• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Griffin Explorr 224 baffle strike

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Had a baffle strike on my Griffin Explorr 224 can with my Bergara HMR 223. I've shot about 2-300 rounds with the same setup, but today was different.

First I was sighting in a new optic on my AR15 with 11.5" Faxon barrel with Griffin Taper muzzle break, shooting some reloaded 55gr Vmaxes. Shot about 40 rounds getting it sight in. All my impacts were as expected.

Then I took the hot can off and put it on the Bergara again with a Griffin Taper mount. I was working up a load with 77smk and wanted to chrono them before settling on that load. I fouled the barrel first with a load I previously used with 69smk. I was not wearing ear pro with this gun. 2nd shot sounded funny and impact was about 2" off, but I shot another (I know I shouldn't have.) and it's impact was again 2" off from where it should have been. This gun shoots 1/2moa. Then I checked and sure enough there's a nick in the end cap and a baffle I believe. I took it off and put on my Griffin Paladin 300 and continued shooting. Accuracy was back to 1/2moa.

Those first 69smks that I shot with the Explorr that hit the target don't have a perfect round hole. Looks like they went in a little crooked. The 77smk that I shot with the Paladin 300 had perfectly round holes. I've shot 69s before on this Bergara with no problem.

Thoughts? Did the damage happen with the 11.5" AR or with the Bergara? Is this common and just happen?

I sent it back to Griffin to get fixed.

Rob

Is it common? No. No one would be happy to shell out several hundred dollars, + marry themselves to a suppressor via the NFA tax stamp, if they were going to be ruining the accuracy of their rifle and tearing up their investment with baffle strikes. But...

Does it happen? Yes.

So Griffin says they can EDM the bore and send it back but end cap damage will visible. Or they can send me a new one. I guess if the performance isn't affected I'll have them clean up the bore and sent it back. Otherwise I would image I would have to go through the form 4 wait with the new one.

I love it. It's my only 22 cal suppressor my other two are 30s. For the size and weight it's great, I can't tell a sound difference between it and the Paladin 30.

So Griffin says they can EDM the bore and send it back but end cap damage will visible. Or they can send me a new one. I guess if the performance isn't affected I'll have them clean up the bore and sent it back. Otherwise I would image I would have to go through the form 4 wait with the new one.

Am I missing something? Why would they EDM the bore? Why aren't they cutting the baffle stack off and welding a new baffle stack on and recoating the silencer? One of the main reasons to use a tubeless design is that it's an easy repair by cutting the damaged baffle stack off. Unless their TIG weld beads are too wide, melting material into areas that makes it hard to repair, and they're using a different construction method beyond just a simple overlapping joint.

Am I missing something? Why would they EDM the bore? Why aren't they cutting the baffle stack off and welding a new baffle stack on and recoating the silencer? One of the main reasons to use a tubeless design is that it's an easy repair by cutting the damaged baffle stack off. Unless their TIG weld beads are too wide, melting material into areas that makes it hard to repair, and they're using a different construction method beyond just a simple overlapping joint.

My thought exactly.

Possibly, it is cheaper for them to offer a replacement than to refurb the original...

"Repair or replace, at our discretion..." is pretty common language in warranties.

Reactions: FishinGuns