• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gov. Mike DeWine Signs Bill Allowing Armed Teachers in Ohio Schools

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

Gov. Mike DeWine (R) signed legislation Monday to allow school staff and teachers to be armed for classroom defense.

On June 4, 2022, Breitbart News reported that Ohio lawmakers had expedited legislation to arm teachers following the May 24, 2022, Uvalde, Texas, school shooting.

DeWine made clear he would sign the legislation and 10 WBNS noted DeWine saying, “That’s our commitment to our schools, to our parents [and] to our students.”

The Columbus Dispatch reports that DeWine signed the legislation Monday.

The new law lowers “the required training hours for armed school personnel from about 700 hours to four scenario-based training hours, plus a maximum of 20 hours for first-aid training, history of school shootings and reunification education.”

The streamlined training requirements mean teachers can be armed for classroom defense when school starts this fall.

The New York Times notes that the legislation does not force schools to arm teachers. Schools that do not want staff and teachers armed can still bar them from carrying guns for classroom defense.

Armed teachers, you mean the one's trying to convince your son that he is actually a girl ??????? Yea I see this going well .....

This is nothing new in Ohio. They just clarified the law and made it a more formal process.

I know lots of teachers. Not one is trying to tell a boy he is a girl...or visa versa. Cool deal arming them and hopefully training them and then having them carry concealed at work/in school so a mass murderer can just guess whos gonna plant him 3 seconds after he opens fire. My experience is that these mass murdering types tend to go where they are certain no one is armed or can stop them - cowards. The simple fact that any teacher they see might empty a Glock 19 at them will probably have them seeking death and destruction at a more vulnerable place. Plus we begin to recruit teachers to the "Being Armed at all times is My Right!" mentality which is *WAY* more helpful than grooming them to be victims.

VooDoo

Reactions: Bryan W M
My brother is a teacher in AZ. He’s been a 2 and 3 Gun competitor for a decade and I know he’d do what he had to do to save the kids, with or without a firearm. Sadly, AZ won’t pass it even though Utah and I think New Mexico have it.

That said, I think where it’s legal it’s a good idea to run them through vigorous training, both active shooter and mindset training with periodic re-certification. Teachers don’t need to be soldiers, but they better have the right skills and mindset to execute under stress, especially when tunnel vision starts to set in.

I would like to see TN pass teacher carry.

Edit: changed police to teachers

Last edited: