkers-Perfect-Accessories-C1021.aspx

If the scope freezer guy will e-mail or PM me I will send you a pile of these anti fog things if you promise to keep our scopes out of the freezer and or oven.

These freezer tests always crack me up. What the heck do you think is going to happen if you freeze a scope and then put it in warm air.
smile.gif

I keep my binos in my jacket when I am hunting in freezing temps for the same reason. If not as soon as they go up to my eyes they fog up.

You have to hop into the freezer with the scope to see if it fogs.
LOL about the oven.
Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the scope freezer guy will e-mail or PM me I will send you a pile of these anti fog things if you promise to keep our scopes out of the freezer and or oven. </div></div>

ROFL! I've never heard of a freezer/oven test before, but I would think external fogging as a result of such tests would be considered normal for such extreme temperature changes...

Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes and then took it out. Never put it in the oven. Mounted it this weekend and now I have to zero the scope. I just need a place close to Raleigh with a 200 yard range at least for a good zero. Nice scope.

What's this I hear about an illuminated 3x9 coming out?

Someone mentioned it but I can't find it anywhere.

I kind of like my scopes mounted on the rifles, and not in the fridge.
whistle.gif