• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Grey Squirrel, safe to gut after rigor passes?

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Hey guys,

I bagged a Grey Squirrel this morning while out hunting, roughly 11:20 this morning. Temperature was between 30 and 34 degrees. I opted not to gut on the spot. Got him on ice at 2:30 and just took him off about 30 minutes ago.

He's still stiff and I'm not really able to get him malleable and workable. I'd like to get an entire pelt off him and also save him for meat. Abdominal cavity is intact, seems he took the shot (shell) to mostly the head and upper torso.

Would it be safe to keep him in the fridge over night until rigor passes? Or is that going to be too long with the guts in?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What did he score?

You may be the first person who ever "caped a squirrel".
Eh, I wasn't thinking, long day. I meant to say I'm trying to get an entire, intact pelt off him.

He's not huge or anything, body is like 11.5" long.

I'm just trying to work on my skinning and knife skills.

I'm really more disappointed for you that you went squirrel hunting and came hone with a single squirrel. That's brutal. You'll have to hunt all month to get enough to make a pot of dumplings at this rate.

I'm really more disappointed for you that you went squirrel hunting and came hone with a single squirrel. That's brutal. You'll have to hunt all month to get enough to make a pot of dumplings at this rate.
Eh, I'm fine with it. This time last year I was still struggling to turn door knobs and I couldn't safely walk around the neighborhood, and I couldn't get a gallon of milk out of the fridge.

Now? At least I'm out hunting. Even if some dumplings will take until end of season.

So about these guts, am I going to screw myself if I leave this guy intact, in the fridge until morning?

Appreciate the help.

• Wow
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway