• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Green lasers temperature concerns and operating.

yocan

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Detroit
Ok so green laser for a SHTF zombie gun is IMO stupid. Doesn't work in extreme low or extreme high temps. Hence why I would never put one on a rifle as a static gameplan.

However I don't understand the physics, so thinking if carry concealed and I went with a green laser crimson trace on a pistol would it operate in the cold? I assume like my friends that put grease on their 1911s the bodyheat will keep it warm enough to operate.

Basically if my body heat does keep it working, will it rapidly cool and cease working? Or do I have 20-30 minutes of useability after the draw in 0 degrees farenheight?

All comes from thinking of appendix carrying without a light a green laser would be the next best thing. I rry with a VG2 (currently and MP but thinking of switching to a glock 19)

So people understand what I'm talking about http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...perature-comparison-red-green-laser-27-a.html

Last edited:
There is a new generation on green laser diodes coming out as apposed to DPSS the new ones which will work in low temps. at least down to zero with no problems and up to rapid firing temps with no problem as well. Were calling ours native green other companies will follow suit Im sure.

This is probably too much information...

There are too many factors to give a quick easy and precise answer for how long it will last.

0F is not as simple as 0F: relative humidity and dew point (condensing), windchill, etc. will factor in.
The design of the Laser unit will determine its internal thermal management, ie. how much internal heat is generated when the unit is on, and what it uses for cooling and dissipation. This will determine the actual internal operating temperature of the device compared to the external temperature. Which can affect how long it will operate at reduced outside temperatures.
The Laser Diode is only part of the equation as the rest of the electronic components are likely to be only commercial temperature specifications* unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
Battery service life and efficacy is also affected by temperature, which also varies by battery chemical type. Most batteries do not function well below freezing (0C non-condensing), although some manufacturers produce high-temperature-range cells such as Panasonic's H.O.T. coin cells that operate from -40F to +257F.

Relying on a laser in the first place is imho an issue, since ballistically there is only one distance from the firearm where the projectile and laser will intersect.

All of that said, "will a conceal carry pistol with laser maintain its operation for 20-30 minutes from body heat in 0 degrees fahrenheit" - most likely, yes it will, plus-or-minus 10 minutes depending on actual atmospherics and the laser's design.
If the laser was left outside below freezing for long enough it might cause issues such as the battery freezing and breaking/leaking.
Bringing it indoors may then cause condensation issues, so it should be correctly warmed up or appropriately handled if there is condensation.
As an electronics technician (BEE) from 1979 through 1995 in The Great White North I have used numerous commercial electronics devices outside in the middle of winter, with no ill effect other than the very shortened operating lifespan of the batteries.

* Typical electronic component operating ranges are:
Commercial: 0C to 70C
Industrial: -25C to 80C
Military: -55C to 125C

There are some components that have lesser or greater operating ranges than listed above.
Storage ranges are typically greater than the operating range.
Devices stored for long periods at or below the minimum storage temperature should be correctly warmed to prevent component damage and condensation, prior to being powered on. They make electronic component drying ovens for this purpose.

Last edited:
I may have some info that will be helpful for people worried about grease on 1911's and similar weapons in cold weather. About a month ago I had my first chance to try out a rifle that I had switched over to froglube. I don't work for the company, nor do I have any financial interest in them...I'm just a guy who got some samples of their product, so I tried it out.

I followed the instructions for application, and on my way to the next pratical rifle match, my car showed the low temperature as 12 degrees farenheit. During the day, the temperature was between about 18-20F, with the high reached around 3 PM of 25 F. My rifle was a semi-auto 6.5 Grendel, and I didn't have a single malfunction. The rifle stayed outside from when we started our set up around 8am, until the shooting started at about 10:00 AM, so the rifle got a good chance to adjust to the ambient temperature.

When shooting a rifle with any sort of grease or oil in those temperatures, I would normally expect malfunctions from the lube thickening up. The frog lube gave my rifle the slick feeling that the Beretta 92's have, rather than it's normal feel. Even after the match when I got home to think about cleaning things up, it still retained that slick feeling. So I haven't even cleaned it yet, and the next match is tomorrow. But temperatures tomorrow should reach a high of 45 F, so that won't tell me anything new.

You might want to give that product a try if you are worried about lube thickening in cold weather. I'm sold on it.