• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Grant Mini Series

This is apparently based on the bio done by Ron Chernow
I liked that one better than American Ulysses by White. I think White made up his mind that everything Grant did was related to his alcoholism (which is not really even necessarily the case) and he shaped the entire 'bio around his supposed drinking problem. Chernow did a much better job... and it was interesting that the two were writing roughly at the same time and looked through two totally different lenses.

BTW, an excellent read is Victor Davis Hansen's "The Savior Generals." I did not like the part about Petreus because I think he is a bit of a weasel. But his analysis of Sherman is just excellent! And I won't disagree with his analysis of King David... but I just didn't like it.

I will look forward to Grant for sure!

Sirhr

Reactions: TACC
I Intend to DVR it for binge watch(es?).

When living Back East; Gettysburg was a family destination several times each year, along with Fort Pulaski.

Relics? Do show! We like relics!

sirhr
Union US ammunition box plate, Custer was at Haw's Shop battle, Confederate Infantry officers coat button (cast block "I") and kepi hat "I" button, knapsack J hooks, sword scabbard hooks, harmonica reeds.... Those thin straight tube looking things are metallic cannon fuses. Contained fulminate of mercury. After pulling the cord they were pulled out and thrown on the ground. I've got tons if these relics... Live in central Virginia.. Surrounded by battles fields.
IMG_20200524_214247493.jpg
IMG_20200524_214302355.jpg
IMG_20200524_214313238.jpg
IMG_20200524_214333784.jpg
IMG_20200524_214406653.jpg
IMG_20200524_214451501.jpg

Last edited:
Union US ammunition box plate, Custer was at Haw's Shop battle, Confederate Infantry officers coat button (cast block "I") and kepi hat "I" button, knapsack J hooks, sword scabbard hooks, harmonica reeds.... Those thin straight tube looking things are metallic cannon fuses. Contained fulminate of mercury. After pulling the cord they were pulled out and thrown on the ground. I've got tons if these relics... Live in central Virginia.. Surrounded by battles fields.View attachment 7335220View attachment 7335221View attachment 7335223View attachment 7335224View attachment 7335225View attachment 7335227
What is the device with the slots in it, second picture down?

cheers, Sirhr

Just finished watching the series. I am far from a learned student of American history but I really enjoyed the series. It's absolutely worth watching.

Half way through it and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

It's very faithful to Chernow's book and has a lot of the key moments that shaped his greatness as a leader of men.

I think one of the most telling moments was highlighted several times during the broadcast was his statement after the first night at Shiloh. "Whip 'em tomorrow, though." Every other general had gotten to the end of a tough fight and stepped back to lick his wounds and let the enemy recover. Not Grant. He kept up the fight. He understood, before anyone else, the operational tempo of modern and, daresay, mechanized war.

We think of the Civil War as a conflict like the Revolutionary war. But it was not. It was really the first Industrial Revolution war. No, we didn't have tanks and armored cars. But trains, monitors, steamships, mass-produced arms, telegraphs, mass-produced wagons and food, rifled muskets, repeating arms and, late in the war, repeating breechloading artillery... The Civil War was modern conflict. Grant was one of the first to understand that... along with Sherman.

They were a remarkable pair. There is a great quote from Grant that I have not heard in the series yet, but it went "Sherman stood by me when I was drunk. I stood by him when he was crazy. We stand by each other always." I may have butchered that. But you get the idea.

Enjoying this series immensely and as soon as Space-X either launches, scrubs or augers in... I'll be back on Grant.

Thanks, SH, for bringing this series to my attention. I get all my news from SH these days!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I liked that they took the time to show where Grant came from, and what could be achieved with work and guts. It really is an American story. Funny (sad) we're still fighting many of the same battles 140 years later.

Reactions: TACC
Everyone buy the ending commentary that the revisionist historians say the war between the states was only about slavery and had nothing to do with state's rights?