• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gradous Rifles .260 Rem. Build - PIC HEAVY

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
Recently drove over to Hephzibah, GA to see Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifles. I had been contact with him about my build for the last few months as the parts arrived. I chose to have Robert make my parts into a .260 Rem masterpiece. I had done my research on Robert and concluded that he was a solid smith and a solid person. We settled on a date and after waking up at 0230 hours, I made the 3.5 hour drive.

Robert's shop
Gradous260Rembuild001.jpg

We laid out all the parts:
Surgeon 591 S/A
Krieger 6.5mm 8.5 twist MTU 29" blank cut to 24"
Surgeon bottom metal
Mcmillan A-5 loaded out in GAP camo (thanks JW Precsion!)
Jewell HVR set to 1.25lbs. (best trigger I have pulled)

Robert began taking all the necessary measurements of the action, bolt lugs, and face to ensure an optimal action/barrel fit. Next came squaring up the blank in the lathe.
Gradous260Rembuild002.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild004.jpg

First cut
Gradous260Rembuild005.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild007.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild009.jpg

Now all threaded up and ready to be chambered.
Gradous260Rembuild010.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild011.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild012.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild013.jpg

A rather intriguing process.

url]

url]

url]

All done
url]

Now for clean 45 degree recessed crown
url]

url]

url]

url]

I watched Robert thread, chamber, and crown my barrel for 2.75 hours. He was very precise and I was most impressed by his craftsmanship. I do a pretty good job at reading people and their intentions. I could tell that Robert cared about his work, like he was working on something for himself. And not just job. Anyways on with it...

The action was mated up the barrel and checked for proper fitting with the stock.
url]

The stock was then stripped of its hardware (thumbwheel, nuts and, bolts).
url]

The barreled action, bottom metal, and stock hardware were sandblasted and ready to be painted.
url]

url]

url]

url]

I chose OD Cerakote. Robert was meticulous about the humidity and temperature of his custom made paint booth during painting.
url]

url]

All of the parts were then baked/cured for over an hours at 300 degrees.

Might machine oil was massaged into the Cerkote to help removed any over spray.
url]

I thought it looked perfect, but it wasn't good enough for Robert's taste. I thought he did an excellent job on the application of the Cerakote.

After everything cooled down, Robert began whipping up some Marine tex. Robert applied the bedding and tightened things down to let it set up over night. One again he was meticulous on where and how much of the bedding was applied. He did an excellent job on cleanup.
url]

url]

He taught me a few things about the right way to bed a rifle. These are characteristics that I did not see in other bedding jobs including one I had done by a well known smith and paid a pretty penny for it. The things Robert showed me made complete sense.

Next day we pulled it down and the bedding was beautiful and stress free. Robert began to clean it up.
url]

url]

url]

Next was the engraving process...making it a complete Gradous rifle.
url]

Now ready to be shot.
url]

Not quite.
Robert reminded me that the bedding still need to cure to be 100%. Robert thought I "was in the ditch" about not being able to shoot it. Well who wouldn't...
wink.gif
But I understood. And as much as it was killing me, I drove her home. Then had to wait several more days at work without being able to shoot it.
Finally I got to the range and was immediately impressed. Second load I tested (3 rounds only just to get a feel for things) was .25 moa.

I have Put 165 Rounds through it to date. H4831SC and H4350 are what I have tried so far with 139 Scenars, 142 SMK, and 140 Berger BTLR. Using only Norma brass and neck sizing only. My batch of Norma is very consistent and as about 7-8 grains heavier than Remington brass. There is no drastic shift in POI from load to load at most .5moa shift. It pretty much shoots everything in the same spot and nothing has shot over .6moa. 90% of the groups so far are sub .4moa. I have achieved several amazing 5 round groups in the high .1s and mid .2s at 100y. It's a friggin hammer. I have not taken it further yet. Chrono'ed some of the loads and already have SDs or 6 and 9. More pics to come of the targets, but I wanted to get this thread up and running.

This is my first experience with Robert Gradous and God willing not the last. I think he is a top tier smith without a doubt, and builds a serious piece of craftsmanship. A few things I learned quick about Robert Gradous: He says what he means and he means what he says, If he ain't worried neither should you, he's a simple guy, and very smart. I would recommend him to anyone.

Re: Gradous Rifles .260 Rem. Build - PIC HEAVY

A rather intriguing process.
Gradous260Rembuild014.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild015.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild016.jpg

All done
Gradous260Rembuild017.jpg

Now for clean 45 degree recessed crown
Gradous260Rembuild018.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild019.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild020.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild021.jpg

I watched Robert thread, chamber, and crown my barrel for 2.75 hours. He was very precise and I was most impressed by his craftsmanship. I do a pretty good job at reading people and their intentions. I could tell that Robert cared about his work, like he was working on something for himself. And not just job. Anyways on with it...

The action was mated up the barrel and checked for proper fitting with the stock.
Gradous260Rembuild022.jpg

The stock was then stripped of its hardware (thumbwheel, nuts and, bolts).
Gradous260Rembuild023.jpg

The barreled action, bottom metal, and stock hardware were sandblasted and ready to be painted.
b4e9acb7.jpg

a6bcddb7.jpg

266b240c.jpg

75b14061.jpg

I chose OD Cerakote. Robert was meticulous about the humidity and temperature of his custom made paint booth during painting.
476157e7.jpg

3abf4226.jpg

All of the parts were then baked/cured for over an hours at 300 degrees.

Might machine oil was massaged into the Cerkote to help removed any over spray.
Gradous260Rembuild028.jpg

I thought it looked perfect, but it wasn't good enough for Robert's taste. I thought he did an excellent job on the application of the Cerakote.

After everything cooled down, Robert began whipping up some Marine tex. Robert applied the bedding and tightened things down to let it set up over night. One again he was meticulous on where and how much of the bedding was applied. He did an excellent job on cleanup.
Gradous260Rembuild031.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild032.jpg

He taught me a few things about the right way to bed a rifle. These are characteristics that I did not see in other bedding jobs including one I had done by a well known smith and paid a pretty penny for it. The things Robert showed me made complete sense.

Next day we pulled it down and the bedding was beautiful and stress free. Robert began to clean it up.
Gradous260Rembuild034.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild038.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild040.jpg

Next was the engraving process...making it a complete Gradous rifle.
Gradous260Rembuild051.jpg

Now ready to be shot.
Gradous260Rembuild050.jpg

Not quite.
Robert reminded me that the bedding still need to cure to be 100%. Robert thought I "was in the ditch" about not being able to shoot it. Well who wouldn't... But I understood. And as much as it was killing me, I drove her home. Then had to wait several more days at work without being able to shoot it.
Finally I got to the range and was immediately impressed. Second load I tested (3 rounds only just to get a feel for things) was .25 moa.

I have Put 165 Rounds through it to date and have achieved several amazing groups in the high .1s and mid .2s at 100y. I have not taken it further yet. More pics to come of the targets, but I wanted to get this thread up and running.

This is my first experience with Robert Gradous and God willing not the last. I think he is a top tier smith without a doubt, and builds a serious piece of craftsmanship. A few things I learned quick about Robert Gradous: He says what he means and he means what he says, If he ain't worried neither should you, he's a simple guy, and very smart. I would recommend him to anyone.

19Scout77,

Thanks for the fix. I couldn't figure out why it was not showing all the pics or how to correct it. What gives?

Excellent - very informative and interesting and great to see good craftsmen at work.

Hope it continues to work out for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">19Scout77,

Thanks for the fix. I couldn't figure out why it was not showing all the pics or how to correct it. What gives? </div></div>

Too many pictures for one post. Gotta break it down to groups of 5 or 6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">19Scout77,

Thanks for the fix. I couldn't figure out why it was not showing all the pics or how to correct it. What gives? </div></div>

Too many pictures for one post. Gotta break it down to groups of 5 or 6 </div></div>

Actually, 10 is the limit per post.

Great write-up, thanks.

Here's a few pics of the groups. Got plenty more, but took a few quick pics of what I could. Ok please don't roast me for some obvious shooting fundamental issues, but all of these groups are with a rear bag and a bipod. Some are tough to tell but they are ALL 5 shot groups.

8d7e0968.jpg

dbdb817f.jpg

6118095f.jpg

Only if I hadn't pulled the last one...but I guess it happens to us all.
dfa9d49d.jpg

And one of my favorites...

c471e36b.jpg

It definitely out shoots me.

Great post!!!

Robert is a good guy - he knows his shit. He is very particular & meticulous in his work. If it ain't perfect, it ain't right to Robert!!

I have 2 rifles that he's going to build for me, just waiting on barrels & stocks.

That is one beautiful rifle and some great groups. Hope to build me a rifle like that someday.

Sweet. I know that was exciting to see it created right in front of you.

Congrats on a sweet stick!

Excellent post.. I love the pics, as well as, the detailed explantion of each picture.. Congrats on the rifle build, that's awesome that you got to see your build come alive..

Thanks for sharing..

Very nice. It's good to see that there are people who take pride in what they do. How about a pic of the finished product with scope?

Man, thats nice, you're lucky to have an awesome smithy like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, thats nice, you're lucky to have an awesome smithy like that. </div></div>

Robert is good people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. It's good to see that there are people who take pride in what they do. How about a pic of the finished product with scope? </div></div>

I'm glad you guys like it. Here are few pics of the entire setup.

Glass is a NXS 5.5-22x50 mike mike. Go easy on me about the rings. They are intentionally tall. They are NF 1.125". I had .885"s on it and it worked fine. The scope was almost touching the barrel...couldn't get a BC flip up to go on it too. With or with out the sun shade. 1.000" would work perfect but I plan on getting a 8-32x56 in the next few months. So I went ahead with the 1.125" which will fit like a glove on the x56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tango,

Really pretty rifle. I know she's a shooter.
Very glad you chose Robert.

No wind,
Terry </div></div>

Terry, I need to get one your pod-locs to keep this bipod in line....
smile.gif

The camera has been a big fail lately. Flash/lighting issues.
Hope these are ok.
Gradous260Rembuild002-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild003-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild004-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild005-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild006-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild009-1.jpg

Gradous260Rembuild010-1.jpg

I've spoken with Robert Gradous several times over the telephone, he's one sharp gentleman that doesnt miss much...if anything. Nice rifle you have there Tango.

Nice rifle. Great parts, great caliber and a first class rifle builder. All of the ingredients to happiness.
smile.gif

digging the custom made oil deflector he has on the cnc.

Tango, I had Mr. Gradous chamber 3 barrels on two Surgeon RSR actions, do stock work and assembly. And until you see his quality of work, care and effort, it is hard to explain. It is great to see other people recognize his talent .
And wow, what a nice shop. Did you notice the jaws on his chuck ? He is able to indicate his barrels without any stress !! Surgeon recomended him to me, that is how we met.

Well now I see why you are all about your .260 Tango, that is one sweet stick!

Jered thinks very highly of Robert and the man's skills. I only recently met Robert and was impressed with him. Real down to earth kinda guy and very knowledgeable about building rifles & machining in general.

Thanks for sharing pics of his work.

Wow! That shows some well due respect. You know he's doing something right when there are positive comments from; APA, Terry Cross and LA precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That shows some well due respect. You know he's doing something right when there are positive comments from; APA, Terry Cross and LA precision. </div></div>

Roger that. The guys at Surgeon also speak very highly of Robert. The man has it together.

Thanks for thr great write up on Mr Gradous.He seems to really have his shit together on rifle building.

I still want to make the time to do this... what a great idea.

Hopefully I will find a gap in schedule to get in on this in the near future.

What an experience... I was able to watch Moon build my 6.5 Creedmoor at GAP and it was fun to watch the whole process.

Congrats on the experience, rifle too.
laugh.gif

Tangodown911, look familiar?

I agree, Robert is one of the most knowledgeable & nicest rifle builders around. He has built a few for me and his work is top-notch! The Georgia boy knows his chit when it comes to building an accurate rifle. Check out his air conditioned shootin shack......

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

Couple questions??

From looking at his site, the build process is 3-4 days?

Where do you stay when you're there?

Does he provide lunch or do you run out during the day?

I'd speak to him before I made up my mind of course, just trying to get an idea how the whole process works. I'd love to see the whole process through from start to finish.

Very nice. That was great of him to let you hang around and take pictures of him at work like that.

There's a machine shop across the street from my office, and it doesn't look anywhere NEAR as clean as that shop does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple questions??

From looking at his site, the build process is 3-4 days?

Where do you stay when you're there?

Does he provide lunch or do you run out during the day?

I'd speak to him before I made up my mind of course, just trying to get an idea how the whole process works. I'd love to see the whole process through from start to finish. </div></div>Robert has a couple hundred acres and a guest house sitting over a pond on the property. Very nice accommodations! Also a 600 yard range if you wish to shoot longer distances. This place is like paradise for someone wishing to have Robert build a rifle and do some testing.

Nice thing about Gradous is once you pick-up or receive your rifle, there will be "no wondering" how it will shoot. It will be a tack-driver and Robert guarantees it. I am looking forward to my next Gradous rifle which will be completed shortly.

Couple more pics..

IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg

Reamer collection...

IMG_0017.jpg

One gets quite an education during a conversation with Robert. An extremely talented individual. To watch him during the entire rifle building process is a memorable experience. I highly recommend it to those who are fortunate enough to be able to.

i seriously cant believe that shooting shack/shed/house thing...so sweet...i have to move out of the burbs...

Thanks for the post. That is one clean shop. It looks like he is living the dream.

Well I got 217 rounds down the tube so far. It seems that it shoots many different loads rather well, I'm having a tough time choosing a load. Maybe you guys can weigh in on this. I have a few hammer loads that will shoot in the high .1s and mid .2s but they are with 4831sc and only producing speeds if 2680-2700. On the other hand I have h4350 loads that will shoot .320-.380 but they are in the 2820-2880 range. Both have single digit SDs like 4 and 6 so far. I'm using Norma brass and BR2s with 139 scenars, 142'smk, and Berger 140 BTLRs. Months ago and when the rifle was being built I asked Robert about bullet choice and told him I wanted to shoot the heavies. Robert humbly told me that it would shoot anything I fed it before he even built it. I must admit I had doubts in his statements but... He was right!

So what do you guys think is the way to go? Sacrafice a .150" give or take in accuracy to get more speed or go with the straightest shooting load?

I vote to pick the load that is mild enough to run in all conditions. you don't want a load that you have to change in the middle of summer.

Also i would try to put them both on paper or steel that you can measure out to at least 500yds.

If you are a match shooter test both loads with a hot barrel because odds are at some point in the match you will have a toasty barrel.

accuracy over speed any day for long range stuff.

42.0 grains of H4350 with BR2's and either Lapua Brass (243/308) or Nosler. 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">42.0 grains of H4350 with BR2's and either Lapua Brass (243/308) or Nosler. 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps. </div></div>

William what should my 24" barrel yield with this load? 43.5g was getting me 2840 at 55 degrees with 139 scenars. It will be next week sometime before I can test for myself.