• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got this in an email this morning:

catswithguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Thought this was kind of cool.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EuD2yBtxM2I?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice idea but I see 2 problems

1. Not a lot of ammo comes in boxes like that.

2. It's $90!!!

I can see it being very useful in the 3 gun world where quick reloads between rounds are needed.

Nice idea but I see 2 problems

1. Not a lot of ammo comes in boxes like that.

2. It's $90!!!

I can see it being very useful in the 3 gun world where quick reloads between rounds are needed.

I'm with you, and I typically don't go for "gimmicky" stuff like this, especially mag-loaders. I figured I've loaded enough mags by hand that it's not going to kill me. However, years ago when I was trying to scrape together the money/ammo for the Magpul carbine series, the thought ran through my mind that loading 2000rds or so of 5.56 in a 3 day class was going to be a BITCH. For high-volume courses like that, I could see something like this making the overall experience a lot more enjoyable. (Magpul reduced the amount of ammo needed for those courses after the ammo-crunch, but I think it was like 2500rds rifle/ 500rds pistol for a 3 day course IIRC--I never made it.)

They should make a version that takes 10 round stripper clips rather than 50 round MTM boxes.

Even if you don't have the boxes and take the time to load them directly into that speed loader, then load the mag, you would nearly be done with the old fashion way one by one. This thing has to be loaded, so it can load the mag. cool, but I don't see it being a hot ticket item.

Midway already have these listed on their site (since Midway, Battenfeld, Caldwell, etc. are all in bed together anyway) at a price of $79.99 (plus their @#$% S&H it'll get you to nearly $100 shipped), and that apparently includes an "ammo transfer tray" to assist with ammo that's packed tip-down or otherwise not ready to chuck in this gadget right off the bat.

That's a hell of a lot of money for a mag loader of ANY flavor unless you are truly running and gunning through a truck-load of ammo in a short period of time. Even for 3-gun purposes...I'll pass, but there may well be some merit to an intensive carbine class over a matter of a few days when you'd be far better off on the line training/shooting than off to the side reloading mags for an extended period of time.

Unfortunately, I'm nearly certain without even having laid eyes/hands on these yet that they'll likely suffer from the same generally inferior quality that many of the products made by Battenfeld, Caldwell, Wheeler Eng., A&B, etc. Some of their ideas, at least in concept, are really pretty handy, but their execution is...well...lacking at times thanks to Chinese production and seemingly poor QC at least at times.

For anyone interested...here the Midway link where you can get on the notify list if you are so inclined: Caldwell Mag Charger AR-15 Mag Loader

^^ Those have been "COMING SOON" for about 6mo now and I have yet to see one for sale anywhere...same for the new/improved Armalite AR-10 pattern loader. ^^

If you know of a US source for these now...post it up by all means. Inquiring minds want to know (and BUY!!). ;)