• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

Re: Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

Haven't received my Terrapin yet but am already kicking around modification ideas...

anybody know if the Vectronix or Ashbury night vision adaptor will fit a Swarovski doubler to the -05 (like Davide's 10C)?

Thanks

DSCN4138.jpg

DSCN4134.jpg

I am very interested in any such mods....

I don't know if this would work...

AshburyIntl_Night-Vision-Interface-NVI-Mount-PLRF_3.jpg

Substitute the doubler for the PVS-14?

AshburyIntl_Night-Vision-Interface-NVI-Mount-PLRF_2.jpg

This is Shawn Carlock's rig:

RANGEFINDERWEB1.jpg

Mate got 4919 yards from hands in not very fair conditions, real thing!

terrapin-5ky-1.jpg

terrapin-5ky-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dallas320i</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate got 4919 yards from hands in not very fair conditions, real thing!

terrapin-5ky-1.jpg

terrapin-5ky-2.jpg

</div></div>
Too cool! I too have got over 4900 yards in certain conditions.
Elmer

elmerdeer that is amazing, esp since the line of sight is pretty unclear due to what looks like less than clear conditions. Probably because the target was a large building... clearly shows the beam divergence of the PLRF is as tight as they spec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dallas320i</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate got 4919 yards from hands in not very fair conditions, real thing!

terrapin-5ky-1.jpg

terrapin-5ky-2.jpg

</div></div>

Unless someone has a round that will go the lion's sfare of 3 miles.....I think we are golden.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless someone has a round that will go the lion's sfare of 3 miles.....I think we are golden. </div></div>
And 5x magnification isn't enough, even Vector 7x mag will not help. But you will know what distance to those forest or hill, this is a real deal in compare to another devices. I am pretty sure Terrapin is really valuable purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you say they compare to the:

Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Victory RF Binoculars (10x45 T RF)

Are the numbers any easier to read? How does the aiming circle compare?
--
</div></div>

Can anyone chime in here?

Toying with the ideal of selling my older Leica 1200 LRF and maybe these binoculars to pay for the Terrapin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you say they compare to the:

--
</div></div>

Can anyone chime in here?

Toying with the ideal of selling my older Leica 1200 LRF and maybe these binoculars to pay for the Terrapin.</div></div>

I cant say for the Terrapin yet. But my friend has the Zeiss binoculars. Wont even match the Bushnell's Fusion 1600 ARC. I still would take my Bushnell's 1600's over anything that I have. I have Swaro and Lecia 1600. Swaro has gone back twice, and the first pair of Lecia had to go back as well. They are all for sale and jumped on the group buy for 05's

What would you rather have on a sheep hunt? The Zeiss or the Bushnell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you rather have on a sheep hunt? The Zeiss or the Bushnell?</div></div>

I've owned the Leica Geovid's and the Bushnell's.

If hunting sheep, I'd take the Geovid's, they had better glass for the glassing part of the hunt and would range reliably as far as I'd be willing to shoot a sheep. Let's say 750 yards. Beyond that they were hit and miss.

Now if I was LR shooting and the ranging portion was more important, I'd take the Bushnell's every time. The Leica's struggled at 1,000 on anything. I ranged a tree at 1697 yards multiple times with the Bushnell's. The Bushnell's made the Leica's hide in shame when it came to range finding.

And Swarovski out ranges both those but still has its limitations due to its wide beam especially on flat land with obsticles before and after the wanted target .I just placed my order for the Terrapin - lets hope the package arrives without the wife seeing it - seriously lol - whats with those wives huh???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you say they compare to the:

--
</div></div>

I have the Zeiss RF binos, and the glass is awesome. However, it's ranging accuracy degrades after 700 yards or so. I'm hoping that the Terrapin will be better, and am also interested if anyone has actual experience to compare.

VKC, the TERRIPIN is just getting warmed up at 750. I have a Leica 1200 and the two should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph.

Ordered a Tan colored Terrapin on December 14. The Terrapin showed up today January 11. If the weather holds and I can get in and out of the BLM land where I shoot, I will give it a go this weekend.
Since I sold my Swaro and I have been waiting on the Terrapin I have been ranging with my GPS. The GPS ranging has been working very well. My data lines up perfectly with the GPS determined range out to my current max of 1300 meters. It will be interesting to compare the GPS and the Terrapin. I am going to run try running the Terrapin from a tri-pod mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered a Tan colored Terrapin on December 14. The Terrapin showed up today January 11. If the weather holds and I can get in and out of the BLM land where I shoot, I will give it a go this weekend.
Since I sold my Swaro and I have been waiting on the Terrapin I have been ranging with my GPS. The GPS ranging has been working very well. My data lines up perfectly with the GPS determined range out to my current max of 1300 meters. It will be interesting to compare the GPS and the Terrapin. I am going to run try running the Terrapin from a tri-pod mount. </div></div>

looking forward to hearing your results !

This thread has sold me on the Terrapin its going on the top of the things to get
What do people think the Terrapin real world range distances would be in the mountains in different weather conditions???

key word in your question is 'weather conditions' ... the variables are sunlight vs none, snow/rain/fog/mist vs clear. Sunlight doesn't seem to diminish the Terra's ability to range out to about 2000 yards, no matter what you are ranging no matter the sunlight angle.

Haven't experienced fog/mist yet. Heavy snow flakes could really cut down range, or not if the laser can find a path thru all the flakes if you're lucky. Be fun to test.

my tan terrapin was waiting for me when i got home from brazil last night. I took it for a spin around town today and was really impressed. the small reticle makes it SO much more useful than my swaro. and equally importantly, it is SO much faster than the swaro.

and i didn't even know it had a NV mode. that will be very useful for me!

by the way, the manual has a picture showing the terrapin with a pvs14 in front of it. not clear how it's attached though as the pic is small

i'm satisfied so far. (i'd be extremely satisfied if it were cheaper)

Two questions:

First, does the Terrapin calculate the line-of-sight distance to the target or the horizontal distance? I've seen different people say different things about this.

MikeP states the Terrapin calculates only line-of-sight distance. https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3032444#Post3032444

Sendero_man states the Terrapin provides a "corrected distance" to the target based on elevation, which suggests to me that what you are actually getting is the horizontal distance to the target. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2862671#Post2862671 Perhaps I am just misreading Sendero_man's post?

I note that the Terrapin manual uses the term "slope distance", and there is a brochure from Vectronix for the PLRF 10C (the one with the built-in inclinometer) that appears to define "slope/slant distance" as the line-of-sight distance, as opposed to the horizontal distance:
plrf.jpg

http://vectronix.ch/userupload/850_PLRF_Brochure_EN.pdf

I would assume that the PLRF 10C is able to calculate horizontal distance based on the the line-of-sight distance, the angle measured by the internal inclinometer, and a cosine function. I can't tell whether the Terrapin has an internal inclinometer, but if it doesn't, I don't know how it would be capable of measuring anything other than the line-of-sight distance. Perhaps someone from PRG could weigh in on this issue?

Second, when ranging a target, does the shooter care more about the horizontal distance or the line-of-sight distance? From a practical standpoint, if the line-of-sight distance to my target is 1000 yards, but the target is at a 30 degree angle above me, the horizontal distance is only going to be about 870 yards. Which distance do I need to plug into my scope?

Thanks for any input folks can provide on these questions.

I took the Terrapin out for my Saturday morning shoot. Two targets were placed and marked with a way point on the GPS.
From the shooting position the first target read .99km with the GPS. The Terrapin ranged this target easily at 991 meters. This target was a 10" circle.
From the shooting position the second target read 1.31km with the GPS. This target is a half meter square (a little over 19.5" square) The biggest problem ranging this target was holding the Terrapin still. I tried mounting the Terrapin on a spotting scope base and tripod. The adjustment knobs on the tripod needed to be in different position and interfered with getting behind the eye piece. With all the movement I was able to get a reading of 1315-1320 meters.
As always the wind can and was the most difficult variable at the 1300+ distance but solid hits were eventually placed on target.

Any suggestions on a tripod for the range finder?

Re the definition of slope distance, I have been meaning to contact Vectronix about this, and will try and do so this week.

If you wikipedia the term 'slope distance' it's also the same as the PRLF10 definition which is not the distance corrected for look angle, but rather the hypotenuse of the triangle.

I was looking at Ashbury. They appear to be difficult for civilians to purchase. I will send an e-mail to Potomac and see if they will quote a price.

contact PGS... ask him what his tripod and head are that he uses for his Spotter, Vector, cameras....

It is impressive and very affordable compared to the Ashbury.

Rich Brough from Monoloc intends to market a coupler to attach the Swarovski doubler to the Terrapin as soon as he can get access to one -- something like this:

DSCN4607.jpg

His Monoloc coupler for the I-Phone, mated to a Swarovski HD spotting scope allowed us to send live-feed on a target over 2 miles away (60X spotter eye-piece + 5X I-Phone magnification = 300X magnification)

I'd be interested in that. I hope Rich does it.

me too, that is pretty interesting.

I will do send PGS a message. Thanks.

First impression, the Terrapin makes up for the magnification difference with very good, clear optics. It definitely ranges farther than advertised on hard, reflective surfaces in bright, cloudless conditions (including over snow). To me it is worth the price (half the PLRF-10) for the line-of-sight click-and-range capability.

The Swaro cycles faster and the number display is larger. I would still feel supremely confident ranging hard targets for range cards or to soft/furry targets to at least 900 yards under similar conditions.

Thank you, Sendero Man, cali_tz, and Alina -- you guys are champs!!!

I played with the Terrapin today. I range a building at 4071 meters. Water towers at 2240. This does range farther than I expected. The Swaro and the Lecia does it job but when getting close to advertise yardage. They fall short.

I bought a Newcom 4000 about a year ago and It suck. It wouldn't range half of what I did today.

The Terrapin I feel is worth the money.

My Terrapin just arrived so going to have a play tonight -who thought measuring distances could make you excited ???

I to date have got 4300 yards but have had problems getting over 2km when conditions get less than perfect --does that worry me,hell no!!! luv this machine

hows this for freehand ranging with the terrapin (wasn't as dark as the picture shows... must have not been lined up when I took the pic)

right before dark off some trees in the distance. I had 4719 but couldn't find the same tree when I busted out the camera. It was ranging those distances on every click! I'm impressed!
photo-5-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I to date have got 4300 yards but have had problems getting over 2km when conditions get less than perfect --does that worry me,hell no!!! luv this machine </div></div>

I have had trouble at times with bright sunlight coming in at angles to the main lens. In these conditions I may not be able to range past about 2000-2400 meters depending on the object being ranged. At minimum on these conditions I can range at least 2000 yards no matter what is being targeted. And 99% of the time I am able to range any object out to about 2400 yards. I remain very satisfied with the performance and value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I to date have got 4300 yards but have had problems getting over 2km when conditions get less than perfect --does that worry me,hell no!!! luv this machine </div></div>

I have had trouble at times with bright sunlight coming in at angles to the main lens. In these conditions I may not be able to range past about 2000-2400 meters depending on the object being ranged. At minimum on these conditions I can range at least 2000 yards no matter what is being targeted. And 99% of the time I am able to range any object out to about 2400 yards. I remain very satisfied with the performance and value.</div></div>
I wonder if you put a paper-made sun-shade on the main lens, and thus defend against the unfriendly sun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder if you put a paper-made sun-shade on the main lens, and thus defend against the unfriendly sun? </div></div>

Mouse it certainly wouldn't hurt, but I suspect alot of those sun rays incident at some angle to the lens would bounce off the lens due to the... it's photons coming into the lens parallel with your laser reflection that are most confusing to the IR sensor.

tried out the Terrapin yesterday in some rainy conditions... here the first pic is the zoomed in pic showing the bldg structure I was trying to range:

and here is the un-zoomed showing the general conditions overall:

I was able to range this small target the first time at 1800 yards just holding the Terrapin, no tripod. About a minute later more low clouds moved in, and while I could see the same structure through the Terrapin lens, albeit less clearly, I could not range even after repeated attempts. My hands were not as steady these attempts and I knew I was not doing a good job of keeping the bubble on the target. Also it was light rain during all these attempts. I'd say the low foggy clouds were the enemy to getting a range confirmed in this case. The rain probably wasn't helping either. I suspect the PRLF10, 15 or 25 would have punched through the cloud cover and gotten this range.

In these same conditions I was able to range anything out to around 1400-1500 yards, just not out to 1800. Later that afternoon when it got dark and skys cleared up, I was back to 4000 yards ranging in that same area.

Look guys, all these previous post are Bullshit! I think it's pretty well understood the quality of these units, yet no one is posting how well the terrapin is ranging whatever particular target ( larue sniper target, IPSC torso, 12" plate), whatever, within your weapon's effective range. Also how well your first (or second) round hit probability has improved while engaging targets at unknown distances. Was'nt that the main reason for investing in a quality unit in the first place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyfishguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look guys, all these previous post are Bullshit! I think it's pretty well understood the quality of these units, yet no one is posting how well the terrapin is ranging whatever particular target ( larue sniper target, IPSC torso, 12" plate), whatever, within your weapon's effective range. Also how well your first (or second) round hit probability has improved while engaging targets at unknown distances. Was'nt that the main reason for investing in a quality unit in the first place? </div></div>

That's exactly why I bought the Tarrapin! My Swaro wouldn't range a 2 moa steel reliably past 600Y. One of my goals has always been to set up a steel, walk away, range it at practically any distance and practice first round hits. Hopefully I can now. We'll see here in the next few weeks.

Ok, here ya go. I ranged a 12 by 12 inch square steel plate at 980 yards this morning. Conditions were overcast and light fog. First Rd hit 338/408.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyfishguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look guys, all these previous post are Bullshit! I think it's pretty well understood the quality of these units, yet no one is posting how well the terrapin is ranging whatever particular target ( larue sniper target, IPSC torso, 12" plate), whatever, within your weapon's effective range. Also how well your first (or second) round hit probability has improved while engaging targets at unknown distances. Was'nt that the main reason for investing in a quality unit in the first place? </div></div>

There have been posts talking about actual target ranging results. And obviously first round performance has gotten better to a point it could never get to when you were mil ranging vs LRF ranging. That goes without saying. The Terrapin doesn't guarantee a mile hit on 12x12 target, but it does give you accurate range so your dope is right. The rest is up to your wind reading and eqpt and skills.

Ranged a 36 by 36 inch steel plate today at 1770 yards. first rd went into a 10 inch white circle on red background. That gave me my fix for the day so I went back to the house. 338/408.

Augustus, that is pretty awesome first hit. I am happy at a mile with first hit on my 24x24... myself I'd only feel lucky if I hit the center mass. Because I know almost surely the next one won't.

I certainly don't expect to do that every time. There are too many variables pushing around on that little bitty hunk of copper. Even an old blind sow finds an acorn once in a while.