• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grey Birch chassis ?

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    Anyone have any experience with Grey Birch chassis? I am thinking about getting one for a tikka t1x, but I don’t see much feedback from actual users.

Anyone have any experience with Grey Birch chassis? I am thinking about getting one for a tikka t1x, but I don’t see much feedback from actual users.
    I have a Volquartsen 10/22 SS action, carbon fiber barrel, SS forward blow comp in the Gray Birch DLX chassis. The scope on it is the March 1.5-15 x 42. The fit and finish of the chassis is excellent. Magazines insert with no effort, lock in place with no wiggle, very important to prevent lead shaving and they drop out with out hesitation. The combination, chassis, VQ and March Scope makes for a very light and accurate combination. 1 MOA or less at 100 yards with Eley semi auto benchrest all the time. I did add soft material to the cheek weld and strongly recommend the Ergo Tactical deluxe Zero Angle Grip. My next build will be a VQ Summit and it will be in the Gray Birch chassis.

Reactions: 264win
    I have the Grey Birch LaChassis for T1X chassis, and use it for both PRS ELR and STAG competitions in Ireland (Republic). I purchased it on Brownells Germany website and have been running it for almost a year.

I wrote an initial impressions review a while back in FB.

In short, it's pretty nice and light, which meets my requirements for STAG shooting competitions (no sling allowed for standing or sitting/kneeing positions). Plus it's stable and has many features that supports my PRS ELR shooting (although you may need to add some M-LOK weights). I like it (except for the price... about 20% more expensive than an MDT LSS-RF build but lighter weight).

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the chassis. Cheers!

Last edited:
    Reactions: 264win
    Did you end up doing any business with Grey Birch...? Been thinking about a Takedown 10/22 LaChassis from them but no phone numbers, no reviews, an a bunch of guys batching on their Facebook page got me a little skiddish...

Last edited:
    Did you end up doing any business with Grey Birch...? Been thinking about a Takedown 10/22 LaChassis from them but no phone numbers, no reviews, an a bunch of guys batching on their Facebook page got me a little skiddish...
    Yes, as I mentioned on my previous reply post. I've had the chassis for almost a year now. It was a good feature, function and weight compromise for PRS ELR and STAG shooting competitions.

See my initial impressions review in FB via the provided link (there's a few pics in review). You have to login to FB to see it.

There's also a Grey Birch LaChassis for T1X video review on YouTube by Badger (a video guns and gear reviewer).

I have one for my CZ457 that my son runs for PRS Rimfire. It's very solid and feels good but it's definity on the smaller side.

I just picked up one for my CZ457. Looks and feels nice. Just need my rifle to arrive now.

Last edited:
    Having trouble with the folding stock. The lock screw arrived already set on the inside. Pushing up and pulling down on both sides and can't budge it. Is it super stiff?

Having trouble with the folding stock. The lock screw arrived already set on the inside. Pushing up and pullinto force to force g down on both sides and can't budge it. Is it super stiff?
    I had the same issue with mine. The fix for me was a combination of Butches bore shine and Kroil oil mixture applied to the hinge and working it back and forth. To unlock the stock it's best if you place the hand grip upright on a table and push the stock butt down with the other hand close to the hinge making sure to keep the two parts parallel, other wise it will bind. Then work it back and forth until it feels smooth. Don't let the stock swing all the way back into the fixed position until it feels okay. Hope that works

Reactions: RxT and mnhoj
    Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.
    I had the same issue with mine. The fix for me was a combination of Butches bore shine and Kroil oil mixture applied to the hinge and working it back and forth. To unlock the stock it's best if you place the hand grip upright on a table and push the stock butt down with the other hand close to the hinge making sure to keep the two parts parallel, other wise it will bind. Then work it back and forth until it feels smooth. Don't let the stock swing all the way back into the fixed position until it feels okay. Hope that works

I purchased 2 and wished they offered different stocks and a longer forend like 13-15”

Thanks for all the responses.
    My chassis has arrived and looks to be exactly what I wanted. Excellent fit and finish for the cost as well.

the only small issue is that the included action screws are the wrong size. Could some do me a solid and pull one screw out and measure its length?
    According to their website both screws are the same length, so if I can figure out what that is I can grab a couple at my local hardware and be ready to hit the range.

Quick follow up for anyone else interested in this Chassis,
    After a quick trip to the hardware store to get the missing screws I put everything together and added my B/A.
    Everything went together very easily and functions well.
    A trip to the range showed almost no change in zero and accuracy at 50, 100, 200 yds was as good or better than before.
    The whole package as pictured with NXS 2.5-10 weighs 7lb 15oz and is very comfortable to carry and shoot.

Attachments

• B2786406-00E3-4862-9655-2D7690F9458B.jpeg
      B2786406-00E3-4862-9655-2D7690F9458B.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 501
    • C3333C48-3E39-47C4-A7C0-1C983D53748E.jpeg
      C3333C48-3E39-47C4-A7C0-1C983D53748E.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 721
    • 9F3B76B9-F5AE-4142-AFC0-11D94488F9E2.jpeg
      9F3B76B9-F5AE-4142-AFC0-11D94488F9E2.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 506
    From this:
    20230721_175608.jpg

To this:
    20230722_151728.jpg

I just installed into the chassis today but it's too damned hot to go shooting here in Phoenix. So far it feels nice though. One thing that wasn't too impressive was the missing hardware. I had to go to the local ACE Hardware and buy the screws to attach the forend and both action screws as well as one of the trigger guard screws.

Last edited:
    Nice! 👍🏽

My only complaint was the cost of the chassis,... especially compared to the price in the US. It's far more expensive in Europe in Euro.

Mine came with all the parts from Brownells Germany,... except the Grey Birch sticker,... but I got the Grey Birch 5-degree angled pistol grip instead (it was stated that the pistol grip was not included). Sorry to hear that you had missing parts.

Enjoy shooting with your new chassis (looks very nice)!

Attachments

• 20221230_124702.jpg
      20221230_124702.jpg
      689.1 KB · Views: 159
    Having trouble with the folding stock. The lock screw arrived already set on the inside. Pushing up and pulling down on both sides and can't budge it. Is it super stiff?
    i had the same problem until I put my thumb on the pivot point and pressed there. Magically unlocks as if you pushed an unlocking button and no need to polish anything. A sample of one but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is normal.

KIDD Supergrade. I replaced the rear setscrew with a nylon tip setscrew to tighten up the rear of the action. I have since added Bag Rider and replaced the stock hand grip with an MDT Vertical Grip. Really like the chassis.

KIDD SG Gray Birch III.jpeg

KIDD SG Gray Birch.jpeg

KIDD Supergrade. I replaced the rear setscrew with a nylon tip setscrew to tighten up the rear of the action. I have since added Bag Rider and replaced the stock hand grip with an MDT Vertical Grip. Really like the chassis.

View attachment 8212287
    View attachment 8212288

Mine just got here. So it came with only one set screw?
    Instructions said 2 but they were all outdated?

Did you torque the rail to 15inch/lbs and the 2 on the folder to 40inch/lbs?

Nylon tip set screw from a standard hardware store?

My chassis came with one set screw. It bugged me that I would mar my receiver/trigger housing with metal to metal contact so I ordered some nylon tipped set screws from Amazon. It makes me feel better and they hold it secure at the rear. I just hand tightened the rail and screw to make the folding stock non-folding. I added the Grey Birch Bag Rider and MDT Vertical Grip as I like ergos better.

KIDD SG, GB, MDT,Bag Rider copy.jpg

What did you torque these to?

Would it be safe to go by...

3/32 = 15inch/lbs
    5/32 = 40inch/lbs

1696634633213.png

That should be fine. No need to overthink that part. Focus on the torque for your action screw and optics.

Now just have to hunt down a EO grip. Oh man. Wonder how the CZ grips would do on this.

Attachments

• 1022v3.jpg
      1022v3.jpg
      277.6 KB · Views: 118
    Now just have to hunt down a EO grip. Oh man. Wonder how the CZ grips would do on this.
    Look at the (MPA EVG Enhanced Vertical Grip if you like shooting with a thumb rest and more importantly it places your trigger finger at a right angle to the trigger. Have one on my Volquartsen 10/22 in the Gray Birch chassis, great addition.

Reactions: usafa77
    Look at the (MPA EVG Enhanced Vertical Grip if you like shooting with a thumb rest and more importantly it places your trigger finger at a right angle to the trigger. Have one on my Volquartsen 10/22 in the Gray Birch chassis, great addition.

I did see those.
    I think I'm just too in love with the EO. Want it to match my other rifles. Just spent too much hunting them down. It's like I have to complete out the set.

1697331361943.png

The MPA has a big gap between the stock and the web of your thumb, for me it wasn’t comfortable at all

The MPA has a big gap between the stock and the web of your thumb, for me it wasn’t comfortable at all
    Depends on how you place your hand. I prefer to have my thumb on the right side and the gap is a none issue. If you use a full grip then it can be and issue with the gap. As I said in my original post, "If you like shooting with a thumb rest" .

Apologies for this question,
    Is this where the rear action screw is to be installed?
    Some of you are using plastic?

Attachments

• PXL_20231102_172534866.jpg
      PXL_20231102_172534866.jpg
      241.3 KB · Views: 73
    Took my 457 out of a MPA chassis and dropped it into the GB chassis. This thing is tiny. Like a toy. Would make a good childs first rifle. Machining and finish look good. The 457 has a gucci trigger spring, bolt knob, and Proof 16" CF barrel. This barrel has always shot surprisingly well but it really impressed tonight. I shot CCI SV and my bottom shelf SK Standard Plus. It was a little harder to shoot than the MPA chassis and definitely my RIM X in a weight-kitted MPA but it really impressed at 99yds

1000003792.jpg
    1000003799.jpg
    1000003798.jpg
    1000003789.jpg

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m