• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grey Ghost vs Mega Maten for new AR10 build

mercervillerental

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2019
Having just completed my first AR15 build I'm diving into my first AR10 build. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Grey Ghost or Mega Maten receiver set, based largely on near term availability and general reviews I've seen of completed rifles.

Anyone have first or second hand experience building from scratch using either?

Where are you gonna find a maten receiver set? If you got a time machine, I’ll pay for the gas.

Can you pick me up some 9mm & 223 and deliver a letter to my past self advising me to dumb every last dime into S&W stock by February of 2020. That would be great thanks.

Reactions: mercervillerental
Maten uppers and lowers in stock.

Primary has them too

Reactions: hellishot
I have a Maten .308 that is a fantastic sub MOA shooter. Important parts - Mega 16" barrel, Geisselle trigger, JP BCG, adjustable gas block. The rifle is one of my all time fav semis. Every once in a while I think of changing it to a different caliber but I just can't bring myself to do it because it shoots so well. I want to put a slimmer handguard on it because I'm using the Mega one and it's a big fatty, I prefer slimmer.

Didn't GG use Mega receivers? I thought they did but might be wrong.

I have a Maten .308 that is a fantastic sub MOA shooter. Important parts - Mega 16" barrel, Geisselle trigger, JP BCG, adjustable gas block. The rifle is one of my all time fav semis. Every once in a while I think of changing it to a different caliber but I just can't bring myself to do it because it shoots so well. I want to put a slimmer handguard on it because I'm using the Mega one and it's a big fatty, I prefer slimmer.

Didn't GG use Mega receivers? I thought they did but might be wrong.

lol so I might be picking the same thing either way? I hadn't heard that about Mega/GG but thought that Zev bought out Mega a couple years back.

So tempted to grab one of those receiver sets, I will be kicking myself so hard once they dry up for good.

So tempted to grab one of those receiver sets, I will be kicking myself so hard once they dry up for good.

I've been doing the same every 6 months for a few years now...they are still around....haha

The Nickel boron sets i grabbed a few years back are super slick. Now those have been gone for a while now

Reactions: MPrimo
A514EA7A-14D8-4B5A-AB98-0BA43DC333B3.jpeg

Hello All. I’m a brand new member on Snipers Hide, and this was the first thread I saw after registering. Mega MaTen receiver sets are currently available, I just picked one up for my first AR10 build yesterday. I got the ambi billet lower with MML-14 upper/handguard assembly. Mega has an excellent reputation and this set appears to have excellent fit and finish. In addition to the ambi features, I like the MML uppers because the handguard attaches to the upper, giving it extra rigidity in addition to the monolithic look. I don’t think you will be disappointed if you choose Mega.

It’s been addressed already, but for those mentioning a time machine, Mega was bought by ZEV about two years ago . ZEV sold off the Mega inventory, rebranded some products with ZEV logos and stopped producing others. A couple months ago, ZEV did a run of the original Mega AR15/MaTen designs, with most of that inventory going to large online retailers. You can find a post by Rainier Arms on Facebook that announced it. Those items are selling pretty quickly, so buy soon if you want Mega.

OP, for what it’s worth, a local shop had a Hrey Ghost set in-house, so I checked that out too before buying Mega. As shown above, Grey Ghost is machined by ZEV (Mega). The machining/quality is the same, but the design/style is different, made to Grey Ghost specs. Grey Ghost set was nice. I chose Mega simply because I liked the design better.

They had some online at DSG Tactical, but sold out while I was spec’ing other components for the build. I think they still have the MML-12 though, if you are interested in a 12-inch. Yesterday a local shop in MI (Oakland Tactical) added them to their website. They had two, I got one.

I saw someone selling one on AR15.com too, but it had a small blemish or handling mark in the anodizing. Would be ok if you were coating it though.

Looks like Oakland Tactical may have sold out, but I would call to confirm (they didn’t have lowers posted on their website, but had two in-stock). DSG Arms does still show the MML-12 Upper on-stock on their website.

While the MML is sold out, JSE has upper receivers, lowers and receiver sets in stock.

I have a safe full of MEGA billet receiver sets both AR15 and 308... if your going MEGA go all in and grab a Bartlein from Craddock, a RCA or JP BCG, SLA AGB, Geissele trigger, JP SCS, SLR handguard and you'll have one of the most accurate larger frame gassers you can buy...

I just bought the receiver set yesterday so thanks for helping me fill out the rest of my shopping list!

Hello All. I’m a brand new member on Snipers Hide, and this was the first thread I saw after registering. Mega MaTen receiver sets are currently available, I just picked one up for my first AR10 build yesterday. I got the ambi billet lower with MML-14 upper/handguard assembly. Mega has an excellent reputation and this set appears to have excellent fit and finish. In addition to the ambi features, I like the MML uppers because the handguard attaches to the upper, giving it extra rigidity in addition to the monolithic look. I don’t think you will be disappointed if you choose Mega.

It’s been addressed already, but for those mentioning a time machine, Mega was bought by ZEV about two years ago . ZEV sold off the Mega inventory, rebranded some products with ZEV logos and stopped producing others. A couple months ago, ZEV did a run of the original Mega AR15/MaTen designs, with most of that inventory going to large online retailers. You can find a post by Rainier Arms on Facebook that announced it. Those items are selling pretty quickly, so buy soon if you want Mega.

Where did you find the handguard combo? I just got the receiver set but haven't gotten a handguard yet

Where did you find the handguard combo? I just got the receiver set but haven't gotten a handguard yet

Mega makes the upper/handguard combo in 3 lengths: 12/14/16 inches. I bought the 14 inch from Oakland Tactical. I think they are sold out now, but I would recommend to call because their inventory was messed up on their website. DSG Arms has the 12 inch in stock on their website. I couldn’t find the 16 inch anywhere.

Just read your post a 2nd time. The MML upper is different than the regular upper, the handguard attaches directly to it. (See photos I posted previously.)

If you already have your upper, you would need the wedge lock handguard. Those were rebranded with the ZEV logo after they bought Mega. Same design, different logo. DSG Arms also has those in stock in 14 & 16 inch.

I built my AR-10 on a KAC upper and lower but used the Mega barrel and had zero issues. Overall the accuracy is very good.