• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Grill makers/users

jolofree

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Sooner Nation
I'm building a new custom Santa Maria type grill similar to the Hooray grill.
Is it worth the considerable extra expense to make the actual cooking part of the grill (30"x60") out of stainless steel ?
Would 1/2" round or square stock be better over time or is that a Ford vs Chevy question ?
I'm thinking about putting in square stock 'set up' like a diamond 🔷 instead of square, kinda like an Argentine grill.
Thanks

We have a 'Boo-Geee' BBQ shop not far from our house. Been in there a few times getting specific grilling items and such. But they have a HUGE showroom of fancy-schmancey BBQ's that run up to $15,000.00 easy. They are all stainless steel, round or square grills, (never seen diamond) and fancy LED knobs.

Running off propane OR natural gas.

If any of that stuff -and the fancy nameplate- is worth it, I have no idea. I will say this though, it is a LOT easier to season a cast-iron grill than it is to season a stainless pan. What I'm getting at, cooking wise, is that unless using a good amount of a good fat (oil, butter) a dry stainless pan will cause food to stick, and stick good. Not the same as cast-iron. And yes, our propane BBQ has cast-iron grills. I find they are much better than the enameled/glass coated steel.

Not sure if this helps you or not, but I'll be following along as it is going to be interesting.

I’d say yes. I’ve had whole hog roasters made out of steel and stainless. And much prefer the stainless. A lot easier to clean and maintain. Especially when the unit will live it’s life sitting outside.

The steel cookers needed degreased, sanded down, and repainted every few years to keep the rust at bay. The stainless cookers got power washed only.

I see the logic in going cast iron with griddles, skillets, Dutch ovens etc where you could be worried about food sticking. But for grilling….making burgers and steaks….just hit your stainless grates with a little duck fat or cooking oil before you put the meat on.

I’d say yes. I’ve had whole hog roasters made out of steel and stainless. And much prefer the stainless. A lot easier to clean and maintain. Especially when the unit will live it’s life sitting outside.

The steel cookers needed degreased, sanded down, and repainted every few years to keep the rust at bay. The stainless cookers got power washed only.

I see the logic in going cast iron with griddles, skillets, Dutch ovens etc where you could be worried about food sticking. But for grilling….making burgers and steaks….just hit your stainless grates with a little duck fat or cooking oil before you put the meat on.
I'd agree with the above. Conventional steel used in smokers will need much more maintenance labor than SS. It can also rust if not properly cared for. That is really the only advantage to using SS.

On the downside, if you're doing long cooks with wood and/or lump, a heavy steel grill with heavy steel lid will retain heat much better than stainless as it is a poor conductor of heat. I would also guess that you wouldn't use stainless of the same thickness as steel without spending a fortune so it is a double whammy.

Good luck with your project.

Okay, understand your logic, this grill will be burning mesquite & lump charcoal.
Thanks
Spoken like a true Okie BBQ'r, not one of these prissy propane cowboys.

Real BBQ needs wood smoke.

Reactions: Nik H
"But for grilling….making burgers and steaks….just hit your stainless grates with a little duck fat or cooking oil before you put the meat on."
Definitely agree w/ Jigstick here.
I'm leaning towards making the box out of 1/4" carbon steel for heat retention & cost and the grill grate out of 1/2" stainless bars set on edge for ease of cleaning and longevity. The rotisserie will be of stainless hex w/ the motor offset.
Thanks for all replies.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer