• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got the AK itch, looking for some advice.

I'm thinking that I'll go with one of the Manticore triangle stocks with a Stormwerks (sp?) folder.

bm11,

Do you reload? Part of the reason for the generally poor accuracy of the AK variants is the crappy ammo.

Hornady makes a 123gr ZMAX in .310 that is very accurate and comparatively cheap. Put that into Winchester, IMI, or Lapua 7.62x39 brass, mount a scout scope on the rear sight block and you will be amazed what an AK can do without much fuss.

If you prefer the 5.45x39, pull the bullets out of the cheap steel-cased ammo and put 69 Barnes Matchburners or 70gr Berger VLDs over BLC(2). This yields <.5MOA load out of a re-barreled AR15 and slighly below 1 MOA out of a scoped but otherwise run of the mill Bulgarian AK74.

To get some ideas for accurizing the gun itself, search on gunco for a guy with the handle of 1biggun. He got amazing accuracy from his custom AK builds. If you have the skills and interest to build one yourself, go with an Yugo RPK parts kit on an 1.5mm receiver blank, a new US barrel (most original Yugo barrels look like sewer pipes from the corrosive ammo), and a scope rail on the side of the receiver. The other option would be to build a Beryl clone with a solid Picatinny rail going from the rear sight block to the back of the receiver.

Last edited:
Eh, not looking to reload, part of the reason I bought an AK was cheap ammo. I'm not planning on benching the gun, and 4 moa is still tighter than I can shoot offhand, so I'm not really worried about accuracy.

In other news, Midwest Industries is supposed to be offering a T-1 top rail for the M92 soon, which is great!

Get a SIG 556R if you want a real rifle in the 7.62 X 39 flavor.

I had an Arsenal SAM-7 which was an excellent AK but it was still an AK ( crappy trigger, crude sights and short radius, so-so accuracy , and crappy ergonomics if you are taller than 5' ). I sold it and picked up a SIG 556R.
IF you get a Sig make sure you get a current production gun or a 2nd generation rifle because the initial rifle had multiple issues. I had an original 1st generation gun that went back to Sig three different times and they ended up replacing it with a new production rifle.

The SIG had MUCH better ergonomics for an adult, folding stock, better sight option ( whatever you want ), trigger and is WAY more accurate than any AK I have fired or owned. There is a new 556 XI that is modular if you want or need those option but the 556R suits me fine. I have a 556 SWAT in .223 and the 556R in the same configuration.

I too enjoy my Sig 556R. Reliable and accurate. Samson rail lets me use my clip on NV and illuminators. Many a hog has meet it's end from this rifle. Like Cal50 said make sure you get a new production rifle or at least the second gen model. Sig did themselves a horrible disservice by letting the early models out the door without testing. Killed initial sales and the Internet is still littered with out-of-date negative info.

The feg Hungarian amd65 is another good option as well. Well built stock weapon. Great platform to build off of.

Get a arsenal sa m5 or m7. These milled ak are very accurate. M7 (7.62x39) gives an additional punch on targets. Milled ones are generally more demage resistant, and tends to be more accurate (for ak)

Going with the T1 setup for co-witness on the M92 as well? I envy you, that was my first choice ofcourse, but due to the cost factor I went with the Burris Fast Fire 2 setup. All in all I really like it, I have never lost zero after thousands of rounds so I would say that MI did a great job in the design of the handguard.

By the way, What kind of ammo are you shooting out of it? I have tried just about every kind over the years and I would say my favorite is the Golden Tiger brand, I pick mine up by the case at sgammo.com for a great price.

Those PAP pistols are pretty slick for the money, a little easier on the hand than the micro Draco also. I've thought about SBR-ing one of my micros, that would be a cool pistol.

As for rifles, I've sold a few of the N and O-Pap versions lately and while I'm not a big AK fan, they are nice.

No way I'd spend that much for a milled AK such as a Arsenal, just don't see it..