• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Phoenix Review

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia

Hey guys, my review of the Grayboe Phoenix just got posted up and I wanted to share it here with you all in case you were considering this stock. All in all I loved it and ended up keeping it to use in with my AAC-SD.

Grayboe’s Phoenix Riflestock: Custom Features, Value Price​

by Ian Kenney on March 25, 2021

Grayboe is one of the newer players in the composite stock game when you compare it to others like McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Manners Composite Stocks, B&C, and a host of others. Starting in 2016, they had a bit of a leg up in the game since the founder is Ryan McMillan, son of Kelly McMillan, the man behind McMillan Fiberglass Stocks. At present, they now offer six models to cover everything from hunting to tactical shooting with their latest being the Grayboe Phoenix stock. Grayboe was generous and sent me the new Grayboe Phoenix and one of their DBM systems to test out for this article.

GBP-1-1024x649.jpg
    The Grayboe Phoenix, a custom stock for the masses.

The Grayboe Process

Grayboe’s claim to fame is that they’re able to produce a quality stock at an affordable price and without the lengthy lead times that some stock manufacturers are burdened with. They do this by forgoing the typically labor intensive hand layup method and instead utilize a heat cured molding process. Grayboe keeps the recipe a close secret but the Phoenix is formed from a carbon fiber and homogeneous fiberglass epoxy resin mixture designed to keep weight down and strength up. During the molding process, many of the main features and embedded components are molded in such as the threaded inserts and aluminum bedding pillars. This helps keep the costs down since numerous employees won’t be required to CNC and/or install these features later.

GBP-4-1024x776.jpg
    A forend seems simple enough but there’s a good bit going on here that contributes to the stock’s versatility and the basis for all of it was molded in from the start.

The process isn’t perfect though and Grayboe will say there may be some cosmetic imperfections, however, they won’t affect the performance of the stock. These imperfections sometimes manifest as small air pockets, an action inlet that may look a little uneven in spots, and a small divot underneath the recoil pad. I reached out to Grayboe about these items and their representative was very straightforward in explaining everything that I was seeing. Sometimes during molding small air pockets will occur because of the heat and depending on where they’re at, they’re left alone. If air pockets occur in a more visible area though they’re filled in using the same material the stock is made from. The little bit of unevenness in parts of the action inlet and recoil lug pocket is due to that area being molded in, not milled out on a CNC after the fact. With all of that, I figured the divot under the recoil pad was due to the molding process also and I was correct. The rep explained that’s where the buttstock is cut after it’s popped out of the mold and since that area is covered by the recoil pad, they left it as is. In my opinion, all of these items are purely cosmetic and don’t take away from the functionality and performance of the stock. A decent skim bedding job will make most issues disappear.

GBP-16-1-1024x645.jpg
    There’s plenty of room in that action inlet area for aftermarket triggers or different bottom metal types. It’s truly drop the action in and go.

Phoenix Overview

GBP-2-1024x692.jpg
    Grayboe’s Woodland Camo pattern.

The Phoenix is a fully-featured stock with adjustable length of pull and comb height, multiple sling mounting points, MLOK compatibility, and very ergonomic curves. Grayboe will inlet the Phoenix for the Remington 700, most of its clones, and ten different types of bottom metal so most of the bases should be covered there. When I was picking the options on this stock I initially got it in a very generic setup for a short action Remington 700 with M5 bottom metal. Grayboe also offers the Phoenix in 19 different finishes from basic solid colors to hydro dipped camo options like Multicam and Kryptek. If you select a basic color finish, the Phoenix will ship in about four weeks, which it did for me, but the hydro dipping will add approximately 2 weeks to that lead time.

GBP-18-1024x748.jpg
    The MLOK slots on the bottom of the stock open up the possibilities for accessory attachment to include regular sling swivels, Arca plates, and Picatinny rails.

Out of the box, the stock was pretty much ready to go, I just had to make some minor adjustments to the length of pull and cheekpiece height but otherwise, I was set. As tested, my stock was right on the money at the advertised 2 lbs / 32 oz with 3 LOP spacers and the large T-handle cheek piece thumbscrew.

GBP-21-1-1024x928.jpg

I did, however, run into a slight issue and gained some insight along the way when I went to use my Bergara HMR in the Phoenix. I didn’t think about it before but the cocking indicator on the Bergara stuck out just enough to hit the cheek piece and prevent full travel. After a quick call to Grayboe it turns out they know about this and if you order a Grayboe and indicate it’s for a Bergara they’ll go ahead and notch the cheekpiece. Grayboe offered to modify the cheek piece and send it back or if I was comfortable doing it myself that would be fine too. Well, after five minutes with a round file I was back in business.

GBP-20-779x1024.jpg

All the clearance that was needed for the Bergara bolt to have full travel.

GBP-23-1024x771.jpg

The stock doesn’t come above the bottom of the ejection port so there’s no need to inlet for different ejection port lengths or side bolt release locations later on. To also facilitate a more universal fit, the barrel channel is left wide open, able to accept Remage barrel nut set ups and truck axle barrels up to 1.250” in diameter.

GBP-5-1024x965.jpg
    The forend shape is also a great combination for carrying, positional shooting, and for riding bags.

Sending Rounds Down Range

Since ammunition is limited at the moment, I used two different barreled actions to help me spread the burden a little bit and get a larger sample size for my evaluation. The MLOK plates on the bottom of the stock made it super simple to get set up for my Atlas bipod and be able to direct mount to a tripod. The ability to easily add and remove accessories using MLOK meant I could run the stock slick or “heavy” depending on what I was doing with the rifle.

GBP-10-1-1024x502.jpg

The Phoenix stock, combined with the HMR barreled action made for a great combination as a lightweight, long-range package.
    I couldn’t find much information on recommended torque settings so I tightened the action screws on the HMR to 55 in/lbs. To make sure there wasn’t any stress in the action, I loosened the front action screw to see if there was any movement in the barrel. If the action is stressed, the barrel will raise up as soon as the tension is let off the front action screw. In this case, though, the results indicated the action was not stressed and it appeared that any perceived unevenness in the action inlet wasn’t going to be a problem. When I performed the same test with the B14R the results were all the same, with no detectable stress.

GBP-8-1024x967.jpg
    The recoil pad is soft and squishy to help soak up recoil. The 1/4″ shaft collar is there as a reference point for when the cheek piece is removed for cleaning.

The HMR was the first rifle to send rounds downrange wearing the new stock but given the ammo shortage, I didn’t dawdle much at 100 yards. Shooting Hornady American Gunner ammunition the HMR turned out sub-MOA performance at 100 yards while zeroing. This performance continued at 200 and 300 yards, turning out some impressive groups at those distances on steel. The grip angle and palm swell felt great, everything aligned naturally to let my thumb rest along the top of the stock and my finger fell just right across the trigger.

GBP-9-1024x963.jpg
    The vertical pistol grip will feel right at home to anyone that cut their teeth on stocks like the A3 or A5 from McMillan.
    GBP-17-652x1024.jpg

The palm swell is subtle but definitely felt in the hand as you take up a position to shoot.
    I actually shot the Bergara B14R more with the Phoenix because I had a healthy amount of .22 match ammo to use compared to 6.5 Creedmoor. After dropping the rimfire into its new digs I used the B14R to run through some drills that I use to get ready for precision rimfire matches.

GBP-11-1024x810.jpg
    Shooting from barricades and multiple positions to simulate match conditions, the Phoenix really shined.

When I moved the barreled action from the factory stock to the Phoenix I was pleasantly surprised that the zero barely changed, only a few clicks up at 50 yards was needed. The five-round group on my practice target was sub-½”, which was more evidence the interface between the action and stock was just fine. The fit of the stock continued to impress me as I moved to drills that required me to transition to different positions quickly. The slim forend was comfortable and the flat bottom rode my Game Changer quite well off the barricade. The multiple sling attachment points also made it easy to set the sling up for more stability in standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone positions.

GBP-13-1024x978.jpg
    Even with all of the attachments on the bottom, the stock was still comfortable to shoot with the loop sling.
    GBP-15-817x1024.jpg

The target set I used for the practice drills. In the Phoenix stock, the B14R was as accurate and consistent as I’ve ever seen it.

Observations From Use

While using the Phoenix I did notice a couple of things that I wouldn’t really call faults, maybe just gripes and they’re minor. The first is the narrow cross-section of the buttstock and how it rides a rear bag. I’m used to stocks with a flat bottom or butt hook that are really made to ride a rear bag. The Phoenix has a more traditional profile with a sloped, rounded bottom that glides along a rear bag.

GBP-7-1-1024x789.jpg
    Buttstock profile.

This just meant I had to adapt my rear bag grip a little to accommodate the Phoenix to hold the bag in place under recoil. Once I did this, it kept the bag from sliding forward and me from having to reposition after every shot.

GBP-19-1-704x1024.jpg

Pinch the “ears” on the bag to keep everything in place. Note the notch on the cheekpiece, which is the factory notch from Grayboe for the Bergara B14 actions.

My only other real gripe is the bubble level. It’s a great feature and accurate, I verified it using a plumb line against my scope’s reticle and the level I have attached to the scope. However, my gripe is the color, the blue color makes it hard to see the bubble under some lighting conditions. Like I said, minor but something to think about if this gun may be used in low light situations, such as for hunting.

GBP-3-1024x853.jpg

Value

Cost is a big sticking point for a lot of us and rightfully so since not all of us can afford to throw buckets of money at something that may or may not work. The chart below makes a pretty fair comparison between the Phoenix and a few similar stocks on the market.

GBP-22-1024x834.jpg
    Although the other stocks can be adapted to use Picatinny rails and Arca plates, only the Phoenix allows the shooter to do it with no tools and using common MLOK accessories.

Closing Thoughts

After spending a good amount of time with the Grayboe Phoenix I think it could be one of the best values around in terms of rifle stocks. It’s a jack of all trades stock that could do very well built up as a long-range hunting rifle or precision rifle for long-range competitions. The MLOK compatibility opens a lot of doors on how it can be configured with accessories and support options. The ergonomics and overall aesthetic aren’t extreme, it’s not big and squared off, it’s slim, practical, and best of all lightweight. I think Grayboe hit a home run with this stock and if you’re in the market for a composite stock, the Phoenix deserves a hard look.

For more information on the Grayboe Phoenix and all of its options visit Grayboe’s website here.

Love mine too! My barrel channel is not perfect but that’s cosmetic and there’s plenty of space so no free float concerns. It required minor fitting for the bottom metal (Christensen factory hinged). I also asked to not have a bubble level on mine and they obliged. Love it so far. Great write up.

4-D7869-CC-00-A7-4-EB9-908-D-5-A58-CBE2427-F.jpg

Reactions: M77
    Im half way through a 10 week lead time for mine

Not you, sboone and his 10 week lead time. I knew that their hydrodipped stocks have a longer lead time but was just wondering if it had to do with that or waiting on a specific pattern.

I do like your sponge paint job though. Kinda mottled like ATACS-FG camo. I've been thinking about bedding mine also because I just oh so love bedding stocks haha.

Reactions: Genin
    Not you, sboone and his 10 week lead time. I knew that their hydrodipped stocks have a longer lead time but was just wondering if it had to do with that or waiting on a specific pattern.

I do like your sponge paint job though. Kinda mottled like ATACS-FG camo. I've been thinking about bedding mine also because I just oh so love bedding stocks haha.
    I thought you were talkin about the paint job to 😁 it turnes out a verry nice. Im gonna do something similar but with a coyote shaped sponge, maybe a triceratops shaped one and let my kid go to town on it lol.

When I ordered it was a 6 week lead time for just basic paint, I am getting a Tikka CTR inlet which adds another 4 weeks. Wanted the coyote fur hydrodip but extra money and extra time for a job that will get worn down with use anyway didnt see the value other than awesomesauce points

Reactions: YotaEer and Genin
    Oh I gotcha, I was just curious. I sponge painted another one of my stocks awhile back and liked how it turned out but it never occurred to me use shape sponges, that'd be pretty cool.

I thought you were talkin about the paint job to 😁 it turnes out a verry nice. Im gonna do something similar but with a coyote shaped sponge, maybe a triceratops shaped one and let my kid go to town on it lol.

When I ordered it was a 6 week lead time for just basic paint, I am getting a Tikka CTR inlet which adds another 4 weeks. Wanted the coyote fur hydrodip but extra money and extra time for a job that will get worn down with use anyway didnt see the value other than awesomesauce points

interesting. I was supposedly the first person to order one for the tikka CTR inlet, which included a GAP splash camo dip. After about 6 weeks, they said they weren’t happy with how it turned out and the sample rifle wasn’t feeding well. It’s been another 2 weeks since then and Ryan told me it should be shipping this coming week. That would be about 9-10 weeks total.

Reactions: sboone
    interesting. I was supposedly the first person to order one for the tikka CTR inlet, which included a GAP splash camo dip. After about 6 weeks, they said they weren’t happy with how it turned out and the sample rifle wasn’t feeding well. It’s been another 2 weeks since then and Ryan told me it should be shipping this coming week. That would be about 9-10 weeks total.
    I ordered mine off the website on February 22

Reactions: YotaEer
    Good review! i just got mine in the mail last week. just waiting on the scope to get here and ill have it ready to shoot.

How would you compare it to the KRG? I struggle with paying 2x as much for the Bravo, or 2/3 the price of a McMillan or HS.

Compare it in what way? Let me add that it's tough to compare two stocks where one is an aluminum chassis and the other a more traditional carbon composite stock. I can pull pros and cons for each but that doesn't mean they'll be the same for you or someone else.

The aluminum chassis brings strength, modularity, and adjustability to the table with built in features like a DBM system. The Phoenix is also modular to a degree, strong but maybe not as strong or rigid as a hunk of aluminum, and while you have the option for a DBM it's something that has to be bought separately. However, the composite stock gives you the option to not run a DBM if you don't want or need it. You could then have a smooth bottomed rifle with some modular features, full adjustability, and also be lightweight. Compared to a McMillan stock you're getting a lot of features in the Phoenix that you have to pay extra for with McMillan and the lead times are significantly less. Ergo wise they're really close, fit and finish wise the edge would go to McMillan but the Grayboes aren't junk either.

It's sometimes a game of give and take and the Phoenix is a stock, I don't think you'd be disappointed going with it.

Last edited:
    looking at a Phoenix for a 300wsm tikka build , seems to tick all the boxes so far . Thanks for the review

Mine was delivered today
    Order Feb 22
    Ship date May 6, delivery on 11th

Weight was 33oz AFTER I installed a seekins precision 13 slot rail on the MLOK. 10oz lighter than the B&C M40 I was using.

There was paint/material on top of the pillars that made a notable mush when attempting to torque action screws, I had to chip that off. It doesn't seem like the pillars run all the way through either to the bottom metal. Dont know if they are supposed to or not? And they are fairly oversized to the action screws as compared to the B&C stock? Time will tell I suppose if thats an issue.

A little flex in the fore end, but no more than the previous stock. Non issue for me as long as the whole system can still sling bullets well. Cant wait to use it, definitely a better fit to me and more comfortable.

Attachments

• 20210511_190244.jpg
      20210511_190244.jpg
      336.7 KB · Views: 1,188
    I wish I could say the same I ordered one for a build im doing and i van 100% say I would not waist my $$$ on it again . I ordered it in March was told 12 weeks and 18 weeks later I got this pos in the mail.

It was not milled correctly the dipp jog looked like a 3 year old dipped it . The finish work was crap

I email them and told them no way, was told by the owner we new it looked like this but we new you wanted it for a hunt. I was shocked that owner admitted to it looking like crap but sent it anyway. I have all the emails to prove it.

I sent it back was told I would get a new one in 4 weeks now im on the tail end of 5 weeks and still no stock. If some one asked me if i would recommend grayboe stock i would say with 100% confidence no way.

View attachment 7700255View attachment 7700257View attachment 7700258
    Fark ... That looks like absolute shit.
    Not acceptable at all, I'm really reserved on dropping my cash on one

Why am I reading emails between you and the company? Just give us a summary. Yes, they totally screwed up, but not sure that your emails with them should be public.

Reactions: spife7980
    As the OP, I don't really care about the issues and it reads to me like Grayboe was bending over backwards to make it right. Almost everyone in every industry is having delays in their lead times so I'm not sure why anyone is shocked at this point by them extending out.

If you have beef with Grayboe that's fine but maybe start your own thread about it.

you are correct i can do that i apologize i will start my own