• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Grandpa's old rifle...

joebino55

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Ft Benning, Georgia
Winchester M70 .30-06, SN:25xxx, 28" heavy barrel, scope says J.W. Fecker. Made in 1940 according to my google findings. It has spent at least the last 20 years just sitting at my parents house. My dad told me my grandpa used to brag that he could shoot groundhogs at 400 yards. Not sure about that but I am dying to go shoot this rifle. And yes that is a piece of heater hose on the scope. Apparently thats how grandpa set his eye relief.
smile.gif

Re: Grandpa's old rifle...

Your Photo-Foo sucks balls.

Now we have Sexy Pics, that is a thing of BEAUTY. HAVE SOME FUN WITH THAT RIFLE.

Very nice and ultracool. Vintage rifles are where its at.

Very nice looking setup, heater hose piece and all. If it works, why not? ha ha

Bet that Steel Butt Plate is gonna feel good on the shoulder. I had one on a Rem 700 in .308 and you knew it was there. Good Looking Weapon

Going to go shoot it today. I only have 100 yards to shoot at today but I'll at least zero and see how it groups.

Have fun, If you can find the book "Woodchucks and woodchuck Hunting" you'll see where that rifle came from. It will be a search, but worth it.

28inch heavy barrel makes it a bull gun, find yourself some fed 168 gr match rounds, federal dropped em a few years back but some are still floating around. Ill bet he was making 400 yard hits. that gun was state of art as it is a pre WWII gun, best money could buy and ran the show 1000 yard Wimbledon usually in .300 H@H mag .. 844 were made in 30-06

So I'm going to get some better ammo. These were shot with Winchester 150 gr power-point cheap hunting ammo. At least thats what I'm blaming it on until I put some good ammo through it and still suck. Started shooting the bottom right target and did not reset the scope between shots. Shot group 1, adjusted shot group 2, adjusted A LOT more, then shot 3, 4, and 5.

url]

And yes the steel butt plate feels good on the shoulder.

JB55,
Beautiful rig you got there. Congrats! Love the heater hose...

You have to reset the scope back to the stop everytime or it will not repeat. Unless that rig is shot out or the scope got whacked somewhere along the line, there is no reason it should not group and hold its own with a modern rig. Only with more style..

The 165's are a good recommendation. Federal still makes 06 match. Lake City 30-06 match M72 (White box with eagle) will shoot good too, but its considered collectors stuff now?!? so bring your check book for any of them. If you or a friend reloads, you will prob get that thing shooting sweet.
If you gonna shoot in the 150 g range, consider the Amer Eagle 150g boat tails. They shoot sweet in mine and they are on the shelf stuff.

Got the Lyman micrometer rear and globe front sites for it too? If not, they are out there and not a lot a cash. IMHO I think they are more fun to shoot with than that scope.

Enjoy,
DS

DS, I figured that out about the scope after shooting it a few times. Even then I still forgot a few times, it's just one of those things I'm not used to doing.

I will have to some more digging to see if the sights are still around.

I am going to order some Federal match ammo in the near future. Would be nice to know what it's really capable of.

always wanted that exact model rifle, didnt make to many of them, and when you see them for sale they are high...