• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Great weekend! Looking for a youth rifle

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
I had the best surprise this past weekend. When I woke up early Saturday morning. My daughter, who just turned 7,was up and told me she had a question for me. I told her sure. She told me that she wanted me to take her to the gun range today. She said that she had thought about it and she wanted to go! I told her that I would love to take her today. As she ate breakfast I gathered my stuff. She was so excited as we packed and drove over to the range. After we got checked in and got our lane assignment, we talked about gun safety. As she got settled in behind the rifle,(marlin 25N), she took her first shoot, and was all smiles! Out of 125 rounds she let me take 5 shots! Made me proud!

Which rifle would be good for her to shoot? The marlin I have is not a youth size. She has informed me that her own rifle would be a great Christmas present! Any and all help is appreciated!

Re: Great weekend! Looking for a youth rifle

Good for you. Got to start them young. Make sure you make it entertaining for her. Try to find some good place to shoot other than a range so you can shake up some soda cans and maybe some tannerite. That will keep them coming back for more.

AI-AX 50?
In israel I started my kids with an old Remington single shot and Beretta model 70 pistol, when they will grow up a little they will get an Anschutz 22 for target shooting and M-4 for plincking
Always nice to hear about the next generation' good luck
Oh I would also consider a Ruger 10/22 youth I saw some thread here about someone that painted the rifle in pink for his daughter

There's a bunch out there

the best bang for the buck when it comes to the shrunken rifle models is probably the savage rascal, more upscale than the crickett, comes in many colors, drilled and tapped, has accutrigger, doesn't look or feel like a toy.

then there's the crikett.

probably the nicest is the CZ scout

marlin xt comes in a yourth sized stock.

the savage mkii comes in a youth sized stock too.

IMO, the scout, xt or mkii is nice as you can replace the stock later when their arms grow, plus they are repeaters unlike the rascal and crickett.

Started my daughter on a CZ 452 Scout at around 8. I got the wood stock and not the "PINK" composite one (heard about that, but just couldn't). I put a Weabver V16 on it and she loves it! I also took her to the pistol range, but she informed me that right now she prefers the rifle. She is also very protective of the rifle. I keep it locked up, but if I even hint that I would let someone else shoot it, I am in the dog house! It is a great feeling being out at the range with your daughter!Steven

Thanks, I think that I will check into the scout.
Thanks for your imput.

I picked up a Henry 22 youth lever a month or so ago. I've always kind of liked lever guns and it's a fun little gun. Haven't shot a whole lot with it yet but the boy knocked a lot of squirrels out of the trees when we went out.
I looked at the crickets which were too small for my kids. The rossi youth I didn't like at all. The safety is on the left side of the receiver. Can't see making right handed kids reach under/ over/around to flip the safety off/on.
The Henry though doesn't have a safety...

If your daughter is small for her age you might have to go with the youth gun, but I'm a big fan of something like the Marlin XT-22 with a couple of inches taken off the stock. As she grows you can glue/screw the piece back on bringing it up to full size.
My own father did this 50 years with a .22 Mossberg. I still have it and shoot it regularly.